Best Dovetail Saw I've Ever Used

Review by teenagewoodworker posted 03-22-2008 09:30 PM 10250 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best Dovetail Saw I've Ever Used Best Dovetail Saw I've Ever Used Best Dovetail Saw I've Ever Used Click the pictures to enlarge them

just to clear this up i haven’t used many dovetail saws so i have nothing to compare this to but for 12$ at Home Depot this saw is just amazing. i can cut straight, at an angle, or any other way i want to cut and the saw stays on track. the back pull seems so much easier and i love how it can also be used as a flush cut saw. also the blade is replaceable so i don’t have to buy a whole new one when it gets dull ( but for 12$ i would buy a new one). for anyone looking for a dovetail saw who can’t spend a ton i would recommend this saw. i would even recommend it to people who have some extra money to spend and who could get an expensive saw. this is such a great all around saw and i love it greatly!

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#1 posted 03-23-2008 12:30 AM

sounds like a great deal.

-- making sawdust....

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#2 posted 03-23-2008 04:57 AM

I like marples tools too. Will look for this saw next time I’m in Lowes.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#3 posted 03-23-2008 05:41 AM

Cool. I have been locking into marples chisles at home depot, they around thirty bucks or so and look pretty nice. I’ll have to check out this saw. I have been wanting a pull saw and I saw (no pun intended) a irwin flush trim/pull saw thing that looked pretty nice but it had to big of a kerf I think. Good review. Nice price as well. :)

-- Tyler, Illinois

View flink's profile

flink

#4 posted 04-04-2008 01:49 PM

I’ve got one of these. I love it. It’s come in handy doing repairs around my house. I recently needed to put some dowels into a doorframe to provide something for the hinge screws to bite on (it’s a long story) and this was perfect for trimming them almost flush (I sanded the rest).

I have one of their general carpentry saws, too. It’s a fast, clean cutter, and even easy to use when sawing wood balanced on a ceiling joist while hunched under a rafter in the attic ;-)

-- Made lots of sawdust and pounded some nails. Haven't finished anything, though.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#5 posted 04-04-2008 06:38 PM

Nice review. Thanks.

View BigBard's profile

BigBard

#6 posted 03-05-2009 05:30 AM

that saw is truly wonderful! never regret buying it!

-- Carolina Panther fan!

View Gerardo's profile

Gerardo

#7 posted 05-19-2010 10:50 AM

I have this same saw, and yes, it is quite amazing :) however, does anyone know where I can purchase an extra saw blade?

#8 posted 05-20-2010 04:36 AM

thanks Dennis

View MacVane's profile

MacVane

#9 posted 03-17-2011 06:35 AM

Great saw, easy to put a kink in the blade though. Keep easy strokes. No clue where to get a new blade; Irwin owns Marples now. look online. For 12 bucks, get a new one, I bet a blade and shipping is more.
Perfomes great with good stroke.

View skone's profile

skone

#10 posted 01-14-2012 01:19 AM

i love this saw. correction: loved. it’s trashed. i agree that at the price, it’s a great saw. don’t count on finding a replacement easily. whether yours is marples, irwin or some other brand—- it seems to be all the same saw manufactured by Shark Corp. from what i can tell that’s (if online) who you should be searching out for a new blade. and then it’s nearly the cost of a whole new saw. as has been stated. i’m moving on to something else i think. it was like a hot girlfriend i once had. been there. done that. ready for something that will last a bit longer.

-- "Take extra care not to lose what you feel" (Winwood/Capaldi/Wood)

View Adam D's profile