Bosch 1617EVSPK router kit

Review by jpatte posted 884 days ago 4570 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch 1617EVSPK router kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this kit about 6 months ago and I love it. This router does everything that I expect it to do. The motor is strong enough for the tasks I ask of it. I have yet to try a panel raising bit in it but I don’t see it having trouble spinning such a large bit. Both the fixed and plunge base are very well built and the plunge action on the plunge base is smooth. Adjusting bit depth is easy and these adjustments are held tight with a good locking mechanism. In my shop the fixed base is always mounted into the router table I built and the plunge base is used for any other routing tasks. I really like the fact that the kit comes with both a 1/4” and 1/2” collet. The carrying case is very nice with plenty of room for both bases, bits and extra parts. The only downside I can find with this kit is the fact that you only get one motor. This isn’t a big deal though and I have no trouble swapping the motor between bases as needed.

-- Jason- superior twp, MI

View jpatte's profile

jpatte

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

I have this same kit and LOVE it. You can always get an extra base to install in the table, freeing up your fixed base for edge work or whatever. They’re about $50 though, which I’d probably put toward another router altogether.

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

I have the Craftsman version of this kit. It is a really nice package. Bought it used but New In Box for $100 last year. It has handled every job I have thrown at it.

I did buy a nice clear universal base from MCLS, to ensure the Craftsman version could handle my PC style bushing kit.

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

This was my first router, got a good deal on it after seeing a good number of good reviews on it. I can’t disagree, it works pretty well.

The only major inconvenience is it uses it’s own proprietary bushing attachment system for temple guide bushings. I kept reading bad things about them, so got a new clear plastic plate for the bottom that accepts the standard Porter Cable style of bushing guides, same as bullethead.

The soft start is nice, but also means it’s incompatible with a remote speed control for when you mount it on a table.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

To me, the bushing issue is overblown. You can get an adapter for like $10 to accept PC-style bushings.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1936 days

I find it to be a good router. I got the under table mount to leave in my router table. I have only used my fixed base, so haven’t ever tried the plunge mount.

Agreed on the overblown bushing issue. Bought a plate for the fixed base that would take my PC dovetail bushings.

View mikema's profile

mikema

If you are looking for an extra fixed base, check out ebay. I have bought a couple extra ones over the years that I have had this router, and was able to get them fairly inexpensively.

+1 On putting a plate on a base for the PC style bushings. I am using the clear base that woodcraft sells, and their brass bushing set. Works great.

To the OP, I have ran a panel raising bit on this router a few times, and it does work well. Since this is not a 3HP router, you will need to take an extra pass or 2 more.

I do agree, it is a great router, and I ended up buying a second kit so that I could dedicate one to the router table, and get a couple extra bases.

-- Mike ---- Visit my woodworking blog: http://sawdustnewbie.com

View HalDougherty's profile

HalDougherty

I’ve got two of the Craftsman pro models like this one. I have a gunstock duplicator and I run the router for hours at a time. I’ve had one Craftsman router bearing failure. I have a 3 year warranty, and they replace the router if it’s defective, but after a year you have to send in the router before they send a replacement. So, I bought another one to use till the replacement was back. Now I’ve got a backup in case something else breaks. Before the Craftsman I had Milwaukee and DeWalt routers and the Craftsman has lasted as long and worked as hard as any and they are a lot cheaper. At the time I bought mine, they were $129 and I’d buy another one if these broke, but the model I have isn’t sold any longer. Oh, and the Craftsman base has an opening to take the PC style bushings.

-- Hal, Tennessee http://www.first285.com

View Domer's profile

Domer

244 posts in 1990 days

I have had several of this router. One gave out after only 20 years, bummer. But I bought a replacement for it. I have not had any trouble with this router. I have one in my router table and one for other uses. Like it a lot.

I have the adapter for the porter cable bushings. No problems with it either.

Domer

View jpatte's profile

jpatte

Thanks for the advice on the bushings, I’ll look into it.

-- Jason- superior twp, MI