Planer..the only one I will ever own

Review by GrandsonOfRue posted 849 days ago 6787 views 2 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Planer..the only one I will ever own Planer..the only one I will ever own No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This planer is awesome. It is pricey, but I personally feel you get good value for it.

I have seen it for $599 – $699. I paid $599. So shop around.

This sucker is a beast. I mean heavy. For my shop it sits on a rolling cart that is much larger than the planer. I saw recently a guy who built a portable stand for his and it was no much wider than the planer itself. I cringed at the thought of it catching on a wood chip and falling over. I assure you once it starts falling there is no catching it. I would definitely suggest the base of the cart or stand be wider than the top for stability. It is just too expensive to risk.

On the note of weight, it has two handles on the top that actually make it portable not factoring the weight. Handles are solid and placed well to make the most of their benefit.

This planer does a great job at both speeds. Be sure that you read the manual for changing speed. You do it while it is running. Even at the faster speed it planes very smooth. Also, you need to ensure the sector switch is either set far right or far left. I damn near dismantled this thing to the last bolt because it would not feed. Only to realize the selector switch had been bumped just slightly out of the 1 position. I was both relieved it was nothing and damn near went insane trying to figure out the issue.

Be sure your wiring is adequate as this thing pulls a lot of power. You can easily overload your circuit.

Other strong traits….

Exhaust blower – This is great. I have a 2hp dust collector. Between the two I never have chips on the floor. Planer chips can be the most difficult to collect and with the blower there is never an issue.

Preset thickness gauge – This works well and is fairly accurate. As does the manual thickness gauge. I will say this though. The marker and ruler you use for the manual setting are not exact. When you consider you may be taking a 1/32 or 1/16 the lines on the ruler and the point on the selector could be off by that much.

Now for the biggy…Snipe.

Now the review I link to is really great. Lots of information. The reviewer indicates he had one instance of snipe and takes the blame for it happening. I have never experienced snipe. But as the reviewer indicates it is possible. But my experience has been is is very rare if you are careful.

The key is that the planer has a powered in feed and out feed roller. This handles long stock both going in and going out. I have planed a lot of long board through mine but never had snipe. I also do not believe there is a need for these (especially for about $69.99 a set):

For more information This website give a decent amount of information.

Overall this tool has been fabulous and while more expensive you go get what you pay for. Well worth the money.

View GrandsonOfRue's profile

GrandsonOfRue

View C_PLUS_Woodworker's profile

C_PLUS_Woodworker

Great review…........... probably because I agree 100% with everything you said.

-- We must all walk our own green mile

View Sawkerf's profile

Sawkerf

I’ve had mine for a couple of years and would amend a couple of your comments.

1. The preset thickness setting can be “tweaked” to be exact. I dialed mine in to exactly 3/4” using a caliper and some patience.

2. The thickness adjustment can also be adjusted to whatever you want. When I had the preset adjustment dialed in, I adjusted the scale to exactly 3/4”

3. While those extension tables probably aren’t necessary, some kid of extension will elimnate the snipe. My only beef with mine is that I have to adjust the extension table height more often that I would like. I set mine ~1/16” high at the ends, but that will slip sooner or later.

-- Adversity doesn't build character...................it reveals it.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1916 days

It is a good planer. I added a Wixey to mine and it really is useful for getting exact thicknesses and repeating them easily if you end up needing an extra piece planed to match your project.

I do have the rolling stand and the planer extension tables, and the extension tables are adjustable to minimize snipe.

You probably do get a little bit of snipe, but you have to turn the board a bit this way and that to see it.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

interesting review..I have one & find it noisy & screamy, and the knives were soft & needed replacement very quickly. Funny thing is I had an old Ryobi 10” for 20 years and it has tough knives & runs a lot more quietly. I prefer the old, tried and true ryobi when wood will fit the 10 ” limit!

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View MikeGo's profile

MikeGo

I have had this planer for 2 year`s now and love it. never let`s me down.

-- Mike, Marietta,ny

View MJCD's profile

MJCD

I’ve had mine for several years, and have run literally thousands of sq’ through it. At 92 lbs, I have it on a rolling cart, lift it onto my table saw when I’m thicknessing wood (it provides a better working height for me). I get substantial snipe. I’m seriously considering changing-out the stock cutter head to a Byrd Segmented cutter (Fine Woodworking has a post on this). I find the blades to be razor sharp, and dull easily; though, I run mostly Cherry and Hard Maple.
For me, the only better alternative is a stationary Jointer/Planer combo – much more expensive and consumes more shop space; but this would industrialize the process. Having said this, I doubt that I’ll ever justify the expense.
For dust collection, I flex-hose the chip output into a 4” diameter spur on my main system – I don’t believe a shop vac system could handle the debris, though, I’ve never tried this approach.
MJCD

-- Lead By Example; Make a Difference

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

Picked up a used one.. only put a few boards through it so far, but.. Snipe seems like a factor of letting a 4+ foot long board hang all the way out the other side before you even try to guide it out. All the others that I actually touched seemed great. No outfeed tables on mine. I did have it jam, stall, and burn once, but the I haven’t changed/flipped the knives (used. Prob fine for rough planing 2x’s) or really tried to clean the rollers. Sounded like the world was ending.

I hooked it to a festool vac with a shopvac hose (the 2 or 2.5” standard thing) and I didn’t see any dust, maybe one chip? Totally clean inside as well. The power blower works great.

Only thing that bugs me is the metal table seems to have delaminated from the base in spots, and isn’t flat. I bought this off a gen contractor who had it in storage for a while. Looks like it’s a metal/pastic/aluminum base, so not sure how this would really happen. Prob make a melamine covering for it with some outfeed tables- I don’t plane much 5” thick stock.

Also, even at 92lbs, it was trying to creep itself off the workbench. Serious beast. Feels like dewalt succeeded in micro-fing a old school 4post planer.

112001 posts in 2181 days

Thanks for the review well done.

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

I use a Ridgid shop-vac for dust collection and it works fine. I built a cabinet on wheels that’s not too much larger than its footprint. I have no problems with it walking. It is real loud, but then so is my tablesaw and jointer. I just bought the Shelix helical head but haven’t installed it. The noice level will go down significantly. I agree about constantly adjusting the extension tables. Overall I like it but with the regular blades it’s not much better than my old two blade Ridgid model.

View bullhead1's profile

bullhead1

For those of you that are considering this planer, the 735X which includes the infeed/outfeed tables and an extra set of blades has a $50 rebate through 4/30/2012. Iv’e had mine a month and really like it so far. I was a little concerned about the blade issues from other posts I’ve read, but bought mine at a woodworking show and talked to the dewalt rep who said they had made some changes. The extra set of blades sure helped make my decsion. I hope he wasn’t blowing smoke where the sun don’t shine. I do think the infeed/outfeed tables are worth it unless you plan to build longer tables. I worked in a cabinet shop for ten years after I retired and can tell you this planer is not any louder than the $3,000 planer we had there. Doesn’t matter, always where ear muff’s as my daughters call them!

View WDB's profile

WDB

What’s the size of the dust port?

View 47phord's profile

47phord

I am considering buying this planer, but I have read many reviews elsewhere that state the blades wear out faster than you can replace them. Can any of the folks here who own this machine comment?

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

I have a friend who had one of these only problem he had was it was very noisy? I don’t know ,but over here we use mostly jointers and planers in one caBINET.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2368 posts in 2042 days

I have a 734. It comes with infeed/outfeed tables. I’ve never had to adjust them and I’ve never had snipe. I’ve planed wood as small as 6” and as long as 8ft. My blades (reversable btw) last realistically about 2500 bd ft. I change them about every two years. I think they are the same blades. My wood is mostly oak and maple.

View Viking's profile

Viking

I have had mine for a little over 2 1/2 years and still on the first side of the original blades. I have planed a lot of hardwood, mostly oak. I always take small cuts.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas