Rock solid Rockler tenoning jig

Review by GusRod posted 03-18-2008 06:08 AM 7282 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rock solid Rockler tenoning jig No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve used shop made wood and metal tenoning jigs before but this one far exceeded my expectations. The tool is as hefty as they come but glides along the miter slot as if it was on a cushion of air. It’s clamp is strong enough to easily hold three foot 4×4’s for a blacksmith workbench I made recently and it’s various adjustments make it ideal for accurate cuts on cabinet and furniture work. I highly recommend this tool and at around sixty five dollars it is well worth the price. I’ve found that the in-store prices are usually better than the catalog prices, but here in Texas we also have sales tax to add, so it comes out to about the same.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 03-18-2008 07:01 AM

I have a Delta one. They work great.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 03-18-2008 01:14 PM

I have one, too. Accurate set-up is the key.

#3 posted 03-18-2008 01:34 PM

Hi Mark. Welcome to the WWW (wonderful world of woodworking). Yes, it certainly is and that is extremely important when working with machines like table saws that can sometimes grab and throw pieces of wood at high enough speeds to cause serious injury. I started out as a teenager and I’m now 60 but like most others, I’ve had my share of learning experiences in the school of hard knocks. It’s easy to get impatient and make mistakes but you can always replace a piece of wood so your focus must always be on safety.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#4 posted 03-18-2008 03:38 PM

Good review Gus, I’ve been toying with ordering a tenon jig – might have to give this one a good look see.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

#5 posted 03-18-2008 05:55 PM

I have a Grizzly and love it. Best I can remember it was about $55. I think most of the tenoning jigs are pretty similar, even the adjustments. I know that having one when you need it sure makes woodworking easier. Not too long ago, I asked if anyone knew of a plan to build a jig to make slots for inserts in the corners of boxes and frames. I had forgotten all about my tenoning jig. It works great for this, as well as many other things. It’s more than just a tenoning jig for sure.

View coolbreeze's profile

coolbreeze

#6 posted 03-18-2008 07:14 PM

Thanks, JJ. I ordered a Grizzly and it’s supposed to be here tomorrow. Shop made jigs are good, but why not just buy one and use it for the rest of my life?

-- Jason, AL

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#7 posted 03-18-2008 09:16 PM

that looks like a good deal. i was thinking of getting one but the delta is too expensive and i don’t want to take my chance with harbor freight. i think that I’ll get this one.

#8 posted 03-18-2008 11:14 PM

I hear what you’re saying coolbreeze….... I’ve had the “curse of the box joint jig” going on…...... I’ve been trying to make one that works properly for the past year and a half. I’ve tried and tried and can’t get it to work. Once I thought I had it….... made some cuts on some scraps and they looked good… the next day…. tried the same jig and nothing was right. I know they’re a simple jig for most to build, but not me for sure. I even bought the plans and ordered the hardware kit to make one….. well, that one was doing ok, until today. At some point you have to consider how much time your wasting trying to make something that you can’t get right. I ordered one from Woodcraft today.

View Sandy's profile

Sandy

#9 posted 03-19-2008 04:13 AM

I purchased the Rockler tenoning jig today, after having read all of the five star reviews. I haven’t tried it yet, but I have some tenons to do, so I’m looking forward to giving it a workout.

As far as box joints go, I have an Incra LS17 on the router table I designed, and it has given me perfect box joints from the first time I tried it.

View Yettiman's profile

Yettiman

#10 posted 03-20-2008 09:41 PM

Hi,

I have a non standard, Mitre gauge slot (10 mill, not 3/4”).

Can you remove the runner and insert your own?

Many Thanks

-- Keep your tools sharp, your mind sharper and the coffee hot

#11 posted 03-20-2008 09:57 PM

Hi yettiman,

It has two cap screws on the bottom in counterbored holes, so I suppose you could remove the existing runner and install your own, if the hole placement on yours allows it. Otherwise you would have to drill out your runner or make one from scratch. The good news is that it CAN be done, from what I can see. I did not remove the runner on mine but it is the standard 3/4 X 3/8 inch.

View Yettiman's profile

Yettiman

#12 posted 03-20-2008 11:39 PM

Hi GusRod,

Many Many thanks for getting back – really appreciate it

-- Keep your tools sharp, your mind sharper and the coffee hot

#13 posted 03-21-2008 03:23 AM

No problem! That’s what we’re here for. I see from your home page that you’re a beginner and I have to say I envy you. When I started out, there was no one to ask and tools were not so readily available. In fact, my first table saw was a home made saw my father built on a wooden table. It had two pillow blocks, a shaft and a blade. No guard, no miter slots and the only fence was a 2×4 nailed to whatever spot it was needed. LOL. My first and only power tool for several years was a Craftsman 1/4 inch drill that was used as a sander, a drill and I built two jigs to use it as a drill press and a small lathe! Yes, that’s REALLY TRUE!

I learned a LONG TIME AGO that the tools don’t do the work … the craftsman does. It takes knowledge, patience, perseverance and the desire to do good work. Have fun and welcome.

Gus

View coolbreeze's profile

coolbreeze

#14 posted 03-22-2008 04:21 AM

JJ,

Ah, yes, the box joint jig. I made one..you should see it :) It worked perfect on the first try, but I didn’t have so much luck the next time around. I guess it happens to all of us. I may try it again and then get a jig if I need to. Let me know how you like yours. I’ll keep the Incra in mind, Sandy. I’ve been eyeballing the 1000 series mitre guage. 109 bucks is pretty good for what it does. Got to get that to where I don’t have to check it every time I start a run of cuts.

-- Jason, AL

#15 posted 03-22-2008 01:30 PM

Jason,
I received the Woodsmith Box Joint Jig Friday via FedEx. I ordered it from Woodcraft. I was right in the middle of a project and couldn’t stop to try it out. It looks great and has the ability to make micro-adjustments. I plan to try it out sometime Saturday and I’ll let you know.