DeWalt Side Strike Chisel Really Work

Review by Harry_Ch posted 03-26-2012 11:09 PM 3681 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt Side Strike Chisel Really Work DeWalt Side Strike Chisel Really Work No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently got the DeWalt Side Strike Chisel because I needed a tool that could take being used and abused but wouldn’t complain about it later. Saw the batoning chisel LV has, but got to handle this one first.

Out of the box(so to speak), it has a good sturdy blade with a 1 inch chisel nose along with an equally good side bevel/serrated edge(dang left-handed design). The handle is thick enough to fit your hand very well, regardless of which way you are holding it. That’s hard to find in some multi use tools. It’s metal end cap is a good solid striking surface. You can tell some one at DeWalt really did their job designing it.

It worked great on tearing apart some pallets and boxes without denting or bending itself out of shape. Got plenty of leverage from the handle. The side chisel is great at striking a line or splitting through a piece of wood for kindling. And the serrated edge takes care of cutting cords or straps. Just for the heck of it, I was even able to chop through a 2×4 with no big issues. I then was able to pare a clean mortise after all that abuse.

One fine tool to have if you want something to use and abuse with out the worries.

-- Deeds not Words.

View Harry_Ch's profile

Harry_Ch

View Cajunrotor's profile

Cajunrotor

#1 posted 03-27-2012 12:18 PM

This is totally new to me…....I didn’t know there was even such a thing as a “side strike” chisel. I can certainly see some applications for it so I may just have to pick one of these up “just in case”.

-- Earl

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

#2 posted 03-28-2012 05:14 PM

How well does it sharpen and hold an edge?

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#3 posted 03-28-2012 05:19 PM

Very interesting!

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

112087 posts in 2230 days

#4 posted 03-28-2012 05:24 PM

Interesting tool and good review. it’s new to me also.

View stefang's profile

stefang

13024 posts in 1988 days

#5 posted 03-28-2012 09:05 PM

Is it left handed or is it meant to be held with the edge towards you thereby exposing the striking surface so you can give it a whack with your mallet held in your right hand? I’ve never seen one of these before either. Interesting tool.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#6 posted 04-08-2012 11:05 AM

I bought one of these “Side Strikes” and I would not part with it for anything. The last house renovation I did had non dimensional framing. The 1” gouged out 14 window openings and a couple doors. I beat the hell out of this chisel and it still looks great. There are a few deep nicks in it right now, but nothing that a little grinding and honing cant fix. This tool easily fits into my ”must have” because of the work I do.

Great post/review Harry.

View Zinderin's profile

Zinderin

#7 posted 08-11-2012 05:39 PM

I’d never heard of such a thing … so I went looking for a video: