Onyx 2000

Review by onninn2 posted 04-19-2012 11:20 PM 3398 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Onyx 2000 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After looking around for the last year at all the major brands all I kept hearing from the salesmen was it’s almost as a good as a powermatic and you can save a few bucks. The sawstop is a great safty feature but the saw itself in my opinionj is only fair. So I splurged and got the black onyx single phase 3 hp. I do have one complaint and that is the wood extension table. I understand the need for a lite table as when you lift the saw thye extension table cantilivers out there. They could have added some drop down wheels on the legs to support extra weight. The legs attach with 4 wood screws into plywood and compressed wood. I used the wood scews in the top and replaced the two on the side with nuts and bolts. This is about the only thing wrong with this saw that I can see. I took my time to put it together and it took about 4 hours. The only adjustment that I had to make was on the fence, it rode a little to high off the table for me and I set it at 1/32. The fence even being that low glides perfectly. I will let you guys know more after I actually make some cuts. This board really helped me make my decision along with the 7 1/2 year warranty on the saw. I imagine they don’t think anything will ever go wrong with that kind of warranty

View onninn2's profile

onninn2

#1 posted 04-19-2012 11:47 PM

”I will let you guys know more after I actually make some cuts.”

Another 5 star review on a yet to be used machine …gotta love it !

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

#2 posted 04-19-2012 11:48 PM

Congratulations on the new saw. I know it is a great feeling to get the table saw of your dreams. Best of luck on using it to it’s full potential.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#3 posted 04-20-2012 02:18 AM

Where did I just read about a guy growling about his PM? He bought it sight unseen…........
Congrats on your new saw

-- Life is good.

View bladedust's profile

bladedust

#4 posted 04-20-2012 03:30 AM

I got my PM2000 about 2 years ago and after spending several hours putting it together, I was very angy and disappointed because I had not adjustments to make. Everything was dead on. Love this saw.

-- ok, is it cut once measure twice, cut twice measure once???? I know....I'll just keep cutting until it's long enough.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#5 posted 04-20-2012 08:27 PM

Congratulations! Most of the time you can tell a quality machine by the way it is made, how it fits together and how it feels when you’re making adjustments. I’m glad to hear Powermatic is still keeping it’s customers happy. I hope your PM saw gives you many years of satisfaction—I bought my Model 66 back in 1994 and to this day, I enjoy it every time I use it. I haven’t had to readjust anything since I initially set it up—dead on.

View doordude's profile

doordude

#6 posted 04-22-2012 04:30 AM

congrats on the new purchase. now you can make some wood scraps.

View RajinCajun's profile

RajinCajun

26 posts in 2093 days

#7 posted 07-15-2012 06:11 PM

The starter solenoid on my PM2000 failed after less than one year. It was a bit of a hassle with PM customer service to get it replaced, because I expected someone to come figure out what was wrong, and they only wanted to talk me through it on the phone. I talked to two or three service techs with attitudes before I finally got through to someone who was very helpful and in fact walked me through the replacement process. they shipped out the replacement part immediately. It has performed perfectly ever since then.
So, like you, my reaction to the saw immediately after assembly was complete satisfaction. soon after I was very frustrated with powermatic. Now, almost 5 years after the purchase, I’m completely satisfied with the saw’s performance. I have checked everything a number of times for alignment, flatness, squareness and so on. It is all dead on perfect.

-- Its a HOBBY...I already have a job.