Earlex 5500 great for hobbyist or semi-pro

Review by Kevin_S posted 766 days ago 3405 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Earlex 5500 great for hobbyist or semi-pro No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I definitely recommend the Earlex 5500. It’s a great sprayer. So far, I’ve used it to spray both shellac and polyurethane and it did a good job on both. I bought it so I could spray shellac on my latest project, but it was so easy to use that I also sprayed my polyurethane top coat with it. Cleanup is really easy, especially with the Teflon lined cup. One of my favorite features is the secure storage for the gun on the unit. I don’t have to look around for a good place to set the gun and I know it won’t fall over. The on-board hose storage works fairly well (you have to disassemble the hose from the unit), but the cord storage could be better.

Performance wise, I love the minimal amount of overspray. This may be a common feature of HVLP systems (I haven’t used others), but it’s a huge difference from the high pressure unit I’ve been using. Reducing overspray was one of the biggest reasons I bought the Earlex. I’m a hobbyist with a garage shop and I have to open the doors and use fans to ventilate. In cold weather with my old high pressure sprayer and clouds of overspray, I needed to move so much air that the temperature would drop too far. With the Earlex, I can ventilate and still keep the shop at a decent temperature.

I wore ear protection when I used the Earlex, but the sound level is not objectionable. The compressor I use with my old high pressure sprayer is louder than the Earlex (as is my shop vac, router, planer, etc.)

I look forward to using the Earlex on many more projects and will probably turn to it more often than I expected given how well it worked. If you’re a serious hobbyist or semi-pro I think the Earlex 5500 is an option worth considering.

View Kevin_S's profile

Kevin_S

109540 posts in 2083 days

Thanks for the Review Kevin I have the lowest price Earlex(it was $99) and I was very surprised how well it sprays .

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

This is one of my future buys for sure!

-- Mike

View jordanusmc's profile

jordanusmc

Thanks for the review I have been thinking about picking one up after the woodwhisper did a quick review on it.

Love Love Love this machine. Make it look like I’m a good finisher! Ha fooled them.

Nice review~

View stefang's profile

stefang

I wish you guys wouldn’t talk about the Earlex sprayer. I really want one of these, but they are not sold here in Norway, plus we have 220V DC here, so I can’t even import one. EVERYONE seems to like it. I haven’t heard one negative review yet.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View cagenuts's profile

cagenuts

Mike, it’s available in the UK.

See this link.

-- Weekend Wood Wrecker

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

Mike, could you use a step-down transformer with a 220V primary and a 110V secondary?

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri