Rockler's New Silicone Glue Brush is it worth the price?

Review by thedude50 posted 844 days ago 3487 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler's New Silicone Glue Brush is it worth the price? Rockler's New Silicone Glue Brush is it worth the price? Rockler's New Silicone Glue Brush is it worth the price? Click the pictures to enlarge them

Your shop is probably filled with tools or accessories that you use all the time but never really give them much thought, I know mine is. Today we will take a look at one of those tools; The glue brush.

For years we have all used those little disposal acid brushes costing about 20 cents a piece. They work fine, so why change it? Well unless you spend the time washing them and picking out the dried glue bits, you throw them away just like I do. The first thing to consider is simply the cost. Counted up over a year or so it can add up some serious pocket change. In all honesty the cost is really the only factor that matters here, although living in a pro-recycling world we should pause to consider the number of dead brushes we all toss into your local land fills, working with a reusable brush will definitely cut that number down. Okay I know I am reaching for justifications but it really must be a lot of brushes, Please read this entire article By Clicking Here

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

eddie

Dude no justification needed here its just good common sense.the factors you mention is real and it dose add up .i read a book many year ago that changed my way of thinking on thing as this. the book “Your Money or Your Life” is a good read on a vary of issues. in a nut shell why waste when you don’t have to.i use a silcone butter spreader myself and its reuseable. but the brush seem far better and they were on sale for a while .i intend to get one.

View GrandpaLen's profile

GrandpaLen

Lance, thanks for posting.

Daniel, thanks for the review.
While my contribution to wasting the Natural Resources used in making the metal handles amounts to a drop in a bucket, collectively we woodworkers fill that bucket many times over during the course of a year and beyond that we only need to remember that a flood starts with that first drop of water.
As a Worldwide industry of even hobbiest woodworkers, this would make a noticible savings of Natural Resources.
Those little brushes don’t take up much room in a landfill and they may even be made from recycled metal but when I bring them to the shop there future is a dead end.
I for one am saving the little acid brushes for the few times the Silicone brush won’t do.

It’s not nice to abuse Mother Nature. – Len

-- Mother Nature should be proud of what you've done with her tree. - Len ...just north of a stone's throw from the oHIo, river that is, in So. Indiana.

View Enoelf's profile

Enoelf

Nice write up.
If I could make a suggestion on your website? I suggest that you change the font that you are using to something in the Verdana/Tahoma family around 11pt. The background image that you are using as wallpaper combined with the 10pt Times New Roman style font really detracts from the readability of your page.

Just my .02$

Thanks for sharing.
Well done.

-- Central Ohio, Still got 9 and 15/16 fingers!

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

4997 posts in 1936 days

I have been using the lead acid brushes for years. I bought mt last pack of 40 brushes at harbor Freight ovr 4 years ago and I wash the brush by hosing it off with the hose just outside my shop door. Of the 40 brushes that were originally in the pack I have used 3 or 4. I use primarily Tight Bond glue but I do use epoxy when i glue up oily woods such as Cocobolo and Teak.

I have been looking at one of those Rockler brushes for when I use epoxy since the epoxy cannot be cleaned off of the lead acid brushes. Have you used the Rockler glue brush with epoxy glues and how does it ckean up after epoxy???

View BubTheBuilder's profile

BubTheBuilder

I too have used the metal flux brushes that you buy in bulk. About 3 months ago though, I decided to purchased this Rockler Wood Glue Brush and I gotta tell ya…I fell in love with this thing. I had my doubts at first, especially with the glue possibly not drying all the way deep inside the brush. After allowing it to sit overnight though, the glue was dry and crumbled right away. I love the design because it reminds me a lot of a ceramic tile thin-set trowel. I brush the glue on evenly with the short-side and then spin the brush to the longer bristles and it leaves nice lines of glue that allows for a better setup and good seating of the glue. I would like to purchase one of two more just for the sake of using them with other glues and/or bonding liquids. I HIGHLY recommend that you buy one of these brushes to anyone who does not have one.

-- Richard-- "If it ain't tight, then it ain't right."

View abie's profile

abie

Available in the 99 cent store for 99 cents called “a basting brush”
my 99 cents worth

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

thedude50

I have asked asked Daniel to increase the size of the font to a 13 as it is easier to read. I don’t know if he will change the font to the one you seek because someone else will say it distracts from the site. As you know you cant please everyone and we still try to please everybody. Being i am over 50 I like bigger fonts but I can always turn up to zoom in the browser.

Greg I didn’t do the tests for this Daniel did and I don’t know if he tested epoxy.

I too have used and washed my acid brushes for a long time, but very often I am on to something else and i forget the brush and it gets tossed. I thing its is a good Idea and i like the rockler bruss.

Abie do you have a picture of this brush you speak about ?

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I have been wondering if this was worth buying…seems like it. Thanks for posting the review

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View crashn's profile

crashn

i went to the ‘dollar’ store, they had them, only they were 2 bucks. Still picked up a couple, cut off the long brissells a bit shorter and they work great. Missed the sale at rockler, but based on WWMM adivce, tried these and they work the same.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

what is wwmm

eddie

wood working for mere mortals

i think rockler still has them at 3.99

View Tyrone D's profile

Tyrone D

I plan on getting one of these. I find with the acid brushes, the brissels fall out and really make a mess.

-- --Tyrone - BC, Canada "Nothing is ever perfect, we just run out of time."

thedude50

do they have the spatula on the other end

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

This is kinda FUNNY…

This is how I spread glue in Glue-Up:

I go to my Scrap Bucket next to my Band Saw…

If I am doing a laminating type of glue-up where a lot of glue has to be spread, I look for a piece maybe 2”-3” wide, like a piece of 1/4” plywood, file over the edges & faces to remove burrs, etc. & to clean it up. I squirt the glue out of the bottle and spread it around using my New Made spreader… works great… I make sure it’s long enough to when I’m done, I can lay it down on the edge of the bench with the wet side hanging over the edge. When dry, I set it aside & will use it again and again until I lose it or throw it away…

If it’s small area to be glued like edge to edge gluing, I go to the same Scrap Bucket and get a smaller piece… maybe 1/2” – 1” wide, I squirt out the glue bead down the middle of the edge, & merely use my spreader, Flat Side Down on the glue edge… and I just Pad it Up & Down, spreading the glue over the edge… For a Dado or Rabbet groove, I tend to use the very End of the piece to Pad up/down & side to side… Works like a charm.
Do it the way you find that works… simple.

Does not cost me a cent… and really works great!

As the dried glue gets thicker & thicker upon reusing it, it tends to make it easier to spread/Pad the glue…