Finally can breathe safely!

Review by gillyd posted 854 days ago 2503 views 7 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Finally can breathe safely! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After trying a few masks, this one is definitely the best so far. I rarely give 5 stars, and in fact this is my first 5 star item that I have used. Its comfortable, inexpensive, and has a down firing exhaust that prevents any condensation on safety glasses. The adjustments for the straps are easy and it has the best detachment mechanism so you aren’t wearing out the adjustments.

Cost: ~$20

I am using the following particulate filter.

I am also using the following organic vapor cartridge when doing finish work.

The woodwhisperer was right, this is a very nice mask.

View gillyd's profile

gillyd

View Bagtown's profile

Bagtown

That’s pretty nice for $20.00

-- Mike - In Fort McMurray Alberta

Chris

So… How long are the different filters good for? I have a DC and usually have the garage door open when cutting so I don’t get a large amount of airborne dust hanging around but there is some.

I’ve got that respirator, top notch piece of equipment. I still don’t like breathing through a respirator, but I figure it beats the alternatives…

One thing you didn’t mention that should be brought up is the down firing exhaust of this thing. It doesn’t dump your exhaled air onto your glasses like most do. No fog problems…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

The filters last a loooong time. Replace them when it starts getting harder to use, or you start sneezing? I use them for finishing as well- the 2097 has ‘nuisance’ level vapor protection as well as the p100 particulate rating. You won’t smell the wax/paint… much. They do a very good job. They also soak up the shop smells, so don’t hang them next to you poorly sealed container of mineral spirits you cleaned the spray gun with. Ahem.

I considered the other organic vapor cartridges, but I wasn’t sure how they rated for particulate (sprayed paint particles are bad to breath) Bro-in-law’s works in a bodyshop and this is their goto mask and filter. You can dial in the mask’s straps to the point where it’s far more comfortable than the skinny straps on the p95 disposable white masks. I find the only time it fogs my safety glasses is when I’m rockin a burly beard and/or it isn’t in the ‘right’ spot.

I don;t have dust collection other than a vac and I wear that mask the whole time I’m in the shop, usually 2-4hrs at a time. I don’t notice it much anymore. I also don’t cough and sneeze the next day.

Big fan of it and the filters.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

ya at home depot you can get just the particulate filters for cheap.
love my mask, wear it all day

-- Ben L

View rodman40's profile

rodman40

Highly recommend the D-100 filters, use all the time.

-- Rodman

View Ryan Haasen's profile

Ryan Haasen

I have one very similar, it works great and I am getting in the habit of always wearing it in the shop considering that I don’t have any dust collection or air-cleaners. A shop vac is good enough for me.

-- Ryan

View amagineer's profile

amagineer

Ditto. I bought this a couple of months ago and wondered why I waited so long.
-Don

-- Flaws are only in the eye of the artisan!

View Retrowood's profile

Retrowood

I have the same Respirator, Great product. Read the instructions well, they need to be cleaned properly and disinfected. Once you start wearing one and get comfortable with it on, you’ll wear it all the time when using chemicals, saw dust, etc, of course with the correct filters.
Retrowood

-- Retrowood

View crashn's profile

crashn

I wear a very similar one I bought at HD, got so comfortable in it that I forget that it is on and walk outside the garage and into the house sometimes. I have also gotten a couple of strange looks from the neighbors, I think they think I am cooking dope or something in the garage. I keep expecting the police to show up looking for drugs, when all they will find is a saw dust filled shop :)

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

Chris

So I noticed that these 3m Respirators have a size S/M/L; anyone have an idea as to how they size them specifically?

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

Just ordered mine, I needed this. Thanks for the review!

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

Chris it should fit snugly aorund your nose and chin. The way to tell if its working proeperly is to cover both filters with your hands and breathe in deeply. If the mask kind of collapses around your face you got it on right, if it doesnt you got a leak some where and could use a tightening or readjustment. Might be able to google “fit test” for respirators for a bit more info.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

Chris

lol I know how to adjust a mask…... I was asking what delineated the Small – Medium – Large categories available for this mask.

View Scroller47's profile

Scroller47

Thanks for this review. It sounds like something I need to be getting.
John