Great Workshop Helper - Horrible Directions

Review by teenagewoodworker posted 03-23-2008 03:39 AM 1438 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Workshop Helper - Horrible Directions No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

well i just got my second workmate so i figured that i could do a review on this one because it is the newer version (my old one was the one my dad had for about 10-15 years. it is a great little shop helper. it works at a vise, a workbench, and if you put a piece of plywood on it when it is fully extended than i little assembly table. there are many many little uses that you will find for this around the shop. they last a long time as my dad’s did also.the only reason why his broke was that i sawed through it with a circular saw because i forgot to shift it down and i just cut. so i made another top for it and now i have another use for it, i put my miter saw on top of it. even when its broken i can find uses for it. the only reason why i gave it 4 stars was because the directions are pretty bad. but at least they are good enough that i can understand them enough to get the thing together. also a couple of holes didn’t line up so i had to re-drill and the one for the pins in the handle was too small so i had to drill that bigger. otherwise i love this. if i had the change i would buy another one. its just a great little shop helper that you can find hundreds of uses for.

P.S. Also the vise is about (just a guess, trying to remember from when i made a new top for it) 24” long so it can accommodate big pieces and is ideal for locking down the pieces while planing.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#1 posted 03-23-2008 05:01 AM

I know arn’t these things just great. I have two as well. My dad had the workmate 300 I belive from around ten years ago and I bought one that is really nice, it’s the workmate 375 and it has this little bar that you have to pull and the whole thing collapses in less then five seconds. Then it has wheels to move it. It also holds my 90 pound behemith benchtop jointer, and does fine. It is rated to hold 300 pounds! These are really indespensible and are great to have around the shop. Great review.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#2 posted 03-23-2008 07:50 AM

Someone gave me one of those years ago. I still don’t think I ever used it.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#3 posted 03-23-2008 01:03 PM

I have my little lathe on one of these.

View ZachM's profile

ZachM

#4 posted 04-03-2008 09:32 PM

I stick my miter saw on one of these since I don’t have a real workshop.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#5 posted 04-03-2008 09:58 PM

I kicked one of these around for years, and you guessed it, I didn’t figure out a use for it until I got rid of it. I come up with things it would be handy for at least once a month. Oh, well.