Hal Taylor Instructional Rocking Chair DVD and Plans Rock!

Review by mbs posted 848 days ago 3816 views 4 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hal Taylor Instructional Rocking Chair DVD and Plans Rock! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was surprised not to find a review of Hal Taylors instructional material. Every thread I’ve read about Hal compliments his work. I couldn’t copy a a picture of his DVD cover so I used a picture of my rocker.

As a first time rocking chair builder I put my ego aside and searched for plans to build the chiar. There are several builders who supply plans. I chose Hal’s because of the positive feedback given by others. I’m very happy I selected hal’s plans because I benefited from his learning curve and I learned a lot about safety and woodworking techniques.

Hal’s DVD’s are very detailed. There is approximately 12 hours of DVD’s and I think they are reasonably priced. He provides the reason and technique on each step of the project. Nothing was skipped.

His plans are an additional cost. There is more detail in the plans than on the DVD and the plans have been updated since the DVD was released. It has over 250 pages with a lot of pictures (147 MB).

I also used most of his recommended products like Tenryu table saw blades, Whiteside router bits, Abralon, Indasa sand paper and diamond bandsaw blades. I like all of them.

And did I mention he makes himself available to answer your questions? Heck, I can’t get my phone company to answer my questions. He is very down to earth and pleasant to talk with. I’d like to meet him some day.

I was definetly over my head on this project. If I hadn’t used Hal’s material I’m afraid my scrap bin would be full.

Hal’s website is a little difficult to navigate through. Here is a link to the DVD’s

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View mbs's profile

mbs

View bigkev's profile

bigkev

I’m with mbs. You won’t find better instructions on building one of these chairs.

-- Kevin, South Carolina

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

Thanks for posting

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

Agreed, nice review too.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

Great review and website. Thinking I will order this soon! Nice post.

Congrats on your chair its beautiful!

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

199 posts in 1943 days

This is a project I’ve always wanted to do.When I find the time I will be ordering the DVDs for sure.Seems very reasonably priced.How long did your first chair take?

View mbs's profile

mbs

My first chair took me 4 months of weekends.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View yellowtruck75's profile

yellowtruck75

Best investment I have made in Woodworking so far. Using Hal’s plans I have built 12 chairs ranging from child size to the large size.

View LiamD's profile

LiamD

I completely agree with mbs. I consider myself a novice woodworker and Hal’s plans pared with the DVD have made the project of building a beautiful rocking chair much less intimidating.

View RonU's profile

RonU

I went with Charles Brock’s plans only because that is the one I knew about at the time. Truth be known we should purchase both. The video is worth the price but still questions occur, perhaps both would answer the questions.