Good for the price-that's it

Review by Woodshopfreak posted 03-23-2008 05:21 AM 1641 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good for the price-that's it Good for the price-that's it Good for the price-that's it Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here are the bits that I bought about three months ago for some up and coming projects. I like these bits becasue they came in a huge set, I belive 16, and it was only $25. They make flat bottomed holes, angled holes, and are just very nice. They do have there downside tough. They are very hard to use if not useing in a drill press, they tend to not want to start if your useing a drill. Some of them also have a slight wobble which is not so great, but most of them are perfect. They also tend to clog with sawdust alot even if you come up to relive the saw dust chips. Overall they are great for someone that wants a pretty good quality set, but if you want ones that will be used daily go for the better set.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#1 posted 03-23-2008 06:52 AM

Forester bits are great. I’ve only used them in a hand drill in very soft wood and in small sizes.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#2 posted 03-23-2008 07:04 AM

Nice review Tyler. Forestner bits are very handy to have in the shop. I use mine quite often.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#3 posted 03-23-2008 07:20 AM

Forstner bit are great. I don’t know what I did before I got some.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#4 posted 03-23-2008 01:16 PM

Dittos on the Forstner bits. I have two sets—A cheapy with lots of bits and a fairly high end smaller set.

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2419 days

#5 posted 03-23-2008 01:49 PM

I agree, the Forstner bits are a “must” in the shop. I’ve never had much luck trying to use them in a hand drill either. Here’s a tip Tyler (you probably already know), try to keep them as clean as you can. They work a lot better. I keep a small paint brush by the drill press and brush the bits off before I return them to their case.

View dougdeg's profile

dougdeg

#6 posted 03-26-2008 12:02 AM

Hey do you all sharpen them or just buy new ones like myself, never had any luck with the file

-- Doug Cedar Log Furniture, www.cedar-stuff.com