Tool Band-It By Billy Mays!

Review by Dallas posted 04-04-2012 02:33 PM 2747 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tool Band-It By Billy Mays! Tool Band-It By Billy Mays! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

OK, Don’t laugh.

My wife was browsing through a small Korean Dollar store in College Station whilst I was doing some serious research at Harbor Freight.
In a big tub of discounted stuff that she found was a whole pile of “Tool Bandit’s” magnetic arm bands.

She bought one on a whim, for 50¢ and put it in the trunk with the rest of her loot.
When we got home she gave it to me I was somewhat surprised and the first thing I noticed was the weight of the thing. Probably close to a pound of magnets, nylon, velcro and plastic.
The second thing I noticed was the packaging. In trying to remove the arm band from the package I had to get out a razor knife, kitchen shears and about six other forms of mayhem to cut the plastic. I believe that they wanted to make sure that no one would ever be able to open the package and would give up in frustration and exhaustion!

After removing this thing from it’s armored cage, I read the instructions and tried it on.
In order to get the straps tight enough I had to pull them tight enough to make my lower arm turn blue and get cold.

I then proceeded to put tools on the thing to see how much it would hold. In all honesty, it does hold small tools well it’s just that you can’t get them off without two hands.

All in all I wasn’t overly impressed with with the quality, usefulness or utility of this thing. and give it 2 stars.

Con’s: Cheaply made, stiff, not very usable.

Pro’s: It’s black.
One place it really shines is that it has 15 quarter sized rare earth magnets in it. It was worth the 50¢ just to get those.

Some extra information:
On the commercial they show it picking up a ‘25 pound’ weight and tool box. Moo-Poopy! I tried for ten minutes to get it to pick up a small metal tool box and all it would do is grab the edge and slide. Total weight of the box was an estimated 10 pounds or less.

{Then on the back of the package I read: 25 lb. weight and tool box shown in commercial are for demonstration purposes only Do NOT try this at home.}

Under that in red letters is says, “Keep away from Children. If you have a pacemaker or other implanted device, please consult your physician before using.

Good Luck, this was a fun review and if you want a tool holder, get a 5 gallon bucket, but if you need a cheap source of rare earth magnets….. go for it!
If we go to town next week end I’m going to have the wife pick up five or ten more of these things!

View Doss's profile

Doss

#1 posted 04-04-2012 02:42 PM

Yeah, I was going to say that just getting the magnets was probably worth the 50 cents. Worst case, cut it open and embed the magnets in something else.

-- "Well, at least we can still use it as firewood... maybe." - Doss

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#2 posted 04-04-2012 04:04 PM

I have bought things on sale just to get the parts inside as well. Great review.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#3 posted 04-04-2012 10:02 PM

One of my favorites is a package of spatulas at the dollar store. Use them as glue spreaders.

-- Life is good.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#4 posted 04-04-2012 11:06 PM

I have seen these several times. Now I know not to buy one!

Thanks for posting!
-Jim, aka “Stumpy Nubs”
Latest episode of Blue Collar Woodworking is now online!

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

#5 posted 04-04-2012 11:34 PM

you could tack it to the walla and hang random items on it … best review of the day dallas!

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View Howie's profile

Howie

#6 posted 04-04-2012 11:56 PM

But wait there’s more!!!!

Good post Dallas.

-- Life is good.

View tsangell's profile

tsangell

#7 posted 04-05-2012 02:29 PM

I’d like to see a demo video where you sleeve-up with ten of these and stick yourself to the side of a car. That would be worth the $.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#8 posted 04-05-2012 06:30 PM

Billy Mays, RIP 1958-2009.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#9 posted 04-06-2012 03:11 PM

Yea, in 2009 billy had a pacemaker and then made the commercial. Bad results!

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#10 posted 04-06-2012 07:10 PM

Hey Dallas. Thanks for the review. I bought one of these some time ago (maybe 2 years ago), through Amazon I think. Just the other day I opened the package for the first time so I know what you mean about the packaging. I think there is a better use for this “tool” than just ripping it open for parts. While it may not be appropriate for tools, it is fine for fasteners. I was installing a screen door on my shop door. I had lots of screws and thought to try this out for holding them. It worked like a charm. I used the velcro straps to attach it over my shirt onto the bicep area. It snugged up just fine and stayed there. The screws were handy and quickly grabbed to install. Normally I place the screws on a table, counter, chair…whatever is nearby or I put on my tool belt and place them in a pocket. With this arm band-it, they were all right there to just grab as needed. I will be installing several sections of stockade fencing soon. I use lag screws to attach the fencing to metal posts via brackets. I plan to load this up with the screws and give it a try.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Odiferous's profile

Odiferous

#11 posted 10-02-2012 02:38 AM

I couldn’t resist grabbing one of these at the dollar store myself—and it’s been hanging on the shop wall ever since because I haven’t dreamed up a scenario where it would be of any use.

Five stars, however, for the bargain-hunters’ mecca where you bought it—a Harbor Freight right next door to a King Dollar. I don’t think I’ll ever be cleaning up dovetails with three-for-a-dollar bench chisels, but they’ll be good sharpening practice (and they sure can open a paint can!).

#12 posted 10-02-2012 06:21 PM

Odiferous,
Although PK doesn’t like my input, others seem to and I also think he has a lot to say of relevance, too bad he can’t handle any criticism.

If you are that close to King Dollar and HF in College Station you should take a spin up to Franklin sometime!

I used one magnet each to hold the arbor wrenches for my table saw and a couple more to hold the wrenches for my 2HP router.

If you happen to get up this way, stop in and we’ll have a cold beer or a hot cup of coffee or even a cook out!

View jim C's profile

jim C

#13 posted 10-02-2012 10:33 PM

Dallas,
Where did he reference to PK come from?
What’s the problem?
All he did was state the R.I.P. 1958-2009

Enlighten us

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#14 posted 10-03-2012 11:42 AM

Not to worry, Jim!
Just to make things clear:
It’s not criticism, it’s small-minded comments that annoy me.

#15 posted 10-03-2012 05:44 PM

Not to worry Jim, the aforementioned statement seems to only include those that disagree with the #14 poster.
I offered proof of a particular item being the equal of a higher priced item and now I find myself blocked.

Hmmmm, I wonder about the small minded statement….. It tweren’t I that did the blocking.