Veritas Precision Square

Review by vipond33 posted 862 days ago 3378 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Precision Square No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

There are only three things I carry in a working or playing day with wood. A Starrett Tru-Lok 1/2” tape measure with my little one’s reminder ( a really great tape), a bunch of different hardness pencils and Lee Valley’s small square.

The square is a simply marvelous tool to own, I’ve had mine for years and years and could not imagine working without it. Weighing nothing (you will never feel it in your pocket and if you drop it on the floor a hundred times it won’t be damaged), it is quite accurate and much more versatile than a small ruler, tape or regular square.

One thing it does better than a tape is take small inside or outside measurements where the end hook normally gets in the way of reading or is too large for the opening (grooves, mortises). One thing it does better than a graduated square is allowing you to read both dimensions simultaneously, with square to boot. And unlike a pencil, it never needs sharpening (?) Graduated in Imperial, just like it was intended in the beginning, or metric if you must.

What it excels at is reading cutter settings over large openings that would defeat a small rule or tape (see router table and shaper pictures).

I would give this 5 stars but for two things. One is the price gouging that Lee Valley routinely practices. I purchased mine for about $18 when it came out and thought it was highway robbery at the time. Now they are $24.50 for what is a $12 or less tool. I’m sure their pension plans are doing just fine; mine not so much. The other quibble I have is that it would be better if it were satin finish for easier reading. Still, bite the bullet, you’ll never regret it.
On a brighter note, made in usa, by usan’s.
gene

Just how tall is this can of glue? And why won’t it stick to my ribs?

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

View ShopTinker's profile

ShopTinker

Great review, thanks for the info on the square. But more importantly, what did you use to put your little girls picture on your tape measure?

-- Dan - Valparaiso, Indiana, "A smart man changes his mind, a fool never does."

@shoptinker
Thanks, I just peeled off the mfrs label, used a circle template to cut out a photograph and used industrial double faced tape. It’s a bit scratched now, time for a replacement.
gene

Great Review.

Thanks.

View eddie's profile

eddie

that’s a handy little square great review

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View pamelahills's profile

pamelahills

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it.

Best Las Vegas Restaurants

-- [url=http://www.vipnvegas.com/vegas_restaurants.html]Best Las Vegas Restaurants[/url]

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

Thanks Gene.
Huh, what a marvelous little tool. Way overly expensive, but sometimes…
It just begs to ask, why don’t we all have such a thing? It seems so logical.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View maxomatic's profile

maxomatic

Gene, I love your modification to the tape measure. I grew up in Athol MA, where Starrett has their original factory and is still the biggest employer in town. I now live in the next town over. Needless to say, I’m partial to Starrett measuring tools, but I’d have to say you made a major improvement to your tape measure. Starrett tools aren’t any less expensive than veritas, but at least some of that money stays in my home town.

-- I cut it three times and it's STILL too short!

View Roger's profile

gr8 review. why the ribbon around your wrist??

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View shipwright's profile (online now)

shipwright

Thank you Gene. This is one of those tools that I would look at and chuckle Who is going to pay good money for that?
But sometimes when you do acquire such a tool, you find so many uses that it becomes indispensable. You have me convinced based on the router table shots alone that I must have one and I think I have just the right little piece of aluminium plate at home to make it from.
Thanks again Gene!

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thanks for a great rewiew :-)

Roger : so he remember to remember but what he has to remember has everybody forgotten
..... maybee his own birthday…........LOL

Dennis

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

I was like Paul: Who needs that? After you showed what you use it for, I’ve gotta get one! Thanks for posting this.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View eddie's profile

eddie

working in the shop today i came across some times i need that small of a square i ordered one thank for the review. what is the yellow ribbon for just curious then really is not any of my business thanks Gene

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

vipond33

I’m glad I pushed a few of you into reconsidering this fine if overpriced workhorse, it does make careful measurements so much easier. While it doesn’t show up well in the photo’s, the scales are very finely etched and quite easy to resolve with the marvelous interpolation capabilities of our eyes – the best tool (after our hands) that all of us own.
The yellow ribbon with a little bow is an Easter present tied onto my wrist by my special one and worn for the weekend. Like all good things, you forget that it’s there, and then you remember.

View gavinzagreb's profile

gavinzagreb

I’m sure that is a very good quality tool.
Personally I use a small plastic set square for those jobs. You’d be amazed how accurate such a cheap piece of plastic can be.
I also have a tape measure like no other I’ve seen. It’s in a square container and is exactly 6cm wide and has that written on it, so you can easily measure inside things just by adding 6 to the number on the tape.

View doordude's profile

doordude

nice review i’ll have to put this tool on my “to get” list