Great workhorse Compressor

Review by Martyroc posted 803 days ago 2593 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great workhorse Compressor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After 15 years with my Craftsman 3 Gallon 125 PSI compressor, the brushes finally went. I looked about replacing the brushes which cost 1/2 the price of a new unit, since I have had many years of good service from this unit, I entertained the idea of buying new brushes. That was months ago and still no compressor, (WHAT?!?, Ive been busy!). This all changed when I needed to replace the brake pads on my van, it had been so long that I had taken the tires off with a crossbar, I forgot how much of a pain that was. Once completed, I decided I was going to buy a new compressor, no matter what.

I was looking at the Harbor Freight model, (21 Gallon 15 PSI, @169.00), as luck would have it there were none in stock in any of the 3 HF stores I had access to without driving 60 miles. The gentlemen at HF was very helpful, and said they would have them May 19th. I figured I have gone months without one I could wait another month. I then went to Lowes to pick up some hardware for some of my uncompleted projects. While I was there I figured I would check out the selection they had. As usual, the prices were not horrible but they were still way above what an HF compressor would cost. The porter Cable unit was reasonable but I had seen to many negative reviews and decided against it, also it was $100+ more. Moving on I came across this beauty. it was only an 8 gallon and I had wanted to get away from the small 3 gallon type, this wasn’t much bigger, but it had some features I could not turn down.

The Campbell Hausfeld unit was only 8 Gallon, but it was 200PSI, the ad Touted “40% MORE RUN TIME”, okay that sounds good. Oil less, never had one that didn’t take oil, that would be a handy feature. Compact Size, my shop is getting smaller every day, that was a very attractive feature. Although its warranted for 1 year the box says 10 Year life, as much as I use it, I’m thinking I can get 20 years out of it. Now the best feature $179.00, WOW, only $10 more and a trusted name in compressors, plus with the added value of Lowes, who never questions any return, and at least my Local store has great customer service.

I take the unit home, plug it in, open the drain valve and proceed to break it in. So far the only drawback I see is its a little loud, cant hear it over the TS, so I dismiss it. After break in I give it a test, I have some projects that need some small pin nails to keep it together and break out the pin nailer and plug it in, adjust the built in regulator and bam, no problems, bam, still good, bam, bam, bam, bam, and so on, working great so far I am pleased. A day goes by and I need to spray some outdoor urethane on the Picnic Table/Benches I just built, no change in pressure the whole time gauge is steady and I spray on to a sheet of cardboard to see if there is a hiccup when it kicks on, seamless, no change in outgoing pressure and still spraying perfectly.

So here are the points I could gather, Good Features:
Compact
Oil Less
Built in Regulator, (That works better than any other compressor I have used or owned)
Wheels and Handle for easy mobility
200PSI
Inexpensive

Not So Good Features:
A little Noisy, Thats all I have come across so far. If that changes I will update the review.
I will be putting it through the paces as the months progress, maybe I will find another good feature, maybe not so good, but so far I would recommend this to anyone for home hobby use. Much more satisfied than I think I would have been with the HF unit and only $10 more, cant beat that.

-- Martin ....always count the number of fingers you have before, and after using the saw.

View Martyroc's profile

Martyroc

View RussellAP's profile

RussellAP

Pretty cool find. I use the Stanley Bostitich, it came with three tools which are just what I need and want. I use the compressor mostly for air to blow some dust out of a piece of wood I’ve been working.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View wild bill franklin's profile

wild bill franklin

Hi Marty , I bought a 26 gallon husky electric air compressor from the home depot last year an i had it for about 2 weeks ,but was not satisfide with it because it would leak down overnite a was a little too loud for me so i upgreaded and bought the 60 gallon husky pro . It has a 5 year limited warrenty on it and i’m pretty satisfide with it . I will do everything i expect from it , but i had to get a regulator to go on it . It will not leak down when using my nail guns or spraying . Yours mybe alot differant from the one i took back . .......good luck !!

-- wild bill, Stapleton, Al