A remarkable blade

Review by gfadvm posted 04-16-2012 12:23 AM 3442 views 3 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A remarkable blade A remarkable blade A remarkable blade Click the pictures to enlarge them

I resaw a lot of really hard woods like Bois de Arc, Mesquite, and Jatoba and have been using 2 or 3 TPI resaw blades but felt like they were very slow and required too much force to push the material through them. I called Timberwolf and they suggested a new resaw blade. It is more expensive but T Wolf says they will outlast 5 conventional resaw blades so I ordered one. I’ve used it to resaw oak, hard maple, and Jatoba so far and I’m really happy with it. It goes through 6” of Jatoba like it was balsa. It literally cuts faster than my tablesaw! I’ll have to wait to weigh in on it’s longevity. An added bonus is no blade drift on my 17” Grizz Extreme Series. First pic compares it to a 2 and 3 TPI. Next pics try to show cut quality: 1 or 2 light passes through the planer eliminates all saw marks.

View robert triplett's profile

robert triplett

#1 posted 04-16-2012 12:32 AM

I will be interested to hear how it stands up. I like the woodslicer blades, but they dull fast. I read a review of Supercuts blades and may give them a try. Thanks for the info on Timberwolf.

-- Robert, so much inspiration here, and so little time!

View Monte Pittman's profile (online now)

Monte Pittman

#2 posted 04-16-2012 12:50 AM

What’s the difference in the blade?

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

#3 posted 04-16-2012 01:00 AM

Monte, Look at the comparison pics. The new blade has fewer teeth, MUCH deeper gullets, and is BI-metal (whatever that is). The deeper gullets keep the sawdust from packing in the blade and causing heat and crud buildup. This blade still looks very clean after all I have sawed with it and Jatoba tends to crud up resaw blades. This is the first 1 TPI I have seen.

View vonhagen's profile

vonhagen

#4 posted 04-16-2012 01:02 AM

i was going to try that blade but then found the lenox trimaster. its a carbide tipped tripple chip 3tpi it cost 300 bucks but my saw will cut 13 1/2 thick and at full depth on hard maple it slices like butter and leaves an almost perfect smooth edge and the kerf is 1/32 the blade is suposed to last about 5 years without sharpening. it also cuts metal and thats what is designed for until woodworkers started using this blade. starrett also makes a similar blade and also makes one called the woodpecker and its a flexback for 19 bucks. i love to resaw and let me know how this blade you got stands up. so far i have made .030 veneers without jointing inbetween passes and stitch them up for a perfect bookmatch. i scored on my old davis and wells , they just dont make saws like that anymore, its so smooth running i can hardley hear it. anyway keep us posted on the performance of your new blade

-- no matter what size job big or small do a job right or don't do it at all.

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7148 posts in 2020 days

#5 posted 04-16-2012 01:17 AM

hey there Andy, i finally saw your video today of your wonderful shop, what a great work space, im also glad to see you have gotten some enlightenment on a new band saw blade, and that its working so well, enjoy it, i know how its like to get a new blade on the table saw, when it cuts light butter, this new band saw blade must be heavenly after what you were using…enjoy buddy…

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View LittlePaw's profile

LittlePaw

#6 posted 04-16-2012 02:15 AM

I am following our progress with the new blade, Andy and if it stands up to your hard use, I’d be getting me one, provided they make a 72” for my ShopSmith.

-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.

View Roger's profile

#7 posted 04-16-2012 12:29 PM

thnx for the review Andy. Good to know. I like TW blades also

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View mondak's profile

mondak

#8 posted 04-16-2012 12:43 PM

I have been using the timberwolf blades for about 4 yrs now and they are real good blades. At present, I have a 3/8 3tpi blade in my 16” BS. I use it for resawing and/or just cutting. Yup…..they get my vote.

15138 posts in 1906 days

#9 posted 04-16-2012 03:44 PM

Nice review, I use these blades as well. I have always been on the look out though being mine seem to dull quicker than I would like. Will be interesting to hear how your yours holds up.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#10 posted 04-16-2012 07:48 PM

Bimetalic. If you buy a hole saw that’s bimetalic you can use it on metal although it will dull quicker if you do. I try to buy bimetalic sabersaw blades for my Bosch, when I do they simply never dull at all. Eventually I’ll bend or break one though so I don’t really know how long they’ll last. And they cut faster. I make a lot of stair stringers. At the end of the day a quickly dulling blade is a pain. These don’t give me any problem. So, if this bandsaw blade is bimetalic I’ll bet it goes a long time.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#11 posted 04-16-2012 09:30 PM

Wow 1 TPI!

Bimetal generally means that the teeth are a different metal than the rest of the blade, the teeth are hard to hold an edge and the rest of the blade is pretty flexible and tough for durability, in essence a carbide blade is a bimetal blade.

#12 posted 04-17-2012 12:30 AM

Ken90712, You use these bi-metal 1” x1TPI TW blades and have problems with them dulling quickly? Or are you referring to other TW blades?

View AHuxley's profile

AHuxley

208 posts in 2039 days

#13 posted 04-17-2012 05:24 AM

For those that have ask Bi-metal or M-42 bandsaw blades are made by welding a strip of high speed steel for the teeth to a spring steel back, the HSS is then hardened, normal wear rate is 5-10 times higher than a normal carbon blade, carbon blades have RC of around 64, M-42 around 66.

@Robert Triplett the reason you have seen TW blades dull quickly is you are comparing the Silicon Steel versions, they will be initially sharper but wear faster than carbon blades. In general I have no use for high silicon steel blades.

The low TPI bi-metal blade will give quick and cost effective resawing but for much better finish a variable pitch carbide resaw blade such as the Laguna Resaw King and Lenox Trimaster will give far superior finish and last even longer than bi-metal, this is due to the vibration reduction of the variable pitch and the gound teeth with no set. They do however have a higher initial cost but long term they are actually lower than all other types of blades due to durability and the ability to resharpen them 3-4 times.

View Bob817's profile

Bob817

#14 posted 04-17-2012 01:23 PM

I too was impressed with timberwolf with my 12” Craftsman, resawing was like cutting butter.

-- ~ Bob ~ Newton, N.H.

#15 posted 04-17-2012 04:14 PM

AHuxley, Thanks for the reply. That is good information. The Lenox carbide is currently out of my price range and I am very satisfied with the cut quality from this blade for now.