Excellent once tuned

Review by mcase posted 03-25-2012 12:41 AM 4897 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent once tuned No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me start by saying that I am very pleased with the results of this miter gauge. The cuts it produces are consistently great. I check them against a Mitatoyo machinist square and they are dead on. They are far, far more accurate and consistent then those produced by my Bosch slider. There are however some limitations and problems which I will explain in detail so my fellow LJs will know just what to expect. I bought the Incra 1000 SE about three months ago. The Incra 1000 SE comes with a telescoping fence and a flip stop integrated with the usual Incra toothed locking arrangement. The manufacturer claims it can telescope out to 31” though with the stop in place its capacity is really 30”. It has forty one indexed stops and a vernier scale that allows for 1/10 degree increment adjustments. I employ it on a an Industrial SS with a 53” fence and right side extension table. I do all my crosscutting on the right of the blade anyway, so I set my Incra up for right side cuts. I mention this for two reasons. One, for this or any other miter gauge to really produce accurate results your table saw must have well machined miter slots. It would probably be a waste of money to buy the Incra in the hope of getting accurate results on a saw with a cast aluminum table. The second reason has to do with one the Incra’s limitations. The telescoping fence has a tendency to drop down when its on the further end of its extension. This is not an issue when cutting on the right and its supported by an extension table. If you are going to cut on the left as most people do it count on having to leave at least two and possible three inches unextended. This puts a real limit on its usefulness so that if you cutting on the left it would probably be better to skip the telescoping feature and buy one of the Incra gauges with a simple long non-telesoping fence. The second limitation has to do with the slick grooved aluminum fence. Its grooved for a reason having to do with accurately using the stop with sharp pointed miters, but it effectively precludes attaching an abrasive surface. The result is that when you use the fence without the flip stop there is a tendency for the work piece to slip away from the blade. No problem if your cut is under 30” and you can use the stop. However, you have to really watch the slipping with longer stock. I should point out that I like the cuts this thing gives me so much that I ordered the 49” telescoping fence ($65.00) so now I’m good out to 48”. One final issue has to do with the bracket that holds the fence to the miter gauge. The bracket is NOT bent at a true right angle. The company makes light of this in their directions suggesting that you “might” consider shimming it to true with paper. Shimming with paper my A—! And believe me you DO have to shim it. With all the Incra hype about accuracy I was really put off by this and almost returned it to the store. I’m glad I didn’t, but it was close. Anyway I took some aluminum shim stock and spent an hour of trial and error truing it up. Once It was shimmed true the rest on the set up was a breeze. So to sum up: One – expect it to droop without support (either go with a different Incra non-extending fence or use it over an extesnion table). Two – To get really consistent results on longer stock count on spending another $65.00 for the longer fence. Three – expect to be shimming the bracket. So LJs I’m into it for more money than I planned and I had to do part of Incra’s job for them, but I have never had such perfect cross cuts.

View mcase's profile

mcase

View TexAus's profile

TexAus

#1 posted 03-25-2012 01:49 AM

I’ve had this gauge from several years and I think it is great once its tuned. That being said, I too had to shim the bracket that holds the fence to the gauge to get things square. I own lots of Incra stuff and I have been extremely happy with everything. However, I was shocked at how badly out of square the bracket on the gauge is. This is a company that specializes is accuracy so you would think they could do a decent job attaching a fence to the gauge. Especially for a $100+ precision miter gauge. I can’t believe the folks at Incra could be satisfied with that bracket they way it is. Fortunately it is pretty easy to shim it and get it fixed, but we shouldn’t have to do that to a premium gauge.

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#2 posted 03-25-2012 01:52 AM

Yeah I was pretty pissed when I read I had to shim the fence….The other two objections you noted I noticed as well but could live with them, the shimming though, that chapped my hide.. :-)

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

View DocK16's profile

DocK16

#3 posted 03-25-2012 01:55 AM

i have used numerous incra products for years including this one. I also had to fool with it to get it true 90. I also find when you change from 90 deg to 45 you have to reset the fence to support the work piece close the blade especially when cutting shorter pieces. This requires resetting the fence and recalibrating the flip stop each time you return to 90 which is a pain.

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#4 posted 03-25-2012 02:18 AM

I have this mitre gauge as well; I fully agree with your comments. It is a great addition to my shop; within its limits. As well, I’ve never really figured out how to use the included measuring system on it…but maybe that’s just me!

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Deycart's profile

Deycart

#5 posted 03-25-2012 05:36 AM

I have been using this miter for a few months and have to say it is really accurate with the flip stop. Once set (fairly easy) It is very very easy to get repeatable cuts that would of taken me more than a few minutes on my poor craftsman.

#6 posted 03-25-2012 09:55 PM

These are great miter gauges, sorry to hear you had this issue. I am surprised the retailer did not make an adjustment.

-- Norman

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

870 posts in 2041 days

#7 posted 03-26-2012 03:05 AM

Mine was a little different, the stamped 90 degree steel part needed the shim for 90 degree, but the extrusion was also out 0.010” from top to bottom (table). If you used it without clamping to the fence it wouldn’t show up. If you clamped near the top of the fence, then you had the piece canted back toward you.

I was using it with a short fence on it and was cutting at an angle which exaggerated the issue. It was darn perplexing for a while. Hard to see a degree or so, but I put a light behind the machinist block and could see it. That is when I started measuring everything.

Take a caliper and measure your extrusion at the bottom (table side) and the top.

Great miter once tuned, but…

Steve.

View david_larch's profile

david_larch

#8 posted 03-26-2012 03:15 AM

Well timed review. I just ordered the 1000SE and ME combo. I know what to look out for now. I had planned on using mine on the left side, mostly because I cant visualize using it on the right. Something to think about. My saw and Incras should get here on the same day. Thanks for the review.

-- www.alibiwoodworks.com

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

#9 posted 03-27-2012 12:36 PM

I agree with your assessment of this tool. We use it in our shop on our uni-saws and couldn’t be happier with its accuracy once shimmed and trued.
One addition we made, and couldn’t live without, is a sacrificial fence mounted on the front. It was tough to drill and countersink for holding screws given the recesses in the aluminum profile, but once in place there is no slippage. Using a facing board allows us to eyeball the cut to the kerf in the board for quick, super accurate trimming. The stops still work ok for straight and mitre cuts if the workpiece is a reasonable thickness. We don’t use the telescoping feature much as the mitre saw or panel saw seems to be a better bet for long stuff.
The vernier scale is quite beautiful too for complex angles on small work.

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#10 posted 03-27-2012 04:16 PM

Sounds like false advertising to me.

They claim uber accuracy out of the box and yet you have to “tune” it to make it work properly.

Sounds like the automotive industry where you can gain up to 40 horsepower with the gee-wiz intake tube.

-- Mike

View wooded's profile

wooded

#11 posted 03-29-2012 06:04 AM

I really enjoy the positive stop surface built into the stop block.

-- Joe in Pueblo West, Colo. jdelong264@msn.com

View sbk's profile

sbk

9 posts in 1935 days

#12 posted 05-05-2012 08:31 PM

“The bracket is NOT bent at a true right angle.” That was my experience as well. My bracket required shimming as you mentioned. It’s a great Miter, but you would think that Incra would fix this problem with the bracket.

-- Stephen, Missouri City, Texas

View HorizontalMike's profile

HorizontalMike

#13 posted 10-12-2012 11:22 PM

Thanks for addressing some of the accuracy issues with this miter. I have the 1000HD and have found it accurate for short pieces under ~18”, however, significantly LESS THAN accurate on pieces longer than ~18”. My experience with crosscutting 30” pieces was that I could measure up to 1/8” flex in the extruded aluminum with very little effort at all. Bottom line is that these Incra miter gauges are great for small jewelry boxes and such but not for larger products.

-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

#14 posted 03-12-2013 11:27 PM

Mcase I just bought one and viewed your review, as for as the slippage goes the front of the fence as a slot designed so that you can put an extra wood padding of 3/4” on the face wouldn’t by doing this help minimize that slippage?

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

#15 posted 03-13-2013 12:46 AM

I might be wrong but is it possible the fence shimming to the bracket has been resolved? I see no where in the owners manual of having to add shims.