The Shelf Pin Jig From Kreg Tool.

Review by SCABrown posted 03-13-2012 08:09 PM 4417 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Shelf Pin Jig From Kreg Tool. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Today I will be reviewing the Shelf Pin Jig from the folks at Kreg Tool Company. The Jig retails for $34.99 at Woodcraft. I also picked up the optional 5mm drill bit it is retailing for $7.99.

So whats in the box? The kit includes; the jig of course, a locating pin, the jig extender, a 1/4” drill bit and depth collar, an allen wrench for the depth collar, the instruction manual, and mine had a bag with 3-1/4” shelf pins in it. There is really not any assembly required for the jig. The fence simply slides on the jig.(Unless you are using the jig to put some shelf pins in a cabinet with the face frame already installed.) Setting the drill bit depth is pretty straight forward, like in the other jigs made by Kreg. You simply place the bit and depth collar in the storage area in the back of the jig and tighten down the depth collar with the supplied allen wrench.

The jig has two positions in which it can be used with the fence attached. 1” from the referencing edge of the project or 2” from the referencing edge of the project. To maintain consistent spacing off of the bottom or top of the project Kreg recommends that you make a story stick to hold the jig off of the top or bottom. I would have to say that that would be the fastest way to keep consistent spacing. After you decide how far away you want the holes from the edge and how wide your story stick is, you just simply clamp the jig down. Kreg recommends their Face Clamp but a QuickGrip or a similar clamp would do just fine.

The bit does a pretty good job of making a clean hole with minimal tear out, but some sanding will be required.

After you drill the first set of 6 holes you will insert the locating pen in the last hole of the jig and insert the pin with the jig attached in to the last hole you drilled.

Then you will drill the next 5 holes, just repeating the placing of the jig and pin until you have drilled all of the shelf pin holes you want or need for your project. For me to test the jig out I drilled a row with the 1” spacing then drilled a row with the 2” setting.

Changing the fence from side to side was quick and easy. However I did notice some free play in the fence, it slides about 1/16” vertically on the jig. It doesn’t mess with the accuracy of the jig, but it does concern me a bit.

The ability to remove the fence completely is great for when you need to add some holes in cabinets and bookcases with face frames already attached.

I though only having the ability to drill 5 or 6 holes at a time would be problem for me, but with the locating pen and a Kreg Face Clamp the process of moving the jig was fast and easy. Both the 1/4” and 5mm pins fit snugly in their holes.

The built in storage for the bits and locating pen in the back of the jig is a great and handy addition. I would have liked to have seen a space for the allen wrench, but that’s not a huge deal.

I must admit coming into this review I was a bit sceptical of this jig. However this little jig has impressed me with both its design and function. With Kreg Tool’s reputation and their lifetime drill guide warranty, I’m sure this jig has found a place in my shop and will last for years to come.

-- Aaron

View SCABrown's profile

SCABrown

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

#1 posted 03-13-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks for the review Aaron! I’ve been using my home-made jig for years, but this little gem is something worth considering, as I’m getting ready to build four full-size bookcases for a church library. Including photos with your review is a very strong selling point. Thanks for including them!

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#2 posted 03-13-2012 10:14 PM

Great review, thanks for posting!

I’ve been using the rockler jig I got on sale for $20 a few years back. It does the job just fine but for smaller cabinets after assembly I can see the kreg having an advantage.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#3 posted 03-14-2012 05:07 AM

to me the big advantage the kreg has over the jigit it is ther jigit was made of plexiglas and cracked too easy this jig is tougher and will hold up like all my kreeg jigs i would have given this 5 stars but its your reviewe not mine

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View willy66's profile

willy66

#4 posted 03-14-2012 11:25 AM

Thanks for the Review….Ordered mine online, and is due to come in today for delivery. Seemed like the best bang for the buck and Kreg has good quality jigs. What I liked most about it, was that it can be used once the face frames are installed.

-- -Willy, White Plains, NY

View Blackie_'s profile

Blackie_

#5 posted 03-14-2012 12:19 PM

Nice interview, I like my peg board method best though, much faster from what I’ve read here in this interview.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs

View John's profile

John

#6 posted 03-16-2012 01:52 PM

thanks for the review! that lack of onboard storage space for the allen wrench perplexed me as well – strange for Kreg to overlook something like that.

mine came with the wrong size depth stop for the drill bit – Kreg customer service was EXCELLENT and sent me a new one right away (which came bundled with another locator pin, nice to have a spare)

just as in your pics, the tearout was more than expected, but still think this is a good jig for the money

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1914 days

#7 posted 03-16-2012 02:09 PM

Aaron;

Excellent review. I received mine three weeks ago an immediately put it to use drill shelf pin holes for shop storage cabinets I am building. As you noted it comes with a 1/4” bit. Drilled my holes with absolutely no problems but, when I went to my hardware drawer I realized that the two packages of 25 shelf pins I had purchased some time ago were 5mm. Solution? Easy! Do what any good woodworker would do. Got on Amazon and ordered two packages of 1/4” pins and a Kreg 5mm bit. Now I am covered.

Good luck.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View pmcwood's profile

pmcwood

#8 posted 06-21-2012 04:41 AM

Thanks for an excellent review, if you are interested in Kreg Tool and Kreg Jigs we offer a Kreg Shelf Pin Jig with 5mm bit as a package

-- PMC Router Bits, http://www.pmcrouterbits.com - Hammond, Louisiana

View grub32's profile

grub32

#9 posted 08-01-2012 01:40 AM

I bought one and was able to drill three large cabinets in less than 10 mins. Best tool i have ever used for this.

Grub

-- Science Teacher by Day, Wood Butcher by Night!!

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#10 posted 10-04-2012 01:47 PM

So after revisiting things a bit, and based on the typically small cabinets I build, as well as the fact that amazon has it for $27, I jumped on the kreg shelf pin jig. Thanks again for the review! :)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.