Big results from small purchase

Review by map posted 03-19-2012 12:21 AM 2239 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Big results from small purchase No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For $4, this was a throw away purchase. I was buying some other items, so why not? Little did I realize that someone had invented a much better mousetrap! This thing works as advertized. It spreads glue evenly and easily and cleans up quickly. I haven’t tried the paddle yet, but I suspect that it works as well. This isn’t a big thing, but it it definitely will replace all but my largest glue spreaders.

-- measure once, cut once, swear, start over

View map's profile

map

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#1 posted 03-19-2012 01:12 AM

cool! i saw this in their last mailing and thought it looked pretty great.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#2 posted 03-19-2012 01:41 AM

Good to know it’s working out well for you. I bought one yesterday (had to add something to my purchase to be able to use a $10 off $50 coupon) and am looking forward to using it!

How did you clean it? Wait until the glue dries and just flake it off?

View redryder's profile

redryder

#3 posted 03-19-2012 05:48 AM

I’ve had one for about two weeks. I’m not sure I agree with the “easy to clean” part but it is a cool tool and better than foam sticks, fingers etc. The glue stays wet between the rubber nubs and does not dry as fast as on a paint brush so you do have more time to not worry about clean up…...................

-- mike...............

View wee3's profile

wee3

#4 posted 03-19-2012 06:23 AM

Good to know,thanks for the tip.

-- BiLL @wee3

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5277 posts in 2061 days

#5 posted 03-19-2012 02:04 PM

I have something similar to this..a bit larger however…that is used for spreading barbecue sauce. Works great and I never thought of a smaller one for applying glue. I need to order one. I have been using the 1/2’ little brushes with the metal handle from harbor Freight for several years. I bought a pack with about 40 brushes on sale for $1.99 and I clean them in water after each glueup.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpiece… because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View map's profile

map

#6 posted 03-19-2012 09:32 PM

I just ran it under the water tap and flicked the rubber nubs to get the glue out. Right after using or after ~1/2 hour didn’t seem to make much difference.

-- measure once, cut once, swear, start over

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#7 posted 03-19-2012 11:22 PM

I was going to say to look in a Bed Bath and Beyond or the supermarket for these. They are silicone basting brushes – someone got smart and saw a second use.

View Ken Fitzpatrick's profile

Ken Fitzpatrick

#8 posted 03-20-2012 02:27 AM

Bought 4 in my last order to Rockler. Probably bought 3 to many. Tried one out and was amazed how well it works. As map says, run it under the water and it cleans well. I let it dry for an hour and gave it a squeeze and the dried glue flecked off almost in one piece. The inventor has a gold mine.

-- • "I have noticed that nothing I have never said ever did me any harm."....... Calvin Coolidge

#9 posted 03-20-2012 03:56 AM

Thanks for the review. I might grab one of these on my next rockler order. :)

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#10 posted 03-20-2012 02:00 PM

I see similar tool in store kitchenware departments as coking oil spreaders/basters, etc… I wonder if they would work as well?

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#11 posted 03-20-2012 04:19 PM

Steve (from MereMortals) mentioned on one of his videos that the same thing is sold at his local dollar store as the cooking utensil you mentioned.

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

#12 posted 03-20-2012 09:55 PM

Also grabed one. Works well. Been (ab)using it last couple weeks. To be devil’s advocate, the list of minor things:

-the brush is a little large for smaller operations.
-When all the glue dries you flick out the chunks. Most of them. Some are more stubborn, and since the glue wicks up into the brush. The come out. I could put it under water or something I guess :) So far I haven’t after 3 glue sessions, and no surprise chunks have popped out at the wrong time.

some good things:
- the brush shape keeps it off the table when you put it down, and since the glue wicks into it a bit, you can put it on the work bench for a bit when you inevitably run out of hands and appropriate places to put the brush down to get your hand free
- nice hand feel
- don’t have to clean. Really. Can’t mention that enough.
- brush tip is removable

rockler could improve it by selling a pack of brush tips in a couple smaller (and bigger?) sizes.

Like it.

guess that was a mini-review inside a review :)

#13 posted 03-21-2012 04:49 AM

The smaller heads would be nice; I do a lot of loose tenon joinery with 1/4” mortices.

15337 posts in 1942 days

#14 posted 03-21-2012 05:34 PM

I bought one and have used it for a cpl weeks. I like it alot and save money on all those cheap Harbor Fright brushes that constantly leave hairs in the the glue. Worth every penny!!!!

View Marty Backe's profile

Marty Backe

#15 posted 03-22-2012 08:06 AM

I guess everyone has been buying these. Mine is a couple of weeks old and I’ve used it a bunch. It works great, although I’ll second what redryder says – that it can take a bit to totally clean the wet glue at the base of the bristles. It’s now my go-to brush, but I’d love a smaller one too.