Grizzly G0555

Review by Newman posted 740 days ago 7258 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0555 Grizzly G0555 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this saw about 2 weeks ago, since then have used it quite a bit to aid in installing a hardwood floor as well as some other side projects. When researching bandsaws, one thing I noticed was that most of the reviews I’d been reading were 3-4 years old or older. B/c of this I figured I’d add mine here for a more current review.

Perspective: I’m a “home hobbyist” meaning I do this stuff for fun in my spare time. Treat this review as such

To start, I’m going to start with the “why not the other bandsaws in this price range.” I’m not sure you can go wrong with any of the ones listed below, but here is why I decided not to get these. Your reasons/needs may vary from mine, so this is largely opinion. My budget was ~600, the grizzly was $525 + 100 or so for shipping

Porter-Cable 14” bandsaw at Lowes: Not enough information… the porter-cable website has next to no real info on this product, combined with very little online in ways of reviews. Warranted or not, a manufacturers website with little info on a tool they sell always sets off warning bells for me, I don’t like seeing that. It also doesn’t come with a fence or miter, So while it started off cheaper, I figured by the time I got it setup with what I wanted I’d be well above the ~600 I was looking to spend. The one review I saw for it seemed very favorable. I came very close to buying this one… I just wish there was more known about it.

Ridgid 14” bandsaw: A number of bad reviews, a number of good reviews that listed a set of modifications that make the ridgid into a good saw. I didn’t really want to spend a ton of time modifying the saw, and around here it costs nearly as much as the port-cable.

Jet 14” : I liked these, both the closed and open based versions, They were just on the high end of my budget, the cheaper version being ~650 around here. Again, no fence/miter, They come with blocks, I liked that the grizzly came with ball bearing guides… not really sure if that is a big deal or not, everyone has their own opinions.

Craftsman 14” : discontinued?
Rikon 14” : Great saw with great reviews. I wished I could have found one locally, I’d probably have ended up with one of these

shopfox 14” : If you look at this saws specs, its pretty much a G0555X with a smaller table and 1hp motor, which is exactly what I wanted. I called every shopfox dealer in New England and nobody had this saw available, Amazon.com has it available, but short on stock so I was a bit worried it may be getting discontinued. There is also a good review from wood magazine that does a comparo of the shopfox and grizzly saws that you can download for about 5 bucks that is worth it if your shopping for a saw. the shopfox came out the most powerful/fastest cutting, but the grizzly was more accurate… I decided to go with accurate.

Other brands like powermatic were out of my price range. and a good old delta/rockwell that wasn’t heavily abused never popped up for sale locally to me…. I did look.

So… I chose the G0555, why not the G0555P? From my reading, it appears the only difference is the white color, and that the P is made in a factory that doesn’t meet all the certifications that the factory that makes the G0555. At least that is the way I read it. I figured if I’m spending 600, spend the extra 30 to get the one thats quality control MAY be a bit better. It may not… but I figured it was worth it.

Shipping: My first bandsaw arrived and I was able to see it without even taking it out of the box. Literally, destroyed in shipping, never made it off the truck, we sent it back and called grizzly. they had a new saw to my house in 4 days. The second arrived undamaged.

Assembly:

the base is 24 nut/bolts/washers, and another 4 to mount the saw on the base. I had it together and mounted in probably a half hour. It took longer to assemble the HTC2000 mobile base I bought to move the saw around on.

Setup went really fast as well. Blade tracked correctly right out of the box. tensioning was correct as well…. and the bearing guides and thumb screws to adjust them are all easy to manipulate. I was probably making dust within a half an hour with the stock blade

stock blade: I know this is like a 4 letter word… but honestly I don’t think its that bad. Its not great… but it cuts straight and the edges it leaves are clean. I have some good blades on order but overall I don’t hate this blade.

Like I said, with the fence on cutting 3/4” oak this saw cuts straight, dead straight…cuts I should be making on my table saw I didn’t bother stopping to switch tools b/c they were coming out so straight on the bandsaw that it wasn’t worth it to stop and go to the table saw.

Its quiet, vibration free, and so far is doing what its supposed to…. I’m extremely pleased with this saw.

nit picks: If I had to change something, these are what I’d change

- I don’t like that the fence floats on the rear fence guide and doesn’t clamp down.
- I don’t like that the front fence guide feels “flexible”. Meaning that when i lock the fence in place I feel like I’m going to bend the front fence guide.
( yes after eliminating other saws b/c they didn’t come with a fence, I will probably be buying an aftermarket fence for this saw… I see the irony here. )

- the quick tensioner system is great, except you can’t tell from the front of the saw if the blade is tensioned or not. I’ve already goofed this up a couple times starting the saw with the blade not tensioned. not a big deal, but annoying.

- the trunion mount is really in the way for the lower ball bearing guides adjustment. Its doable, but just a pain in the butt to try and gauge how close the bearings are too the blade, This isn’t something you touch everyday, so overall its not a big deal,

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

yeah not being able to see the tensioner from the front is a drag. I put a piece of blue tape over the top of the on/off switch whenever I de-tension it. It’s a PITA but it keeps me from turning it on un-tensioned.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View ParksArt's profile

ParksArt

Great review. I have an older Grizzly G1019 14 inch and I really like it. I wish I had the quick tension release. As far as the fence.. on mine, it doesn’t even have a rear fence guide. So that “flex” you sense is even worse on mine since it’s only riding on the front fence guide rail. Still, it came with a fence!

Another difference in mine is that the motor is mounted below inside the stand. I suppose they changed this so the saw isn’t forced to on the stand?

Brian

Newman

The motor is mounted to the saw itself similar to many of the other BS I mentioned above. See picture #3 on Grizzlys website.

Newman

Another Comment I should have added: Grizzly customer service.

When I called to tell them the 1st saw was destroyed in shipping, they were phenomenal.
I got a call every single day up to when the new saw was delivered, giving me status on the issue and they shipped a new saw before receiving the damaged saw back. They seemed very attentive and interested in making sure I was a happy customer. Can’t ask for much more than that.

View ParksArt's profile

ParksArt

Wow, really awesome on the attentiveness of service. I’ve always heard great things about Grizzly on that.

I was referring to my own Grizzly having the motor mounted below in the stand. I’m not sure what if any difference it makes, but I don’t think they make them like that anymore. The only thing I don’t like about it is the power switch is down on the stand instead of in a easily accessed spot like on yours.

View Howie's profile

Howie

I too have a GO555X and have to say I’m well pleased with it. I’ve had it about 4 years and no problems.
If you liked the original equipment blade, try putting a Timberwolf in it and you will really love it.

-- Life is good.

Newman

@parksart: Ridgid has the motor attached to the stand, albeit to the side and not internal. I think that is one of the last in this range that doesn’t have its motor mounted directly to the saw.

The power switch is nice, with the big buttons that are readily visible, I am probably going to change it out though for a stop button that you can “slap” off, The current button is big, but you have to be precise about pressing it in to turn the machine off.

View chuck24's profile

chuck24

Great review. I have been researching as well for probably four years. A friend of mine has the Rikon you were talking about and it is really a great machine. I was saving up to buy that one. But then my wife was playing pool last week and struck up a conversation with a guy who just happened to have this saw with the 6” riser and extra new blades in storage for sale. He only wanted 200.00!!! so I asked here to tell him we would take it sight un seen. She agreed that it was a great deal which worked in my favor. So now I can take the extra 700.00 saved and…. buy some more toys!

Went yesterday and picked it up, got it home, cleaned it up a bit. Readjusted the wheels and added a missing screw in the lower guides and got it tracking perfectly in about five minutes. Cuts straight as an arrow.

The only CON I have incounted is….. now I have to rearange the shop to fit it in to its new home. That is a project for this week or weekend.

View revanson11's profile

revanson11

I picked up a GO555P about a month ago when it was $50.00 off. It showed up with two forklift holes in the box which led to some anxiety until the truck driver and I got it opened up and confirmed that there was no damage done. Took about an hour to get it together with the help of my neighbor to get the saw on the base. I got the blade that came with the saw tensioned and started doing some cutting on some 3/4” oak boards. The next day I ordered a Wood Slicer blade and OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE! All the hype that those blades get on the forum is totally deserved. I was soon cutting 1/16th inch veneer off of a 6” piece of red oak. All I can say is WOW. Cuts like a hot knife through butter. Love the saw and the new blade. Thanks fellow LJers.

-- Randy, Central MN

Newman

@chuck24: I think you made a killer score.

@revanson: Glad yours was ok even with the box damage. I’ll have some better blades shortly as well.

The delivery driver gave me some really good advice on getting freight shipments. He said it doesn’t take much to severely damage a several hundred pound machine. If the box is damaged, its probably taken a hard hit or two and even if it looks ok, the product could be damaged. You wouldn’t know it until you tried to use it. That being said, if your refuse shipment, they’ll send you a new one, and the shipping company and the manufacturer sort out the insurance issues. if you accept shipment, your forced to deal with customer service to work out the issues which could be a long/frustrating experience, even with excellent customer service… it would depend on you debugging and fixing your machine. With such good turnaround, it seems prudent to wait the 4 days if you can and get an undamaged box.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

After a very generous check that I received for Christmas, I bought myself a G0555X. While I haven’t taken the time to write a review yet, suffice it to say that I love the saw and it’s drastically changed the way I work in my shop.

I’ll echo the other comments to try it with an upgraded blade. I made one test cut with the stock blade, then installed my riser block and Timberwolf blade, and the difference was shocking. I had been regretting my purchase after trying the stock blade, but definitely not after using the T’Wolf!

View rfa6's profile

rfa6

Thanks for taking the time to document your research and experience. I am planning to purchase my first band saw in the next 30 days and this helps a lot.

109347 posts in 2079 days

This is one of the best reviews I’ve read,lots of great details that any prospective buyer would want to know. Great review. I hope your new saw continues to give you good service.

View MontanaBob's profile

MontanaBob

I’ve had to replace the guide bearings on mine…one would not turn at all, so rather than wait for the others to go bad did a full replacement. They were available at a bearing supple store.. I’ve ordered the T’Wolf blades today…It cuts well with the grizzly blades that I have, but not as good as I would like…great review…

-- To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

I have had this saw for about four years now. I bought it only for re-sawing so I bought the re-saw fence and riser and installed it right away. I re-saw a lot of 8” cedar. I installed the riser and assembled the stand and saw without any help. The way I did this was to assemble the entire machine with it laying on the floor and then just stood it up. A bit of a grunt for my 66 year old bones but it worked out fine. Trying to lift this saw onto the stand would have been impossible to do alone. I have replaced the tension adjustment knob with a 5” wheel from Grizzly. This gives a lot more leverage to adjust the blade tension easily. I have found that I can get replacement bearings very cheaply at my local bearing supplier. Better bearings than original also. I find it MUCH easier to replace and adjust the bottom bearings with the table removed. It comes off easily with no tools required. I only re-saw with this tool so I use 1/2” Woodslicer blades only. Great blades , great saw. The woodslicer blades dull after a while so I suggest buying a few at a time. I buy five. I do not move this tool around so I did not get the mobile stand. I recommend this saw, and woodslicer blades.

-- In God We Trust