Fantastic Machine

Review by reggle posted 745 days ago 2588 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fantastic Machine Fantastic Machine Fantastic Machine Click the pictures to enlarge them

After looking around for a while i decided to opt for the AWVSL lathe.This is a graet lathe i have no problems with it yet.you get 440mm (17”) between centres or with the optional bed extension 965mm (38”).the Max Diameter over Bed is 240mm (9.45”).the only problem i have is the speed only gets as low as 650rpm bit to fast when turning big logs.apart from that its a great bit kit

Key features

Constructed from cast iron
Powerful 375W(1/2hp) DC permanent magnet motor
Electronic speed control
Speed range from 650rpm to 3,800rpm
Digital screen shows spindle speed

Spindle Taper: 2MT
Spindle Thread: 1” x 8TPI (Ref T04M)
Weight: 38kg

-- reggle/england/Nothing like a good piece of hickory

View reggle's profile

reggle

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Forget a lathe, I’m admiring that “The Beast” logo! :)

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Thanks for the review! I can never get enough!

-Jim, aka “Stumpy Nubs”
Latest episode of Blue Collar Woodworking is now online!

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

It’s interesting to see how many brands utilize that exact same casting – your Axminster, JET, Harbor Freight, I believe Grizzly and Penn State as well. I like the digital readout feature on yours, too. I know the Harbor Freight is only a number one morse taper – it would be interesting to see a little shootout of all these brands.

View JPoitras's profile

JPoitras

Thanks for the review! Love the “The beast” logo also… my boyfriend wants to write it down too now!
I was wondering in what store you bought that? I live in Quebec and I’m having a hard time finding a good lathe.. thanks!

View reggle's profile

reggle

i brought from a shop called axminister

-- reggle/england/Nothing like a good piece of hickory

View dpoisson's profile

dpoisson

reggle, are you in england or did you rewire it to run off north american voltage/amps?

JPoitras, I’m from quebec as well (Quebec City actually), read my review of the haussman xpert lathe (stay clear!).

-- http://picasaweb.google.ca/dpoisson