Tool Shop Nailer/Brad Nailer-Stapler/Pin Nailer Kit

Review by 47phord posted 04-22-2012 12:36 PM 7691 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tool Shop Nailer/Brad Nailer-Stapler/Pin Nailer Kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this set up from Menards as a birthday present to myself. I had a Harbor Freight brad nailer that was, well, a harbor freight tool; a total piece of stinky-stuff. So, I was in the market for a new one plus I had been dreaming about getting a pin-nailer as well when I saw this kit on sale for $80. I picked it up after checking the return policy (knowing that ‘Tool Shop’ can be on par with ‘Harbor Freight’ in terms of quality) and took it home.

First I’ll give the basic specs: The 15 Ga. Nailer can shoot nails between 1 1/4” and 2 1/2” and has a capacity of 40 nails. The 18 ga. brad nailer/stapler can shoot brads from 5/8”-2” or staples from 5/8”-1 5/8” and has a capacity of 100 for both. The Pin nailer can shoot pins from 1/2”-1” and can hold 140 pins. You control how deep the fasteners go on all three by varying the air pressure. All three tools come with a sample set of fasteners so I was able to test them right away. The hardest wood I have on hand right now is Oak, and all three drove their respective fasteners into that with no trouble at all. The safety interlock on the 15 ga. nailer is a little chunky but not bad. The interlock on the brad nailer is completely unobtrusive so you can see exactly where you are shooting. The pin nailer doesn’t have a safety interlock, so don’t point it at anyone (or your hand for that matter). All three also have have a flip-up cover on the front for easy jam-clearing; which I haven’t had to use yet.
I’ve used all three on various projects and I must say I am very happy with all three. True, I am a weekend woodworker and as a result these don’t get used constantly so I can’t say how they would do in a more strenuous environment. For the money and my needs however, I can’t imagine a better deal.

View 47phord's profile

47phord

View brtech's profile

brtech

#1 posted 04-22-2012 02:49 PM

When you shoot a brad on the combo brad/stapler, what does the dent look like?

On the HF combo, the tool makes a staple sized dent even if you are shooting brads. It’s not very big, but it’s much bigger than the dent a brad-only tool leaves.

How big is the pin nailer dent?

Sounds like a pretty good deal

View 47phord's profile

47phord

#2 posted 04-22-2012 07:09 PM

brtech:
It still leaves a staple-sized dent. I don’t think that’s a problem you can get around with a combo unit unless it comes with a selector for brads or staples. You can minimize it considerably if you play around with the air pressure (which, admittedly can be a pain). The pin nailer really doesn’t leave a dent, just the tiny hole where the pin went in.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#3 posted 04-22-2012 07:50 PM

I had a nail and finish nailer. Awhile back I got a pin nailer. I can’t believe how much I use it, often to hole wood while gluing. It shoots a needle sized nail that is a speck on the wood afterwards. And they hold amazingly. Much more than I would have thought. I have a porter cable and it shoots 1 3/8 so it makes it really good for 3/4” wood. I have it set up permanently in the shop.