initial impression very good

Review by John posted 843 days ago 2653 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
initial impression very good initial impression very good initial impression very good Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am making the transition to more handwork and want to master (or come close to it) hand cut dovetails. Since I recently fell in love with my Japanese Ryoba that’s been collecting dust for years (here’s a great review on it http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/129 ), I unilaterally decided to turn Japanese … I mean pull it … the saw that is… errr, nevermind.

Lee Valley has this saw for a lower price than replacement blades on their other saws, I thought it looked like a good place to start – website here: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32936&cat=1,42884

I cut a dovetail by eye and while it’s not beautiful, it looks better than I thought my first dovetail would look and cutting 90 degrees perpendicular was nearly on the nose and practically easy.

My initial impressions are pretty fantastic – the pics posted are, in order, my first ever hand cut dovetail, the small amount of tearout on the near side of a piece of maple (no tearout at all on the far side) and a dollar bill folded twice that was a tight fit in the kerf, which at about .017” is right in line with the 16-thou in LV’s description.

Negatives: – the blade is not replaceable, it is brazed on just inside the handle – the tang is a little loose in the handle (which is how I was able to determine the braze), but once in use I did not notice and play – no hole to hang it, so I drilled a little hole at the end of the handle and added a piece of string

Positives:
- cuts fast and straight
- the steel back stiffens it nicely, the Ryoba flexes too much for me to get a tight cut at my current skill level
- super thin kerf and almost no tearout
- nice long handle allows for two-handed use and is still very controllable

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View John's profile

John

View lew's profile

lew

Like you, I find the control of the Japanese pull saw far superior to the western push style. My dovetails improved tremendously when I switched to the pull saw.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

I concur as I too have this saw. I haven’t challenged myself to hand-cut doves though. My Dad’s Gent’s saw with standard teeth stays in the drawer. I’d rather pull it too.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

Nice review. Good luck it looks like you’ll have it down quickly!

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

Just purchased and can’t wait to try it! Thanks for the reviews and info from everyone. I had been thinking of getting a Gents saw, but seeing how much I like the little Japanese saws I already have, I think this is the way to go. No turning back now! I’m a total pull saw addict:)