FINISHING NIGHTMARES/AVOIDING & FIXING

Review by a1Jim posted 03-22-2012 03:28 AM 2524 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
FINISHING NIGHTMARES/AVOIDING & FIXING No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just finished watching the two disc DVD set by Charles Neil . I own almost all of Charles DVD sets and thought having viewed Charles finishing A-Z beyond the books, a ten disc set ,full of great finishing info, that there would not be that much new for me to learn ,but as usual just when I think I have picked up all the know information Charles has to offer he brings all new ideas and details to light. Of course there was some review of how finishing works but there were also things not touched upon before. This DVD set helps even folks with very little knowledge about finishing to find a way to solve everyday finishing problems and how to avoid them in the first place, it also explains how certain finishes work or don’t very well. Charles has 40years of finishing and woodworking experience and has written articles in fine woodworking about finishing and woodworking plus he has been teaching finishing classes for years. If in doubt about Charles ability just take a look at his work and finish on many fine pieces of furniture listed on his web site. This set is only $29.95 a real bargain considering that just one of his tips could save you hundreds of dollars .Charles puts all this information forward in easy to understand language, as if you dropped by his shop asking for finishing help. My rating 10 stars but I can only rate 5 here.

View grandpasworkshop's profile

grandpasworkshop

#1 posted 03-22-2012 03:41 AM

Thanks Jim Ill look into his site .
Should get all cradle done Thurs and then all the owner has to do is stain it. Got to say it looks real nice.

-- Grandpaj

View BlankMan's profile

BlankMan

1487 posts in 2072 days

#2 posted 03-22-2012 05:03 AM

Is this a paid endorsement? Just kidding. Thanks for the info, that price it very reasonable, I’m going to look into maybe getting the set. Love watching and reading everything and anything I can, I always do pick up something.

-- -Curt, Milwaukee, WI

#3 posted 03-22-2012 05:11 AM

Sound like a good idea Curt, Maybe if Charles gets 100 orders I can get that boy scout knife.LOL

View BlankMan's profile

BlankMan

1487 posts in 2072 days

#4 posted 03-22-2012 05:42 AM

Jim, LOL

-- -Curt, Milwaukee, WI

15144 posts in 1908 days

#5 posted 03-22-2012 08:14 AM

This is worth it no doubt. He has helped me many times. Super nice guy. When I was having trouble with some dye streaking he worked with me and offered advice w/o trying to sell me anything. I have bought his products and will agian.
Nice review.

View Roger's profile

#6 posted 03-22-2012 12:00 PM

Thnx for the review Jim.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View sandhill's profile

sandhill

#7 posted 03-22-2012 01:40 PM

It kills me to live so close to New Market and not be able to take the class he offered. I have the 10 CD set A – Z and love it.

View Drew - Rock-n H Woodshop's profile

Drew - Rock-n H Woodshop

#8 posted 03-22-2012 01:48 PM

I ordered last night. I also watched his video on blotching. Very informative!!! Jim you got another order for that knife!!!!

-- Drew -- "I cut it twice and it's still too short!"- Rock-n H Woodshop - Moore, OK

View rawdawgs50's profile

rawdawgs50

#9 posted 03-22-2012 05:59 PM

Sandhill…he is offering finishing classes multiple times a year in case you did not know.

I took the class this past fall, made the trip from Florida. Better than I imagined and got to pick his brain on a myriad of things unrelated to just finishing when stuff was drying.

Charles was an excellent teacher so I plan on taking another class from him in the future.

—Jason

View Richforever's profile

Richforever

#10 posted 03-22-2012 08:28 PM

I’m acquiring Charles’ DVD’s and learning a lot! He’s one of the best teachers ever.

-- Rich, Seattle, WA

View vman154's profile

vman154

#11 posted 03-23-2012 07:06 PM

t think i will look in to a set i wold like to learn more

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#12 posted 04-25-2014 09:58 PM

Reading it little by little and am enjoying it a lot…

there’s a lot to take in.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!