Makita 18v Li-Ion Cordless Blower(BUB182Z)

Review by rance posted 849 days ago 4640 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita 18v Li-Ion Cordless Blower(BUB182Z) Makita 18v Li-Ion Cordless Blower(BUB182Z) Makita 18v Li-Ion Cordless Blower(BUB182Z) Click the pictures to enlarge them

How to clean your shop(and other places too)
I have the blessed opportunity to use a very good friend’s shop whenever I want. There are two really good things about working there:

1) He has sattellite radio piped in. That means I can listen to 50’s music all day long. He was listening to it before I got there so there’s no battle on what station to set it on. He also likes gospel music from time to time which I also enjoy. A great environment, and a very gracious friend to allow me to use his shop.

2) At the end of most days he likes to make a pass at cleaning up a lot of the dust that often accumulates. He introduced me to his cleaning aparatus. It is a Makita BUB182Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Blower.

Note the added cord for hanging it on a hook.

Just open the big door, start from the opposite end and start blowing all the dust out the door. At first I thought it was only good for the floor and the machines. However, I have recently discovered that it is actually a variable speed unit. Not only that, it has 3 speed settings if you are trigger-challenged.

Even with it on high though, I can gingerly pull the trigger and get a very light breeze that will not disturb the lightest of scraps lying on the bench. Here’s a before shot of a mess I made:

And after gingerly blowing the dust away:

The first thing you think of when you hear of using a cordless blower(or a leaf blower) is that you are working with 100mph capability. Actually, you are, but with this variable speed unit, you can control it to just a whisper. With that, its usability goes WAY up. You can swap the nozzle to the side port and put a bag on the output if you wanted to suck up the dust and capture it in a bag, but I can’t see that as very useful. Someone might need that feature though.

With the Lithum Ion batteries, you get a loooooong life from each charge. I currently don’t have any Makita cordless tools, but my next cordless just might be Makita so I can also double duty the batteries with one of these blowers. I highly recommend it to make cleaning your shop a breeze. (Sorry Steve, I just can’t help myself. I just kill me.)

Actually, I have another good friend that does a very similar thing with his shop. He added an attic fan to one corner of his shop(opposite corner of an outside door). He opens the outside door, turns on the attic fan, and uses a small corded vacuum cleaner with it set to blow, and does basically the same thing. The bestest and quickest way to clean the dust in your shop(variable speed or not).

PS: Hey Rod, you should see this thing…

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View rance's profile

rance

View redryder's profile

redryder

I can see the safety committee showing up for this but I can see what your doing and if it works for you, great. Dust does go on forever…..................

-- mike...............

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi Rance,

We use a similar method to clena up in the shop. Before leaving for lunch we’ll use a long nozzel on or air compressor, blow the dust off every surface. Between the dust collectors we have on the ceiling, and the open doors, it’s amazingly clean we we get back.

Of course, the guy doing this is wearing a dust mask.

Makita is a brand I stopped using about 20 years ago. I did buy their 18 volt screw gun kits a couple years ago, due to the size of them. They’re fantastic! They’ve been through the ringer at a couple construction projects and handled it quite well. To the point others working at the job would go buy them!

Lee

View Roger's profile

brings a whole new meaning to getting blown away by the pull of a trigger.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

I do the same thing with a backpack leaf blower. On idle i can clean the tops of tools and then i crank it for everything else. It’s an added benefit of having your shop outside.

View jaydubya's profile

jaydubya

Great idea, And I already have the drill and impact that uses those batteries

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

-- In the end, when your life flashes before your eyes, will you like what you see?

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5391 posts in 2026 days

The variable speed and the mobility of a non-corded unit is fantastic. I use the head off my Craftsman wet dry vac and it’s not VS and it’s corded. I’ll seriously look into the Makita blower.

OnlyJustME wroteI like everything about the makita 18v lxt line except the drill chucks are horrible. trying to get them to hold onto a round drill bit while drilling through hard material is tricky. i’ve actually broken gear teeth trying to tighten the chuck enough to no avail. i switched my drill to a milwaukee and have almost no trouble with that.

That’s strange. I have 3 of them and have had no problems with them holding bits. Even in metal.

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

You must be one lucky guy because i’ve had several and guys that i work with that have them have the same problem with it. When it comes to smaller round bits it just doesn’t hold strong enough.