Got router a week ago, these are my first impressions of it.

Review by ZLSBOARDWORKS posted 03-26-2012 06:08 AM 2843 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Got router a week ago, these are my first impressions of it. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Received my porter cable 893 pk from amazon about a week ago, I also received a few router bits along with it. Setting up the router was a cinch, and the fine tuning and measurement adjustments are real easy to use. I don’t know If I like how the motor locks into the base, I had figured when purchasing it that the motor had attached the same way as the older porter cable model like a cork screw. I also don’t know if I like how there is now a spindle lock for tightening and loosening the collet. It is goofy when you try to bear down to tighten or loosen. I feel that the old double wrench style worked great. I was able to tighten and loosen the colllet with ease. I haven’t been able to try out the vacuum port yet but it seems like its going to work quite well. Overall when using the router, it started up smooth and quiet. The variable speed worked great, the plunge base was smooth no hickups in the compression or decompression of it. The depth adjustment also worked great, the application that I was using it for it was right on the money. I have a feeling that I made a great decision with this router, when I was reading reviews I kept seeing that this model was what all other make and models should look up to. After using it I can say it is most definitely a really nice clean and powerful tool, but I have also used the Bosch plunge and fixed base 2 1/4 hp router and it to is a really nice machine that is just as capable as the porter cable.

-- Zach @ http://www.zlsboardworks.com

View ZLSBOARDWORKS's profile

ZLSBOARDWORKS

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 03-26-2012 07:37 AM

Congrats, it’s a great kit, just a bit expensive for me.
The plunge base is one of the best out there (same as the dewalt 6182) and dust collection works very well.

I hate spindle locks too. I’m not sure if you can with the 890, but I;d just get another wrench and use the two wrenches. I do it with all my routers.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View rkober's profile

rkober

#2 posted 03-26-2012 03:25 PM

Thanks for the review. I got the same one (but with the vac handle) a few months ago to backup my older Bosch. There’s some things I like better on my old Bosch but others that I really like on the new PC. I actually like the spindle lock. The collets release the bit much easier than my old router. The depth stop is so-so and I miss the fine adjustment. I love the loose motor design which also works great with a lift (which is the main reason I got the new router). I hope it serves you well for many years.

-- Ray - Spokane, WA - “Most people don’t recognize opportunity because it’s usually disguised as hard work.” - Unknown

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

#3 posted 03-26-2012 04:40 PM

I don’t know If I like how the motor locks into the base

They brake very easy so be very careful with how you use it…

Use it vary sparingly…

It’s a very handy feature til it brakes…

-- Rick

View RogerM's profile

RogerM

#4 posted 03-29-2012 11:24 PM

I have a host of PC routers and love them all. Very functional and reliable with plenty of power.

-- Roger M, Aiken, SC

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#5 posted 11-30-2012 01:53 AM

I bought the same kit from Amazon a year ago. I’ve been using it all year in the plunge base and in the fixed base in my table and it’s a great tool in both uses. I love the power and the smoothe start. When I wrote my review of it I had to address some of the complaints that I’ve read around the web about it and I’ve come the conclusion that many, if not most, of them are related to how the tool is being used and not build quality. With a little common sense and realistic expectations, this router will perform very well for a very long time.