Review by Rex B posted 741 days ago 10244 views 5 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
What do you get if you cross a Grizzly with a Polar Bear? Some sort of Hybrid??? What do you get if you cross a Grizzly with a Polar Bear? Some sort of Hybrid??? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Background Info:
Prior to owning this saw I made all of my cuts with a circular saw and a straightedge. Once I decided that I was interested enough in woodworking to dedicate half of my garage as a shop, it was time for a table saw. I did a lot of research and had pretty well decided on this saw. When I found out that I would be in Springfield, MO on Black Friday, I knew I had to check out the Grizzly showroom. While the Black Friday deals were pretty lousy, I ventured into the outlet store and found this machine. It was for sale for $675 (list price was $795) because it had a scratch in the cast iron top and a broken insert plate. The insert plate had actually been replaced and that item was crossed off the tag, and I don’t think they raised the price any after doing this, so I got an even better deal. This damage was from shipping; the saw was still brand new. This price, along with being able to save another $100 by hauling it home myself (versus ordering online and having it delivered) were enough to convince me to jump on this deal. The scratch is about 1.5” long and is located a few inches from the front edge in the center of the saw. It wasn’t bad to begin with, and I used some 2000 grit sand paper to remove any raised edges, so it’s no problem at all. With the help of two strong friends, I was able to move the saw from the bed of my truck to the ground pretty easily.

Experiences and Opinions:
I have now been using this saw for more than 4 months, and love it! I have it hooked up to 220V and have had no power issues so far. I have cut into a block of cherry at full cut depth (3-1/8”) to aid in resawing and had no trouble. It is powerful enough to cut hardwoods quickly without burning. The cut quality is very good, and I haven’t even replaced the stock blade yet. I have used an 8” dado stack quite a bit with this saw, and it has performed without any problems.

The saw was assembled when I got it (being a scratch and dent item), so I can’t comment on the assembly process. I measured the blade alignment to be about .001” and the 90 and 45 degree stops to be spot on, so I didn’t have to do any major tweaking. The fence took some adjusting, but it was all simple and easy. I also had to align the extension wings a bit, but no big deal. I haven’t had any problems with the fence getting out of alignment so far, which is one of the main complaints I have seen in other reviews.

The included miter gauge, as others have noted, is pretty sloppy. I almost always use a crosscut sled, so this isn’t a big issue. But every once in a while I do need to use the miter gauge, so I ended up fixing it by tapping a few holes in the bar and inserting brass set screws. It’s easy to adjust out the slop now.

The cabinet base contains quite a bit of the dust produced. I don’t have it hooked up to any dust collector yet, so I just vacuum out the cabinet every so often. When I looked inside the cabinet after a few months of use, I found quite a bit of dust buildup on the motor, which I don’t like, so I think the 2HP Harbor Freight DC is in my near future.

The included blade guard seems very clunky, so I haven’t ever used it. But I do ALWAYS have the riving knife installed (except when cutting dados). It doesn’t interfere with my crosscut sled either. The start switch for the saw takes a pretty hard push to activate, which I view as an added safety feature. And the off switch has a large paddle that can be pushed with a knee if necessary.

Conclusion:
In summary, I have had a great experience with this saw and would not hesitate to recommend it to others. It is solidly built, and the fit and finish are good. The fence and the blade controls operate smoothly and easily. The fence rails provide a perfect place to install a router table extension (which I have done). My future plans for this saw are: new blade, shop-made zero-clearance insert, dust collection, and eventually an outfeed table.

-- Rex

View david_larch's profile

david_larch

I just recently picked up this saw. I finished setting it up a few days ago and have been wondering about adding an additional wing similar to your router wing. can you share how you mounted it?

View crashn's profile

crashn

I also have this saw and a HF 2hp dust collector. The saw is at the end of the run, but still the dc does a good job of collecting most of the dust, just some that remains in the corners. I have the peachtree cast iron router table mounted on the left side, as my right side sits up against a wall. When I need to cut large panels, I roll the saw to the left some, since it is on a mobile base. I agree, the saw is great, wish I got a discount like you.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View joebloe's profile

joebloe

I am glad to read this,as I am seriously thinking about ordering this saw.Have finally got tired of my craftsman that was built in the 60’s and is about woreout.

Rex B

Hi David, to mount the router table I just drilled some holes and thru-bolted it with 1/4-20 bolts. I drilled 3 holes in the end of the cast iron extension and 2 in the angle iron rail at the rear of the saw.

For the front rail, I used a single flat head (countersunk) screw in a hole that was already in the rail. I think this one is 5/16-18. Normal hex bolts would have interfered with the fence. I also made the top of the router table overhang the front rail slightly (about 1/4”) for more support. I found that 3/4 baltic birch was the perfect thickness to use this overhang and still make the top even with the cast wing.

-- Rex

Nice review and good looking router table additiion. enjoy!

View Cato's profile

Cato

Congrats on your new saw. Sounds like it has plenty of power!!

I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it.

That seems to be a pretty popular model right now for Grizzly and quite a few LJ members have bought them.

Nice router wing upgrade that you have added to it.

View rasp's profile

rasp

I am considering ordering this saw. going to sell some stuff on Kijiji and snatch one up, before they’re all gone!

View robdem's profile

robdem

Rex I have the same saw have it now almost a year .Saw works great and have not have any problems with it at all after set up,Saw cuts every thing I throw at it from 3 inch hard maple and walnut , to 2×4 great saw for the price also like the router table built in going to do the same soon

View doncutlip's profile

doncutlip

2832 posts in 2061 days

Nice review, you should be very happy with that machine. I have a bunch of Grizzly stuff too and have never had any problems with anything

-- Don, Royersford, PA

View americanwoodworker's profile

americanwoodworker

I bought that same saw when it first came out. Here are the following problems I have had so far with the saw…extension wing warped when I got it, the adjusting screws on the fence where cross threaded, and the sticker angle gauge came off. I have not had many more problems than that. It really is not to bad of a saw but I do wish I had saved up and bought something better.

-- Your freedom to be you, includes my freedom to be free from you.

View joebloe's profile

joebloe

well I finally done it,I just ordered a G0715p table saw.I might regret not buying the G1023 3hp saw but compaired to the old craftsman I have now ,it is either3/4 hp or 1 hp can’t find a tag on the motor.It should do what I need it to.I do a review later.

View Tomj's profile

Tomj

Have you checked the alignment of the blade to the fence/miter gauge at different heights? Just curious because I’m looking into this saw and this alignment issue with the blade at different heights being off has popped up more than once in reviews on here. I know you said you checked alignment with blade to fence but have you checked this at different heights?

Rex B

Tomj – I know just the problem you’re talking about. It actually worried me for a while, so I did a simple check that didn’t involve a dial indicator or anything that scientific. I clamped a piece of plywood above the blade and slowly raised the blade to full height like I was creating a zero-clearance insert. If the blade alignment had changed by much, it would have started to rub against one side of the kerf and squeal or something like that, but it didn’t. So the alignment can’t have changed by any appreciable amount.

This problem seems to unfortunately be very hit or miss. I also would venture to say that more people get saws that don’t have the problem than do, but those who do are just very vocal about it (understandably). Another encouraging thing is that the people who have had the problem have good experiences with returning it to Grizzly. So I guess if this is really the saw you want, just cross your fingers. It really is an awesome saw.

View Tomj's profile

Tomj

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I know more than often people are going to be more vocal about the problems their having than the problems they are not. I just want to be as sure as I can be and make sure I’m not just wishful thinking. I’m at the point where I narrowed it down to the Craftsmen 22116 (which was on sale for $888.88) I’m sure it will go on sale again. Craftsmen has cabinet mounted trunnions although I believe they are a bit different from beefier cabinet saw cabinet mounted trunnions. Originally I wanted the Ridgid R4512 but that has problems, than steel city 359000c or g, that has a number of problems, Grizzly always seemed like one of the stronger candidates but I wasn’t sure how hard it would be to convert it 110v. After looking at the manual on the Grizzly site I see it’s not the biggest issue. I am glad your happy with your saw and thanks again for your fast reply.

Rex B

I run my saw on 220, but converting to 110 just requires a $6 transformer and the purchase of a new plug. So, like you said, not a big issue.