Big results from small purchase

Review by map posted 886 days ago 2148 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Big results from small purchase No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For $4, this was a throw away purchase. I was buying some other items, so why not? Little did I realize that someone had invented a much better mousetrap! This thing works as advertized. It spreads glue evenly and easily and cleans up quickly. I haven’t tried the paddle yet, but I suspect that it works as well. This isn’t a big thing, but it it definitely will replace all but my largest glue spreaders.

-- measure once, cut once, swear, start over

View map's profile

map

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1396 posts in 2090 days

cool! i saw this in their last mailing and thought it looked pretty great.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

Good to know it’s working out well for you. I bought one yesterday (had to add something to my purchase to be able to use a $10 off $50 coupon) and am looking forward to using it!

How did you clean it? Wait until the glue dries and just flake it off?

View redryder's profile

redryder

I’ve had one for about two weeks. I’m not sure I agree with the “easy to clean” part but it is a cool tool and better than foam sticks, fingers etc. The glue stays wet between the rubber nubs and does not dry as fast as on a paint brush so you do have more time to not worry about clean up…...................

-- mike...............

View wee3's profile

wee3

Good to know,thanks for the tip.

-- BiLL @wee3

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

4984 posts in 1934 days

I have something similar to this..a bit larger however…that is used for spreading barbecue sauce. Works great and I never thought of a smaller one for applying glue. I need to order one. I have been using the 1/2’ little brushes with the metal handle from harbor Freight for several years. I bought a pack with about 40 brushes on sale for $1.99 and I clean them in water after each glueup.

View map's profile

map

I just ran it under the water tap and flicked the rubber nubs to get the glue out. Right after using or after ~1/2 hour didn’t seem to make much difference.

-- measure once, cut once, swear, start over

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

I was going to say to look in a Bed Bath and Beyond or the supermarket for these. They are silicone basting brushes – someone got smart and saw a second use.

View Ken Fitzpatrick's profile

Ken Fitzpatrick

Bought 4 in my last order to Rockler. Probably bought 3 to many. Tried one out and was amazed how well it works. As map says, run it under the water and it cleans well. I let it dry for an hour and gave it a squeeze and the dried glue flecked off almost in one piece. The inventor has a gold mine.

-- • "I have noticed that nothing I have never said ever did me any harm."....... Calvin Coolidge

NiteWalker

Thanks for the review. I might grab one of these on my next rockler order. :)

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

I see similar tool in store kitchenware departments as coking oil spreaders/basters, etc… I wonder if they would work as well?

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

NiteWalker

Steve (from MereMortals) mentioned on one of his videos that the same thing is sold at his local dollar store as the cooking utensil you mentioned.

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

Also grabed one. Works well. Been (ab)using it last couple weeks. To be devil’s advocate, the list of minor things:

-the brush is a little large for smaller operations.
-When all the glue dries you flick out the chunks. Most of them. Some are more stubborn, and since the glue wicks up into the brush. The come out. I could put it under water or something I guess :) So far I haven’t after 3 glue sessions, and no surprise chunks have popped out at the wrong time.

some good things:
- the brush shape keeps it off the table when you put it down, and since the glue wicks into it a bit, you can put it on the work bench for a bit when you inevitably run out of hands and appropriate places to put the brush down to get your hand free
- nice hand feel
- don’t have to clean. Really. Can’t mention that enough.
- brush tip is removable

rockler could improve it by selling a pack of brush tips in a couple smaller (and bigger?) sizes.

Like it.

guess that was a mini-review inside a review :)

NiteWalker

The smaller heads would be nice; I do a lot of loose tenon joinery with 1/4” mortices.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

I bought one and have used it for a cpl weeks. I like it alot and save money on all those cheap Harbor Fright brushes that constantly leave hairs in the the glue. Worth every penny!!!!

View Marty Backe's profile

Marty Backe

I guess everyone has been buying these. Mine is a couple of weeks old and I’ve used it a bunch. It works great, although I’ll second what redryder says – that it can take a bit to totally clean the wet glue at the base of the bristles. It’s now my go-to brush, but I’d love a smaller one too.