Pleasantly Surprised -or- The Abuse is Over

Review by DannyBoy posted 03-19-2008 04:59 PM 2371 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pleasantly Surprised -or- The Abuse is Over No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For years I suffered under the oppression of a hard backed miter box saw. I hated the fact that one cut took what seemed like hours and usually resulted in my arm feeling like a loose rubber band. The years that I had spent with my hard backed saw abusing me had caused me to grow so fond of it. It only hurt me because it loved me.

So, when I saw this saw (love that line) at my local Sears I was all flushed and almost ashamed to consider taking into the sanctity of my hard back saw and I’s workshop. But, alas, I needed the adventure and excitement that I might get caught to put some more zest into my life. So, $18.43 later (I felt so cheap) I was sneaking the saw back to my home in the trunk wrapped in a brown paper bag. Before I even brought it inside, I quickly ran in, removed my hard back saw from the wall, and placed it lovingly in a tool box telling it to sleep tight and I’d see it in the morning.

Then things got raunchy.

The Shark Pullsaw and I went all night. We cut everything we could find from 2×4s to 3/4 plywood; box joints to dovetails; cake to bread (that was really messy!) and the feelings were simply exhilarating! The cuts were so smooth and dead on. I felt like I could go on forever! I needed a cigarette.

Seriously, I don’t know why I didn’t make the switch to pull saws before. This was a great entry level for someone who doesn’t want to spend $40+ on a Japanese saw. I did replace the blade once after a particularly harrowing incident involving a jealous hard back (that I don’t talk to anymore). If you are looking for a quick and inexpensive alternative to the traditional methods or just want to try out a pull saw, this is the one for you. You won’t be disappointed.

-- He said wood...

View DannyBoy's profile

View GaryK's profile

#1 posted 03-19-2008 05:07 PM

Great review. Thanks.

View Bill's profile

#2 posted 03-19-2008 05:44 PM

It sounds like a good saw. Something for me to look into. Nicely done DB.

-- Bill, Turlock California,

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#3 posted 03-19-2008 05:59 PM

Long as you don’t come home and find all your tools piled in the driveway…
Fun review. I made the switch to pull saws about the same time I took woodworking back up, so there was no jealousy involved. I just accord my Dad’s saws the respect they deserve, and leave them hanging on the wall.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#4 posted 03-19-2008 06:04 PM

This may entice me into trying one of these.

-- -** You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ****************** Dick, & Barb Cain, Hibbing, MN.

View mrtrim's profile

#5 posted 03-19-2008 07:14 PM

you shameless hussy ! lol confessions of a shop wrecker ! im callin jerry springer lol so its a cordless saw wheres the battery pack ?

View Shopsmithtom's profile

#6 posted 03-19-2008 09:07 PM

I have the very same model and I just love it. Fun review! -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View teenagewoodworker's profile

#7 posted 03-19-2008 10:59 PM

thanks for the review. i’ve been looking for a good pull saw for dovetails.

View scottb's profile

#8 posted 03-20-2008 03:16 AM

I so love my pullsaw. I may upgrade to a “nice” one. but I’ve used mine for so much, and subjected it to so much abuse it is far and away one of, if not the most useful tools in my toolbox (at home, at work and yes, even doing nasty dirty sweaty work on the yard. My only beef isn’t with the saw but with the Big Box stores not carrying the replacement blades (not that I’m opposed to ordering them online)

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- --

#9 posted 03-20-2008 03:36 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been looking for one. I will have to strongly consider getting one of these.

View cajunpen's profile

#10 posted 03-20-2008 06:07 AM

That’s funny – I don’t care if you are a hard back saw. Good review – but I love my power tools.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased."

View rikkor's profile

#11 posted 03-20-2008 11:04 AM

That is a very clever review. I made the switch to pull saws about three years ago. Don’t look back.

View gerrym526's profile

#12 posted 03-20-2008 06:50 PM

I bought this saw over 10 years ago for a joinery class. Learned how to cut dovetails with it and have never considered using a traditional dovetail saw.
Once getting comfortable with it, I asked for a Dozuki saw for Xmas a few years ago and now use Japanese saws for hand tool joinery exclusively.
I still grab this saw when I need to make a quick cut-great value for the money.

-- Gerry

View grovemadman's profile

#13 posted 03-21-2008 11:16 AM

I’ve had mine for several years and I can’t see ever going back to traditional saws. Mine has never needed sharpening yet.

-- --Chuck

View joey's profile

#14 posted 03-21-2008 03:08 PM

I got one a few years back when one of the guys that worked for me had my hand saws on another job and I need to cut off the bottom of some door jambs so I got a so I bought a cheap one, ended up loving the saw, got a few more better made saw and they seem to be my go to saws now, by the way I still have the cheap one and still use it to cut off door jambs. I did make some scrapers out one of my old ripping saws.

-- Joey~~Sabina, Ohio

View Woodshopfreak's profile

#15 posted 03-23-2008 05:38 AM

Cool I may have to cosider this one. I have been wanting a pull saw.

-- Tyler, Illinois