Volt Man Batteries....

Review by Mainiac Matt posted 04-09-2012 01:54 AM 4759 views 9 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Volt Man Batteries.... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted to share with the LJ crew a neat little outfit I came accross a couple of years back that re-habs cordless tool battery packs.

You send them your battery pack, and they swap out the cells, spot welding the connections just like the OEM does. They can even replace the smart chips that feed the charger temperature info. etc…

I used them to replace the battery packs on my favorite Porter Cable 12 volt drill/driver and they were as good as new when I got them back. Two years later and they’re still going strong.

The service isn’t exaclty cheap, but it is significantly less than purchasing new battrery packs… which may have been on a warehouse shelf for years!

Here’s their link

View wee3's profile

wee3

#1 posted 04-09-2012 02:09 AM

Thats good to know,good info

-- BiLL @wee3

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#2 posted 04-09-2012 02:24 AM

Keeping this for future use.

Thanks a bunch.

-- All glory comes from daring to begin. ~ Eugene F. Ware

View woodman88's profile

woodman88

#3 posted 04-09-2012 01:21 PM

Yes I use them alot. I think the batteries hold a charge better than when they were new.Cheaper than buying new

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1578 posts in 1949 days

#4 posted 04-09-2012 04:25 PM

Am I missing something? My cordless set is a 19.2 volt Craftsman. Voltman wants $55 to rebuild a 19.2 volt battery, and new ones from Sears, Amazon, etc., are all about $35. Mine are all going bad, so I do need to do something.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

#5 posted 04-09-2012 04:36 PM

just make sure you compare apples to apples…

Ni-Cad, Ni-MH or Lithium Ion…

or your exact model number.

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#6 posted 04-09-2012 04:43 PM

Sears sells replacement really cheap. They also sell drills cheap.

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1578 posts in 1949 days

#7 posted 04-09-2012 04:53 PM

All I’m seeing is a choice of standard rebuild or high capacity, with a choice of voltages in each. The $55 is for a standard rebuild in the 19.2 to 22.8 volt range. They say they don’t rebuild lithium, so it has to be either Nicad or Ni-MH, and they appear to be listed together where the prices are shown.

It seems the customer pays to ship the bad batteries to them; does the price include return shipping?

#8 posted 04-09-2012 05:08 PM

does the price include return shipping?

I believe the answer is yes…

I know it was for me 2 years ago

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#9 posted 04-10-2012 08:53 PM

I had them rebuild some Ryobi batteries and the rebuilds have lasted 4 years so far. the OEM off the shelf batteries last about 18 months and they need replacing … IMHO it’s worth the extra couple of bucks for better than OEM.

Grumpy Mike retiring in 9 days to build my new shop :)

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Idonno's profile

Idonno

#10 posted 04-12-2012 06:29 PM

I rebuild my own battery packs with batteries and other supplies I buy from Voltman. I’m very pleased with this company.
It’s been a little over 1yr now and all my rebuilds are doing great. You won’t save as much much on Dewalts 18v packs since Dewalt sells 2-packs for a reduced price but, the savings on 12v packs as well as some others is way up there.

My cost in 2011: 12v = $18.80/OEM’s = $65, 18v = $28.20/OEM’s = $89 (2-pack OEM = $120) Great Savings!

The prices for supplies have increased a little in the past year, but it’s still a great savings.

#11 posted 04-12-2012 06:59 PM

Did you solder the conections?

I thought about doing my own, as I had soldered up battery packs years ago on RC cars…

In the end, I decided to just let them do it.

View Idonno's profile

Idonno

#12 posted 04-13-2012 02:31 AM

Yea I did “ssnvet” . On my Dewalts the top battery that’s in the part of the packs neck that goes into the tool is a little bit of a challenge because you have to solder to the battery itself on the side and top.

You need a fairly powerful soldering gun so you can heat it up fast so you don’t end up heating up the battery to much. The iron I use is 400w but a little more wouldn’t hurt. First I rough up the spots on the battery to be soldered, melt some solder on it, then on the piece that is going to be attached as well. After that I hold them together and finish the job.

The rest of the batteries are pretty easy because I buy the ones with the tabs so I’m only soldering thin tab to thin tab.
The first side is the easiest because you just trim the tabs a little with scissors, line them up, then solder. The next side is a little harder because the tabs don’t line up without folding them to the direction you need to go but, it’s still not bad.

You do have to be careful to keep the solder buildup to a minimum or else the pack wont close all the way. It’s a really tight fit without any room for extra solder.

It’s not the easiest thing to do but, it’s completely doable and considering the amount of money I saved I think it’s worth it.

I had 8-18v, 6-12v and 4-7.2v that needed rebuilding and I was actually thinking of building a DIY CD battery tab welder (Capacitive Discharge spot welder) It can be done for about $100-$200. If you goggle it there’s a whole bunch of people who’ve done just that.

Now that I’ve already soldered them, I hope not to have to think about it again for a while but, when the time comes I might. A CD welder is definitely the way to go.

View KenBry's profile

KenBry

#13 posted 04-13-2012 02:44 AM

+1 for them. I got better cells when i sent mine in well worth it. Mine are dewalt 18v

-- Ken, USAF MSgt, Ret.