Just love Rob's DVDs

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 2353 days ago 2153 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Just love Rob's DVDs No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I watch a lot woodworking DVDs and Rob Cosman’s are some of my favorites. If you are just starting out with your dovetail education, I recommend that you start with this DVD first. Rob doesn’t show how to cut dovetails in this DVD, it’s all about the dovetail saw. This DVD if very unique in that regard. There aren’t any other DVDs out there, that I have found, that are dedicated to a topic like the dovetail saw.

Rob covers just about everything you need to know about the dovetail saw and how to use it. He starts out by comparing a “cheap” saw and a “high-end” saw, and why you want to spend the money on a nicer saw. He covers sharpening the saw and discuses the set on a saw. He doesn’t go into setting the teeth on the saw. Setting the teeth might be beyond most people’s abilities or interest.

He then talks about the proper grip. Rob talks about having a pretty light grip. I always felt you needed a somewhat firm grip on your saws. To quote Oprah, it was an “aha moment” when I figured out the light grip. Yes, I watch a lot TV with my wife ?. That one tip has found its way into all my hand tools. I can’t believe how much control I have developed with all of my hand tools, by just taking a lighter grip.

He shows you his 5-Ps of sawing. I’ll let you watch the DVD to find out what the 5-Ps are. He gives an exercise you can do to practice your sawing and the 5-Ps. I have practiced all of Rob’s techniques and they have improved my hand sawing and dovetail joints. I’ll be posting a blog shortly that shows how I cut my dovetails. I’m impressed with what I have accomplished and I have only cut about 10 sets of dovetails.

I’ll be posting reviews of Rob’s other DVDs soon, but this Hand-cut Dovetails and Advance Hand-cut Dovetails are excellent DVDs on cutting dovetails.

You can buy Rob’s DVDs from his web site www.robcosman.com or from www.lie-nielsen.com.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

a nice review! Thanks :)

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View edski's profile

edski

To avoid any confusion about this post, Rob Cosman has produced three DVDs on dovetailing: Hand-cut Dovetails, Advanced Hand-cut Dovetails, and Mastering the Dovetail Saw. I believe this review is of the Mastering the Dovetail Saw DVD. The other two DVDs show how to cut dovetails and I must say all three are excellent.

-- edski

Edski,

Thanks for pointing out that I had the wrong the title. I was working on several reviews for Rob’s DVDs and cut the wrong title in for this one. I have fixed it.

View Ryan Shervill's profile

Ryan Shervill

I was talking to Rob the other day…and he loves that people love them :) Definitely some quality DVD’s.

He has a new book out…pretty much a “shop manual” to accompany the DVD’s. He did the book so the info could travel out to the shop to reference when needed.

Cheers

Ryan

-- Want to see me completely transform a house? Look here: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?41055

Mike Lingenfelter

Yes, the book has already been order :). Rob is a really nice guy. I met him at our local Woodcraft store and attended a couple of his classes/lectures. I hope I take one of his week long classes some day.

View Olaf Gradin's profile

Olaf Gradin

I attended Rob’s class when he came to Atlanta area recently. I really enjoyed the class and Rob’s general approach to woodworking. He’s a pro at justifying the higher cost of quality hand tools. The classes are good, but he was right in pointing out that you need to get the DVD’s too. It’s hard to remember every little detail that comes out. What you don’t get, of course, off the DVD is the tactile feel you need sometimes.

-- It takes a viking to raze a village. &mdash Blog'r: http://www.gradin.com

View GMoney's profile

GMoney

Hey Mike, I looking forward to seeing your blog about dovetails. Rob Cosman has some great dvd’s and i own the dovetail ones too. I like them and have watched them many times. One thing that I would point out to people wanting to learn to hand cut dovetails is this: Learn from as many sources as you can and or just jump in and start cutting. It requires a certain feel to know what is comfortable and works for you. RC can be somewhat dogmatic about what works for him. His ways may work very well for you too or you may vary some part of the process for yourself. The only way to know is to jump in and try some. Tage Frid cut them with a bow saw. Some people, myself included often combine machined methods with hand work. I’ve used the Lie Neilsen saw, a tablesaw, scroll saw, router, and chisels in various combinations. It’s not a popular method, but in truth I get great results with the scroll saw on small pieces such as boxes. I think many people are looking to get good results in some other way than using a router jig, although there is nothing wrong with that either (I own and use 2 of them).

Anyway, I’m getting long winded here. Looking forward to seeing your method Mike. Have a great woodworking day!

-- Greg, CT

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Good review Mike – I have one of his DVDs – The Wood Hinge Box – and have really enjoyed viewing it. I haven’t tried the box yet, but I getting to it. He is a pretty sharp guy and does a great presentation. Looks awfully young to be so knowledgeable.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View TedM's profile

TedM

2002 posts in 2367 days

I watched the ‘The Wood Hinge Box’ just this past week and I must say that it is one of the best instructional videos I have seen. Looking forward to seeing the others. Thanks for the review!

-- I'm a wood magician... I can turn fine lumber into firewood before your very eyes! - Please visit http://www.woodworkersguide.com and sign up for my project updates!

Mike Lingenfelter

I also have his Wood Hinge Box DVD and really like it. Although my all time favorite is his Drawer Making DVD. There will be reviews of most of his DVDs coming soon.

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

Mike’s been kind enough to loan me these DVDs to watch! (Does this mean you need the others back before you review them?!)...

Rob has a great teaching style and obvious command of the content. I think Chris Schwarz called him one of the dovetail savants…

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

Mike Lingenfelter

I have plenty to here to review. If I run out, I’ll just have you snap a picture of the DVDs for me :).

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

Sounds good!

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

View FloridaUFGator's profile

FloridaUFGator

I own almost everyone of Rob’s DVDs. I rarely buy DVDs but took a chance with these based on previous comments. They are by far the best I’ve come across. I don’t believe you could go wrong with any of them. The Dovetail set and the piston fit drawers are my favorite. I enjoyed the wooden hinged box and would love to take a stab at it but there is a significant investment in setting up the jigs to make them.

-- ...and remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses - Norm Abram

Mike Lingenfelter

I have all of Rob’s DVDs except the new carving ones, and like all of them I’ve been trying to find time to write reviews for all of them, but life is been busy lately. My favorite is the Drawer Making DVD. I heard he is make a couple new DVDs that should be out soon.