Keen Dust Router Review. Above and below table dust collection

Review by ardbeg posted 03-21-2012 12:50 AM 6631 views 10 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Keen Dust Router Review.  Above and below table dust collection Keen Dust Router Review.  Above and below table dust collection No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review for the Keen Products Company’s “Dust Router” http://www.keen-products.com/

This simple device really works wonders. I have a Bench Dog Cast Iron wing extension router table (the pic above is not my set up) and thought I was getting decent chip collection through the fence but this $40 gizmo makes DC’ing at the router table an art.

Description
The kit comes with:
-a sheet of plastic that you need to attach between your router and plate. Easy enough for me to do but if you have a complex lift it might give you headaches.

-a small, blue silicone “cup” with a hose hookup on the end

-two small hoses that attach to your fence and the “cup”

-a “T” to take the two hoses to your 2.5 inch DC hose or shop vac

Installation

Like I mentioned earlier, it went on pretty easy, about 30 minutes of work. You need to unmount your router and then place this plastic sheet between it and the plate. The opening in the plastic where the bit comes though is surrounded by velcro and the blue “cup” adheres to this. You then sandwich everything back together and put it back in the table. You hook one hose onto the fence and the other into the “cup”. Attach your vac of choice and you are up and running.

How it works
In a word—amazingly. I was originally running it with my Rigid shop vac and it was doing a nice job, but when I put a step-down adapter on my 4” dust collector hose this thing must have sucked up 98% + of of everything that came off the bit. I routed about 30 bf of round overs with it and there was literally no debris on the table or underneath, no dust in the air—absolutely great. Since it creates suction from above/behind and below the work piece it get it all. The magic is in the cup. Since it is essentially sealed (sort of) around the bit and to the plate there is no where for anything to go. In the long run this has to be much healthier for your router motor as well.

Bit Changes
Since the “cup” is silicone you can squash it to do above the table changes or you can pop the Velcro off and do below table if you r prefer. I did talk to a guy who had a hard time with it in his lift (I think he had a Jessem).

Complaints
Since I am using it with a table saw wing extension I do have to take it on and off all the time—this is not a shortfall of the equipment, just a by-product of my set-up. Likewise, since it is made to go behind the router table I wish the hoses were a little longer to go around the side more easily. So, I will be buying longer tubing-no biggie.

Last thoughts
Knowing how well it works and how much junk it is saving my lungs from, even if it was pricier I would still buy it.

I really think the magic is in the proximity of the suction to the bit and top of the plate. It is something you just can’t get with a box with a hose in it. Highly recommended. A no-brainer. To make it sweeter I was able to pick mine up at Woodcraft for $34.00 during their last sale.

#1 posted 03-21-2012 01:11 PM

who makes it

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

#2 posted 03-21-2012 02:48 PM

Keen Products. http://www.keen-products.com/

#3 posted 03-23-2012 05:47 AM

what did you get for 34 dollars just to boot or the whole hose set up?

#4 posted 03-23-2012 11:24 AM

It was the entire setup. Sorry if you are not supposed to set up direct links to items for sale, but this gives you an idea. This is to” amazon”: http://www.amazon.com/Dust-Collector-Kit-Router-Tables/dp/B0045622RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332501800&sr=8-1--not schilling for woodcraft. :)

#5 posted 03-23-2012 11:40 AM

I think the devise is perfict for my trend table it is a great table one of the best tools in the shop it works a a full size or as a bench top by taking the extensions off the legs this is really a great table it isnt beautiful but it works very well

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#6 posted 04-10-2012 12:53 AM

Ardbeg

Based on your review I researched this collector and liked what I saw. I have a 3.5hp Triton dedicated to the router table. I sent an email to the company to ask if anybody had issues with the Triton, they replied promptly and said no, but if it did not work to send it back for a full refund.

Well I installed it today. I had to remove the plastic dust control housing from the router. The base of the router is thick but the velcro on the top of the cup was able to compensate. I already had a hose connected to the fence and dust port on the router so all I really needed was the cup and matching plate. The hoses provided were too short for me anyhow.

Above table bit changes are fine with the cup installed on my Jessem table.

I chucked a 1/2” straight bit , turned on the DC and ran a chamfer. WOW! NO dust or chips anywhere!

Next I tried a dado, a few small chips came out on the table at the beginning of the cut and everything else was sucked up. Some of the initial chips were sucked back through the freshly cut dado as I pushed it through.

This little gizmo rocks!

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

#7 posted 04-22-2012 04:49 AM

Well guys Keen shipped me one free of charge for us to test the early results are very good we weill see how it hols up but the dust collection of the new unit is amazing so for right now I would have to say that if you have an open table this is a must in my case the whole thing was important to work with the giant router i have mounted way to big for a lift so I have the router razer installed in the router It too works very well and I love it my whole system has yielded a very strong variable speed router with quick above the table changes and now with a great dust collection system thanks for pointing this out my review will be posted in a few weeks as I always use products for 60 days before the reviews are written in case things dont hold up to norman use

#8 posted 04-22-2012 12:39 PM

Glad you guys have found it to work well thus far. I continue to be happy with mine.

Thedude: How did you get them to send you a free one? That is nuts!

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#9 posted 04-23-2012 02:54 AM

Of all the woodworking add-on’s out there, I can’t believe there is not more interest in this product…

I see Dude is planning a review of the product and has already tested it out.

I was planning on building a special dust cabinet under the table which would involve sucking dust down across the router in addition to having to open a door to access the router every time I wanted to do a bit change. With a dedicated Triton under the table there is really no need for a lift or collection box.

This weekend I had to do some modifications on my mini cyclone setup because the router was overwhelming it due to the increased amount of chips going through it. Before, I had a bunch of those chips ending up on the floor and the CV mini had no problems with the 60-75% it was able to pull through the fence and somewhat dis-functional collector shroud around the bit. Now it gets over 98% or better.

Some Pics of my setup below:

#10 posted 04-23-2012 03:31 PM

Ardbeg I have been writing forhttp://thisoldworkshop.com for 16 years we have a good reputation about giving fair and accurate reviews. We also point out bu0gs in products to the MFG that they may not know exist this is because of production errors and we have saved several company’s from having products with major flaws out on the market. It would be pretty difficult for a new woodworker to get them selves established and to build all the contacts we have to get tools sent for review some times they want their tools back sometimes they don’t in this case once you mount it and use it you could not resell it. The cost of a unit like this is not very high and can be had for around 7 dollars at cost not worth shipping and re shipping so i get to keep it also it will show up in our new project videos and they will be credited as a sponsor in the videos so every time i use that router table trend and Keen and mussel-chuck and porter-cable get credit on the video for supplying their tools. when i use a drill press Powermatic gets a free add for it and so on

Thanks for finding this tool for me I do appreciate it. Also I used it for a few hours yesterday now all i need is to get a bunch of dust collection hose to fix the far side of the shop into the central dust collection site. I have it hooked-up to my biggest shop vacuum for now which i don’t like doing I need a lot more hose to get her done.

#11 posted 04-23-2012 03:36 PM

Looks good Tech you help make my point a bigger router with variable speed and soft start is a must in a router table . I believe your router has a built in lift right I had to add the router razor to my beast and am very happy with the results I was able to get with the raizer and while it is a modification i only use this router in the table I have 19 other routers to play with and don’t need to pull this one out at all I am a little spoiled on the tool front I need a new Table saw though.

View Rb12's profile

Rb12

#12 posted 05-27-2012 12:20 PM

Just wanted to through my $0.20 in on this Keen system. Deciding I needed to ad dust collection to my shop for a variety of reasons, I was having a hard time deciding how to address the router table. Found a few reviews on the Keen product and decided for such a small purchase price it was worth a shot.

Anyway, got it setup last week and ran some MDF on it to build some axillary fences and jigs. I am thoroughly satisfied with this product. Running a variety of depths of straight cuts, there was virtually no saw dust on the surface of the router table or floor. When I ran a t-channel cut bit, because of the direction dust ejection, the Keen system did not do as well picking it up, but still caught quite a bit.

I have it hooked up to a shopvac with HEPA filter for DC as a portable system.

Anyway, it was great to not have to vacuum up a ton of sawdust afterward and even happier since it is now part of my overall DC plan