Supermax 19-38

Review by Bill7255 posted 750 days ago 6476 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Supermax 19-38 Supermax 19-38 Supermax 19-38 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted to add a drum sander to sand some cabinet doors I am making. I did a lot of research and came across the Supermax sander. There is not a lot of information on this sander as it has been out about a year. So I took a chance on what was listed as features that seemed to address some of the concerns with drum sanders and made the purchase. The sander is well packaged for shipment. It comes with an open stand that is fine (you will need casters), but I ordered the closed stand. I also opted for the feed tables. Paint is good, no chips or anything. The things I like about it are it was very easy to set up. It is all cast iron and sits on a cast iron frame. I checked the drum concentricity was less than 0.001. Initially the table was -0.029 low on the open end. Adjustment is made by loosing 4 allen screws and adjusting by turning one nut to raise and lower that end. Within two iterations (10 minutes) I was within 0.001 and quit there. That was about all the set up there was to it. The belt tracking seemed fine, no problems with any of the hardware or threads during minimal assembly. Everything fit nicely. Features I like are the solid metal cover. It is thick metal and when attaching a dust collector hose it is solid and has a positive latch. I like the DRO that was a free upgrade at the time I ordered the sander. I think without it I would be burning a lot of wood until I got the hang of it. I was amazed how easy it was for me to change the sand paper. They provide a little tool to hook the closed end clip, but there is plenty of room for your fingers. The Supermax has what they call a “fast lever” which I have not used yet. This is for sanding wider than the 19-inch width. To use it you loosen two bolts and move the lever, then retighten the bolts. This adjusts the table for sanding wider than 19 inches. The belt is a variable speed with what Supermax calls intelisand that will slow the speed automatically if too much is being taken off. It has a 1 ¾ hp motor. I somehow tested this by trying to take too much off and putting a nice 2 inch burn mark in the wood, but the motor did not stall (and the intellisand did kick in). The motor and DRO are made specifically for Supermax to their specifications, so no mfg name on them. The boards I sanded came out very flat within a few thousands the entire length and I have not noticed any snipe at all indicating the pressure rollers were adjusted properly at the factory. Lastly the Supermax Customer Support is excellent. Very quick to answer my questions and the fact that they only make sanders I think is a plus. Overall the performance, quality, support and use I give it 5 stars in every category. I think it is a very good tool competitively priced and if you are looking for a drum sander you might want to check this one out.

-- Bill R

View Bill7255's profile

Bill7255

View MNJackofAllTrades's profile

MNJackofAllTrades

Price?

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

Niece review I am also wondering about price?

Interesting! Enjoy.

View bugz's profile

bugz

This lists for $1399 on amizon, I also have been looking at this sander. Please upgrade your review after you have used this awhile. Thanks for the great review.

-- Bob, Lewistown, Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View gillyd's profile

gillyd

Best customer service I have seen thus far from any company, hands down – I recently picked up a 25×2 Supermax on CL – quite a machine even after 20+ years. Nice get!

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

Good product enjoy your sander. Supermax we have at work the guys in fab have been using a bigger model for the past seven plus years.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Hcir's profile

Hcir

Nice review on the supermax. I have been looking to buy this also. What size dust collector are you using with it?

View Bill7255's profile

Bill7255

I will be posting an update in couple of weeks. Right now I usually hook the sander to a 1900 Jet. Needless to say this more than enough. I also have a 1100 jet, but have not used that with this sander as it is dedicated to the table saw. I did do some experiments with the fast lever (this is for sanding wider than 19 inches), and seems to be ok, but limited use so far. I took a 24 inch of plywood and ran through it. I am still very happy with the machine and will be doing cabinet doors in the near future and update the review.

-- Bill R

View JerryLab's profile

JerryLab

Hi Bill
I’m also interested in this drum sander and will be waiting for your future comments.
Nice review.

Jerry

-- Jerry, Waupaca, WI

View elewis's profile

elewis

Are there anymore reviews on the 19=38 sander? I am interested in this unit, but have some concerns about tracking and the feed belt which I believe is just sand paper. I understand they can easily tear on the end and also break at the seam. My old unit had a rubber feed belt that worked good. Does anyone know if this unit can be fitted with a rubber belt?

I am looking to purchase a drum sander soon, so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, is Amazon still the best place to buy?

Thanks,
Elewis

View BBrown626's profile

BBrown626

After reading this and other great reviews I elected to purchase one today. I ordered it with the in-feed and out-feed tables and 150 grit paper. Acme Tools had all the accessories available. Amazon only had the machine.

View BBrown626's profile

BBrown626

I received my sander today. It came with the digital meter installed so that was an unexpected bonus. Setting up the stand was a 30 minute job. everything was in fantastic shape and well packed. Instructions are clear and easy to follow. the only part that required assistance was hoisting the sander up onto the stand.
I sanded a few scrap pieces and felt pretty good about running a few project parts through it. i ran three glued up hard maple panels that are about 19×20. On the third one i developed a burn streak. A couple passes later the paper broke at that burn spot. I am sure it is my fault. Maybe a little too excited about the new toy and tried to take off too much material.
Up until my damaging the paper, the sander worked pretty well.
I used my Delta 400 (?) mobile dust collector and no dust escaped the sander.
I didn’t buy the casters, so I’ll pick up a set from the hardware store.
The extension tables did not arrive yet, but are not necessary for the small parts on my current project.
The operation instructions are clear if you need them. The only thing lacking were instructions for the digital height gauge. It was reading zero at the top and 4” at the bottom. I figured out how to reset it after playing around a bit.

Pretty impressive so far. Now to go find a local source for some 3” sand paper…

View JerryLab's profile

JerryLab

Keep us posted on how you like it. I’m still eyeing this one. Too bad about the paper breaking. Hopefully just needs a little adjusting.

Jerry