Back Issue Library

Review by Karson posted 839 days ago 3541 views 1 time favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Back Issue Library No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just received the Woodsmith Back Issue library. I gave it a 4 stars because it doesn’t give you full search capability of all issues.

When you start it on your computer it comes up in a window in your browser. On the first page is all of the 200 covers for all 200 issues. You can click on a cover and go to that issue.

Once you are there you have to go through it page by page, and there is no search capability when in an issue.

On the main page is a search section and you can search within titles and index or a deeper search. This search is only valid when searching all issues. There is no search in an issue.

I did find that if you go into the files and starting at issue 103 you can search for any word, but only if you use Adobie or Foxit viewers. Other viewers might be able to find words also but I did not test.

What is interesting is that issue 103 is the first White Paper Issue. All issues prior to that were printed on yellow paper. They are hard top read and I’ve got some early paper issues and they are also hard to read.

I didn’t try printing selected pages but the advertising says you can do it and I assume they don’t lie.

I copied all of the files from the dvd to my hard drive 2.7GB and it operated a lot faster that doing all of the moving around using the dvd.

There was no installation

On my computer when I clicked on any issue of on an article in the search, it opened that item in a new tab in the browser. To go back to the main menu is just required clicking on the first tab.

After a bunch of searching I needed to close a lot of old tabs, but those pages are kept open so you don’t have to go find them again.

The price I paid was $99.00 US and no shipping. This might be an introductory price.

I just tried something, I took Nuance PDF Converter Professional Vs 7 that I bought 2 days ago. I opened the PDF Converter Program and then opened Issue 10 of Woodsmith DVD. I had the program scan it and in about 2 minutes I had a new file that had done an OCR conversion on the file. I saved the new file as the old name. It doubled the size. I opened it in Foxit Viewer and searched for the work Walnut and it found 6 occurances of the and word and jumped me to each occurance. I guess I’ll have a little nightly job converting the first 102 issues.

That won’t change any of the searching that is done in the as issued DVD. It will only work on other search processing.

I use windows search and windows has created a massive index of everything on my hard drive. Kind of like a Google search of the web. I can do a search of my computer. Once I do the conversions to these PDF’s they will also be indexed in the windows search. I do include PDF’s in my search table build.

An addendum for my original review.

There are 7,598 files on this dvd. Most of them are jpg’s that are of a thumbnail type for posting on their search page.

The search that is used in this dvd seems to be searching in a summary of what the article is trying to present. It’s also has about a two liner description to help you make the determination if this is the article that you want to view. So the publisher has gone to an effort to make a ”Cliffs Notes” summary of the article.

Along with the small summary you also get a picture of the cover of the issue and the first page of the article. So it you kind of remember something, the pictures will help you in that search. I’ve been unable to find their indexing file and it does get copied to the Hard drive if you do that manually.

I searched for toy and found one issue that had three articles on toy making so they were all grouped together. It is a great reacting product.

View Karson's profile (online now)

Hi Karson , all the ads that I’ve seen claim that this is supposed to be fully searchable. Thanks for the heads-up : )
Still debating if I really need this for $99. I have so many other woodworking magazines that are full of projects and plans that I’ve yet to accomplish.
Have a great night , my friend : )

View Karson's profile (online now)

It is searchable using the search in the main screen. I just searched for Walnut in the supplied search and it found 17 occurrences. None of them were from issue 10 where I found 6 occurrences after I did an OCR conversion.

The search are 1(Search Title, Article Summary, and Index ONLY)
2(Search Full Article Text (including Title, Article Summary, and Index))

So they are doing article summary and not each word in the article.

View Karson's profile (online now)

I just searched for Walnut in issue 200. I found 9 occurrences in that issue. The Woodsmith search found zero in issue 200 It stated that there were 17 occurrences in all 200 issues. I would assume that there are more than that.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Thanks for the review Karson. Sounds like it may be a browser’s CD. You can curl up with it in front of the fire on a cold winter night while the missus is doing the dishes ;-))

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Very NICE Review, Karson!

On any of the issues, can you click on the Table of Contents items and go to That article?
... or is it enter Page# & Go to it… (if they are in Sync. with the File)??

Very interesting…

Thank you very much!

View Karson's profile (online now)

Joe: No you can’r click on anything in the index and go to that page. The index is like a page of text.

111999 posts in 2160 days

Interesting I would hope it would be like the FWW archive ,that work really well.

View Napaman's profile

Napaman

karson…you are clearly just too tech savy….you must be a lumber jock! Good review…

-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007

View KMT's profile

KMT

Good info to have. Thanks Karson

-- - Martin

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2018 days

Nice review Karson. Do you believe the Library is worth it?

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Roger's profile

good review Karson. sounds like there may be a few glitches in there. you should contact Woodsmith to see if there is a patch

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Karson's profile (online now)

Roger: You are getting 200 issues of Woodsmith for 50 cents an issue. The alphabet index for the issues allows you to find articles that might interest you.

So it’s in line with the other DVD magazines issues so I believe that it’s worth the value.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

Thanks Karson!

This reminds me of a looseleaf notebook I have.

It holds issues 1 – Jan. 1979 thru 22 – July 1982 with index tabs.

I must have more of these early issues in a box somewhere, I’ll have to look.

I didn’t remember this until today. I just got thru flipping thru it. It brought back many memories.

When you look at it, you can see a lot of projects that keep coming back on various magazines nowadays.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Dick n Barb,

Yes, I’ve noticed that too… in several magazines… seems like they “get together” to see what they can show this month!

Like WOOD March 2012 issue… One Bookcase 3 Ways!
I’ll bet I’ve seen that same title at least 3-4 times over the years!

What Goes Around, Comes Around…
... just stick around long enough & you will see it too… LOL

Gives you a Reason to keep on a Kickin! LOL

View dakotawood's profile

dakotawood

Thanks for the review. I ordered mine a few days ago.

-- Travis, South Dakota