Rockler's remarkable red rubber sanding block

Review by DHS posted 03-13-2012 06:37 AM 2588 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler's remarkable red rubber sanding block Rockler's remarkable red rubber sanding block No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a sanding block for the first time yesterday. I had taken my mother to lunch on Sunday afternoon and then to reward myself for this good deed I visited the local Rockler Woodworking store and browsed the discount racks. I bought some sanding disks, a quart of Titebond III, some space balls, and then just for the heck of it, I purchased a rubber sanding block for $3.99. What a wonderful device. I don’t know why I’ve never used one before. Perhaps it was my abrasive high-school shop teacher or just a mental block. Regardless, the Rockler rubber sanding block (found here http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16370&site=ROCKLER) has taken my finishing to a new level of silkiness.

There are at least four reasons to purchase this remarkable tool.

The firm yet pliable block produces a flat surface when sanding. I performed some experiments by sanding a shellacked surface which showed clearly which parts had been sanded most aggressively. To get the pliable sanding block to produce a flat surface, cover the block with the palm of your hand and apply pressure to the center of the block (see photo).

Spikes hold a quarter sheet of sand paper securely and it saves paper compared to a wooden block.

Ergonomic design fits the hand nicely.

The red rubber does not mar the workpiece.

Now, I still dislike sanding. But with the Rockler rubber sanding block, my finishing is going more smoothly than ever. And, at $3.99, you can buy one for every grit size.

-- Dave S., Bellingham, WA

View DHS's profile

DHS

111 posts in 1968 days

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 03-13-2012 08:00 AM

I used those for quite a while before I bought a couple of preppin weapons.
Expensive, but I haven’t looked back.

The rubber blocks do the job though.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View GregD's profile

GregD

#2 posted 03-13-2012 02:14 PM

+1 on the Preppin Weapon sanding block. Much less sand paper waste.

-- Greg D.

View Builder_Bob's profile

Builder_Bob

#3 posted 03-13-2012 04:41 PM

Had one of those 50 years ago! A great thing to have around.

-- "The unexpected, when it happens, generally happens when you least expect it."

View Murdock's profile

Murdock

#4 posted 03-13-2012 05:00 PM

My father has had several of those for years but never knew where to get them, I always like using it, I have one of those cheap ones from the borg and hate it.

-- "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1439 posts in 1928 days

#5 posted 03-14-2012 01:27 AM

I just bought a pair. I’m excited to try them out, since hand sanding is a pain and anything that can improve the process is well worth it.

-- Allen, Colorado

View JohnLee's profile

JohnLee

#6 posted 03-15-2012 02:47 AM

I agree about the Preppin Weapon. I wish they were cheaper, and I would have more than one.

-- John, Omaha