For a cheap box store hand saw I was very surprised at how well it cut

Review by Dan posted 03-14-2012 07:12 PM 3320 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
For a cheap box store hand saw I was very surprised at how well it cut No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently picked up a truck full of reclaimed barn wood that needed to be cleaned up and planed. I had a lot of thick boards and some long 10ft boards that were just to big or long to cut comfortably with my RAS. I figured it would be quickest and easiest to cut them with a handsaw. I was using one of my vintage Disston handsaws to do this until I hit a nail which really messed up my saw. Not wanting to risk damaging another one of my vintage saws I decided to just buy one of those new cheap “Sharp Tooth” saws.

I got the Kobalt saw because I went to Lowels and thats the brand Lowels sells. I paid less then 12 dollars for the saw. I was very surprised at how fast this saw cut. I was able to quickly saw through a lot of thick barn beams and 2x material. After cutting a lot of the boards with this saw the teeth are still very sharp and it is still cutting just as fast.

Its not a premium saw but its proven to me that its very handy to have one of these cheaper saws in my shop.

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View Dan's profile

Dan

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#1 posted 03-14-2012 07:17 PM

And when the saw gets dull, you can use the saw plate for scrapers! :-) No need to resharpen a 10-dollar saw, and many of the cheaper saws I’ve seen would be difficult to resharpen.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View Dan's profile

Dan

#2 posted 03-14-2012 07:31 PM

Ya I don’t think you really can resharpen this style of saw. It would be very tough to do. Like you said, cheap enough to just buy another one if you need to.

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

#3 posted 03-14-2012 07:58 PM

Not to mention its nice to have a saw like this around when you need to cut up that pallet that you THINK you have removed all the nails from.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#4 posted 03-14-2012 07:59 PM

I used this very saw to cut up some barn wood a couple of days ago. I’ve got a dozen or so box store handsaws that I bought for some silly job and held on to. This one did do pretty well for the $20 or less I paid.

Edit: if I catch one of you rehandling one, you’re going to hear about it from me:)

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#5 posted 03-14-2012 08:17 PM

I have been getting good general type use from inexpensive Stanley “Sharp Tooth” saws and both and Ace and Kobalt back saws. However, none of them are useful for precision work such as dovetails and tennons.

At the last “Popular Woodworking” conference in Covington KY I purchased a hybrid backsaw made by Bad Axe Saw in Wisconsin. Delivery took five months, but this is an incredible saw.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Roger's profile

#6 posted 03-15-2012 12:37 PM

thnx for the review. sounds like a decent saw with a decent price

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View murch's profile

murch

#7 posted 03-17-2012 12:19 PM

8iowa – I’ve had one of those Stanley’s for years and she’s still rippin along. Great value for money
but as you say, not great for precision.

Bertha – thanks for the laugh. You should send one to Brit

Good review Dan

-- A family man has photos in his wallet where his money used to be.