Easy to sharpen but lack durability

Review by Manitario posted 753 days ago 4911 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Easy to sharpen but lack durability No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

There have been so many positive reviews about these chisels that I thought I’d chime in with my experience with them. I’ve had these chisels for about 6 months. They were my first set of “real” ie. not big box store chisels. I’d read many positive reviews about the Narex set, and they are very reasonably priced, so I took the plunge. Overall, the machining and finish of the chisels was excellent. It took very little effort to lap the backs flat. I keep them sharpened to a 25 deg. bevel. They sharpen easily to a razor sharp edge. The vast majority of the work I do with them is paring; ie. they’re not used to chop mortises or scrape glue or open paint cans (!) etc. What I’ve noticed though is that they lose their edge very quickly, and the edge will bend or roll up, which requires a lot of work to re-sharpen each time, ie. no quick honing between uses. Maybe this is a normal occurrence…maybe it would be better if I re-ground them to 30 degrees…maybe this is just a bad batch, I don’t know. Anyways, I’m going to give them only 3/5 stars. Eventually I’ll try re-grinding them to 30 degrees, but I wish now that I’d waited and spent a bit more money to get a set that is more durable.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Have you tried putting a 30 degree microbevel on them? I have some mediocre chisels that seem to hold up pretty well, that way. I just keep the Worksharp on the 30 deg mark, and it takes very little to resharpen the microbevel.

Actually getting in the shop a little this weekend, but as a favor to a neighbor and his kids. They need some 4” long 9/16” diam holes through the body of a large number of puppet torsos built from a piece of 2×4 stud. So I am starting the hole with a Forstner bit, then using a spade bit for most of it due to the depth of the hole, and then completing the other end of the hole with a Forstner again. Since the stud lumber is not very uniform, can’t use a fixed jig, and have to adjust each one for centering.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

Next on my list is to try a 30 deg bevel…would be nice if someone would come up with a metal that never needed sharpening…
“a large number of puppet torsos…” – You certainly lead an interesting life!! Have great weekend!

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Robert Brown's profile

Robert Brown

What are you paring? I have the same sharpened at 25 degrees. On paring red oak there was no bending or roll over. Edge retention was better than the old Marples from Sheffield I also have. One of my Narex fell on the concrete. A corner of the edge broke off. Yours sound soft. Maybe if you ground them back you may get to the good metal.

View meikou's profile

meikou

Perhaps you should try Paul Sellers sharpening method. Stronger bevel his way.

View oskarman's profile

oskarman

i have a set of Narex chisels and trust me, the problem with them has nothing to do with sharpening method. they simply do not hold an edge for very long. they are well made and a very good value. they just don’t hold their edge for very long. i would buy them again, but am looking forward to the day i can afford a set of Lie-Nielsens and can relegate my Narex chisels to second team status.

View thebigvise's profile

thebigvise

Count my vote for the Narex bevel chisels. I use a 25 degree bevel with a 30-degree microbevel. I have been very pleased with edge retention..

-- Paul, Clinton, NC

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Sounds like we have an issue with consistency! Some people say they are hard (RB chipped his) others say they are soft. Maybe I should get a set to see which one I come up with!

I have been thinking of a set of Narex mortising chisels. Maybe I’ll wait…

I have them and I like them very much.
StumpyNubs I believe that misread the comments above.
It seems to me that the micro bevel makes the difference.

View Nicky's profile

Nicky

It does sound like inconsistancies in manufacturing. More to the point, it sounds like your new set of chisels have not been properly tempered (as described by the bending and rolling). Anyone agree? If yes, how would one check if any blade is “properly” tempered.

-- Nicky

View PhiltheLuthier's profile

PhiltheLuthier

I have two sets of Narex bevel edge chisels. They seem to be differently made, my older set which I quite like has a heavy ring to keep the handle from splintering if you hit it with a mallet. The newer set, has this ring replaced with a light stamped steel one, and frankly I find I rarely reach for these ones as they don’t seem to work as well. I’m not sure about edge retention I’ll have to pay more attention, though it hasn’t struck me as being really poor for either set.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

Sounds like a set I would think about not getting. Broken record here, but I’ve been very happy with my set of the Stanley SW re-issues. They really are nice tools… Sixth project with dovetails since purchase, only now are some getting a re-sharpened since initial set-up.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive