Mostly does what they claim

Review by Derek Lyons posted 04-09-2012 05:24 PM 1946 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mostly does what they claim No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up one of these over the weekend, and am pretty much pleased with it. The current price ($3.99) is introductory, so grab ‘em while they’re cheap.

Pros:
  • Currently dirt cheap for what they do.
  • They pretty much do what they’re advertised to do.
So-so
  • While waiting for it to dry, it does drip. Easily solved with a bit of scrap or blue tape to catch the drips, but forewarned is forearmed.
  • Cleanup is not quite as easy as advertised. After the glue dried on the brush, it mostly came out easily, but there was a lot of dust and nubbins that had to flicked or rinsed out. The glue formed a film on the paddle, but once I gently picked up a corner with the end of utility knife, it peeled right off.
  • Because of the size and spacing of the bristles, it does not form a thin even film, but forms a pattern like the worlds smallest notched trowel. This almost certainly won’t effect bond strength, but I go back over the glue at an angle to ensure all the surface gets at least some glue.
Cons
  • It’s another tool to keep cleaned and maintained. Cleaning and maintenance isn’t hard or very time consuming, but the straw that broke the camel’s back and all that.

Conclusion: They work tolerably well, but buy two or three while they’re cheap in case you lose one or start a glue up and haven’t cleaned it from the last time.

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

View Howie's profile

Howie

#1 posted 04-09-2012 05:43 PM

I use spatulas from the dollar store. 5 for a buck. They work pretty good and all I do is wipe them off with a papertowel.

-- Life is good.

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

#2 posted 04-09-2012 06:04 PM

Spatulas… Now you’re on to something.

FWIW, I left my rockler wondergluebrushofawesome covered in glue couple weeks back, and found it today. It fully dried and looked trashable. Started pulling at the glue. After a little wiggle the entire dried block came out of the bristles (even at the base of the brush), and they were clean and soft as the day I bought it. Kinda neat, looked like mini-bee honeycomb.

I think it’s easier to clean dry or wet than partially wet. The combo of partially dry chucks and sticky glue sucks. It encourages negligent cleaning intervals. Think of it at the yin to an HLVP gun.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#3 posted 04-09-2012 06:33 PM

I just did a video review on this last night as part of the latest episode of Blue Collar Woodworking! Small world!

I like mine, but the $3.99 price tag had a lot to do with it. If it had been much more I would have passed. I also use rubber spatulas like Howie. They work great. But the benefit of this tool is the brush end. You can dip it in glue and spread it on the wood. I like to do that sometimes.

There is some video of it in action at the six minute mark of the episode (for those who don’t want to watch the whole thing)

Great review- I like your “pros/cons” list… Very helpful!

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 2032 days

#4 posted 04-09-2012 08:01 PM

Had not heard of these Rockler brushes so thanks for the review.

I got some mini glue spatulas from one of the wwking supply stores and they work pretty well for spreading glue, and like a bigger spatula you can just wipe it off or if it dries it just pops off.

I was always irritated with the bristles coming off and into my glue ups using those little acid brushes.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 04-09-2012 09:54 PM

just got one myself…

plastic knives and acid brushes wasn’t cutting it

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View waywardbills's profile

waywardbills

#6 posted 04-16-2012 09:53 PM

This looks remarkably like a BBQ brush I bought on clearance at the end of last summer. I wonder, I will let ya know ;)

-- Bill, West Virginia, http://thefrugalcraftsman.blogspot.com/