Rockler's remarkable red rubber sanding block

Review by DHS posted 899 days ago 2401 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler's remarkable red rubber sanding block Rockler's remarkable red rubber sanding block No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a sanding block for the first time yesterday. I had taken my mother to lunch on Sunday afternoon and then to reward myself for this good deed I visited the local Rockler Woodworking store and browsed the discount racks. I bought some sanding disks, a quart of Titebond III, some space balls, and then just for the heck of it, I purchased a rubber sanding block for $3.99. What a wonderful device. I don’t know why I’ve never used one before. Perhaps it was my abrasive high-school shop teacher or just a mental block. Regardless, the Rockler rubber sanding block (found here http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16370&site=ROCKLER) has taken my finishing to a new level of silkiness.

There are at least four reasons to purchase this remarkable tool.

The firm yet pliable block produces a flat surface when sanding. I performed some experiments by sanding a shellacked surface which showed clearly which parts had been sanded most aggressively. To get the pliable sanding block to produce a flat surface, cover the block with the palm of your hand and apply pressure to the center of the block (see photo).

Spikes hold a quarter sheet of sand paper securely and it saves paper compared to a wooden block.

Ergonomic design fits the hand nicely.

The red rubber does not mar the workpiece.

Now, I still dislike sanding. But with the Rockler rubber sanding block, my finishing is going more smoothly than ever. And, at $3.99, you can buy one for every grit size.

-- Dave S., Bellingham, WA

View DHS's profile

DHS

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

I used those for quite a while before I bought a couple of preppin weapons.
Expensive, but I haven’t looked back.

The rubber blocks do the job though.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View GregD's profile

GregD

+1 on the Preppin Weapon sanding block. Much less sand paper waste.

-- Greg D.

View Builder_Bob's profile

Builder_Bob

Had one of those 50 years ago! A great thing to have around.

-- "The unexpected, when it happens, generally happens when you least expect it."

View Murdock's profile

Murdock

My father has had several of those for years but never knew where to get them, I always like using it, I have one of those cheap ones from the borg and hate it.

-- "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

I just bought a pair. I’m excited to try them out, since hand sanding is a pain and anything that can improve the process is well worth it.

-- Allen, Colorado

View JohnLee's profile

JohnLee

I agree about the Preppin Weapon. I wish they were cheaper, and I would have more than one.

-- John, Omaha