Bosch Variable Speed Orbital

Review by ZLSBOARDWORKS posted 825 days ago 2931 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch Variable Speed Orbital No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

To start off this is a great little orbital. I have used others in the past and have found this one to be the best, or the one that I like the most as of lately. I was at one point a really big supporter of the variable speed porter cable orbital, I was able to use them on a daily basis. At the shop we used to really beat the hell out of those sanders, but they never seemed to quite. I mean some of them did but most of the time they just kept on chugging. Only problem with the PC though is that they vibrated like crazy, and if sanding for long periods of time it would give your hands a work out. I have also used the Dewalt orbital. I didn’t have it but two days before I sent it back, it was absolutely terrible. It made this loud rumbling/rattle while you where using it, also like the porter cable it to seemed to vibrate quite a bit. This new orbital that I have now by Bosch, def takes the cake when it comes to how quiet it operates. Ive beat it up a bit and it doesn’t seem to be waring, its holding up to daily use. The vibration with this sander is very minimal and it produces a great swirl free finish. The only downfall that I see with this orbital is the micro filter dust system. Not really necessary in my point of view. If it had a canister like the PC it would top all other sanders in my opinion. I am still a firm believer in the porter cable sanders but for now I prefer the Bosch. If you are looking into orbitals these are the two that I would choose from. If there are others out there that do or do not feel the same way about these orbitals let me know I would love to hear what other people have to say about the orbitals that are out on the market today.

Regards
Zachary L. Swain

-- Zach @ http://www.zlsboardworks.com

View ZLSBOARDWORKS's profile

ZLSBOARDWORKS

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

I have this ROS; I agree with your comments; it works well and has minimal vibration. I don’t use the dust canister, I have it hooked up to my Shop vac which seems to do a good job in collecting the dust.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Zeppelinator's profile

Zeppelinator

I have used all of those 5 inch random orbits. I liked the Makita but finally broke down and got a Festool Rotex with a vacuum. I do a lot of sanding as I make my own veneered panels and I needed something more aggressive that also got rid of the dust so I could see what I was doing and for my health. Had a six inch porter cable that was pretty good but made a mess.

The Festool is so much better than anything. It can do both aggressive sanding and fine, capturing all of the dust at the same time. I could never go back. It is very durable. There is a similar bosch model for half the cost but in my mind the Festool is worth it.

-- Thom, Westport, www.thomscottstudio.com

View rockindavan's profile

rockindavan

I got the ROS about a month ago. Compared to my old rigid, the ROS pulls around way too much. The rigid would stay in place without more than a finger on it while the Bosch pulls around like an ouija board. I don’t know if I got a lemon but I don’t really trust it when sanding surfaces narrower than about 4”

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1908 days

I had an older Bosch that might have been a lemon, but the hook and loop disk on the model had plastic pieces holding it in place that constantly self destructed.

I got a 5” Dewalt recently that so far has worked great and hooked it up to my small shop vac so dust collection is very nice.

Bosch in general I think makes very nice tools, and they probably improved over my previous ROS, but I wasn’t ready to go back on the ROS.

View rawdawgs50's profile

rawdawgs50

I got this sander a couple weeks ago along with a different one to replace a few older ones. I thought it was very good as well.

I think its cartridge works great and the dust collection hooked up to vacuum is excellent as well.

I was actually good enough I wrote about it here:

1+ on the sander, I like it too. It is the best for the finer grits. I prefer the aDewalt for coarser grits because it is more aggressive (higher amp moter).