G0548Z - 2HP Canister Dust Collector

Review by Mainiac Matt posted 03-12-2012 02:58 PM 7327 views 3 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0548Z - 2HP Canister Dust Collector G0548Z - 2HP Canister Dust Collector No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Background...
I’ve been reading up on and conspiring to get DC into a working shop for what seems like ages. And though I’ve always wanted to set up a two stage cyclone system, when it came right down to it, I didn’t have the space or the money. So turning my sights to single stage units, I flagged the G0548Z as my pick. Fast forward to January, when I found that the price had gone up in the 2012 catalog, but that the holiday sale of $375 was still good for a few more days….. it was now or never!

Review...

I. Packaging
I almost refused the unit upon delivery as the box was badly damaged. If your box is gashed or ripped, you need to inspect b4 you sign. I snapped a few pics and then opened the box and inspected and there was no apparent damage so I signed the BOL.

II. Set up

You will have to supply your own 220 v single phase plug (I read the manuel online b4 purchasing, so I knew this) and that’s going to run you ~ $10 at a hardware store.

All the required hardware was present and the instructions in the manual were good. I was slow and meticulous… re-read the manual completely and then set up the DC in about 1.5 hours.

This motor can not be wired for 120 v ac (it pulls 12 amps at 220 v) so if you can’t/don’t want to wire up a 220 v circuit, it’s not the DC for you.

III. Operation

I know it’s cliche’, but a I have to say it…. “this baby sucks!” and I mean really sucks. Though this is the first DC I’ve personally owned, I have dealt with our large commercial systems at work, and this Grizzly pulls just as hard (if not harder) at the end of a ten foot long 4” flex hose, than any of our big systems pull at a given machine port.

As far as my senses can tell (looking for dust floating in the sunlight, smell, allergic reaction…. I’m somewhat sensitive to dust in general) the canister is catching the fine stuff and not just spewing it back into the shop.

I’ve had the unit set up for a month now and just dumped my first bag. I can see that much more debri gets built up in the filter pleats when the bag gets over 1/2 full, so I’ll be emptying it sooner in the future.

The DC continues to run strong and has not developed any vibration.

IV. Comparisons / Final Observations.

I’ve eyed the comprable Jet model at Woodcraft and it’s pretty obvious that the Grizzly is quite a bit more robustly constructed. The housing for the blower is fabricated of thicker sheet metal. I have never put my hands on the comprably sized Harbor Freight model, so I can’t comment on that one.

The G0548Z has a formed sheet metal discharge chute to the filter ring, where many others have a flex tube. The smooth walled large sweep radius of this metal chute presents less resistance to air flow. But more importantly to me, the discharge side is (IMO) not the place for flex hose. I’ve used a large leaf vac blower (the type used to fill trucks) that had very thick and rugged flex on the discharge side, and after a long day of shooting leaves and acorns through it, the 8” flex hose was perforated and torn.

This DC is LOUD!

I have one gripe about this DC, and that is the position of the motor starter switch. Come on Grizzly. Should I really need to bend over and touch my toes every time I start or stop the DC? I’ll either be remote wiring this switch, or setting up a wireless starter in the near future.

For my shop and budget, the G0548Z has proven to be a great addition. And I think it’s also a great platform for building a 2 stage system as well.

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

253 posts in 1994 days

#1 posted 03-12-2012 06:06 PM

Good Review.

As you said, the addition of a 2nd stage separator is in the plan. I’ve got the HF unit, with a thein separator, and have had great results. Only add on is a see through strip in the 2nd stage, to avoid over filling it. Look up Phil Thein at http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm, and you will find lots of good experiences.

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

#2 posted 03-12-2012 07:56 PM

I have no doubt that the Thein seperators work and work well.

One thing that isn’t discussed often is the loss of air velocity and cfm due to increased resistance in the system, and adding all the bends and twists for a trash can seperator of any sort seems like adding quite the labyrinth to me.

I’m pretty sure that’s why the same motor driving the same blower with the same cartridge filter in a cyclone will result in a lower published cfm than in a single stage.

A clear view or even a shop built cyclone, would surely have less losses, but then you really need some headroom to get the blower up on top of your cyclone. Since I’m in the basement, my headroom is pretty sparce at only ~ 7’ 6” or so.

Thinking… thinking…. thinking… The solution hasn’t come to me thet

View stevenmadden's profile

stevenmadden

#3 posted 03-12-2012 08:55 PM

ssnvet: I have the Jet DC1100 (or 1200, can’t remember off the top of my head). Anyway, the following links helped me to come up with a great way of keeping the dust out of my top filter. The first link is the one that looks the most like mine, and it works as advertised.

Good luck.

Steven

#4 posted 03-13-2012 12:01 AM

Weird place to have the switch.

I looked at the Harbor Freight dust collector and was not impressed. So I bought the Grizzly G0583Z.
If I did it again I would get the 2HP or 3HP.

#5 posted 03-13-2012 12:32 AM

Thanks for the links Steve….

I didn’t know guys were installing Thien style baffles into single stage DCs…

That looks like a very easy mod.

I’m wondering it it would work even better with a pipe going up through a top plate….

Thinking…. thinking….

#6 posted 03-13-2012 12:58 AM

How many machines are you connecting to the Dust Collector?

View gfadvm's profile

#7 posted 03-13-2012 01:35 AM

ssnvet, Check out the ShopNotes separator I posted recently. I continue to be amazed at how well it works. I can’t perceive any loss of flow and in fact my planer has quit clogging the 4” lines (can’t explain why though). And I think it is the quickest/cheapest shop made separator to build.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#8 posted 03-13-2012 04:34 AM

gfadvm

How many machines do you have are connected to the dc with separator?

View brtech's profile

brtech

#9 posted 03-13-2012 02:35 PM

Steven H

There is always the same answer to this question: one at a time.

If you really want to know how many machines are piped to a DC, that of course varies. These DCs usually can handle a 25 – 35’ main line, and 4-8 drops, if you design it carefully and have blast gates at the right places. Lots of folks just have 10 or 20’ of flex and move it from machine to machine.

If you plumb it, then you want to use wyes, not Ts, and wide sweep elbows or two 45s and a short piece of straight pipe. It would be nice to use 5” on the main line, but that tends to be expensive and hard to find. A 2 HP DC probably doesn’t have enough CFM to support a 6” main, but a bigger one would. 4” drops are usually okay. S & D PVC pipe is the usual method, or 26 gauge sheet metal.

#10 posted 03-13-2012 05:39 PM

I have three sections of 4” flex hose coming off of the factory supplied three way ‘Y’.

#1 runs ~ 10’ and picks up the SCMS and has a blast gate

#2 runs ~ 4’ and picks up the TS and has a blast gate

#3 runs ~12’ and picks up both the planer and the jointer. I have a 4” ‘Y’ off of this line as well, this is isolated by a blast gate and goes to a mini-gulp style plenum for my work bench.

I have spent half a day planing and jointing up rough cut oak and have not managed to plug the hose.

I’ve found that the system seems to work best when two of the three 4” lines are open, so I keep the line to the planer jointer open all the time and cycle blast gates to the other machines as needed.

View gfadvm's profile

#11 posted 03-14-2012 12:32 AM

I have 20’ of 4” and connect it to one machine at a time via 2 1/2”x 7’ corrugated hose.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View KMT's profile

KMT

#12 posted 03-16-2012 03:55 AM

I have the same unit and I moved the switch up and mounted it where the dust chute goes into the unit. I have had mine for about 15 months and have had no problems. Works good I have it hooked to my Tablesaw, jointer, and canswitch another line to router table, planer or floor sweep. Would like to add a cyclone seperator in the future.
Martin

-- - Martin

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

#13 posted 03-17-2012 01:25 AM

I got the same one for the prototype shop for my engineering classes. I can’t wait to move in to the new school this summer and set it up. I have it assembled and running and so far it has done it’s job.

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

#14 posted 08-28-2012 03:13 AM

ssnvet, nice review!!

I’ve been reading a ton about dust collectors, Thien Baffles, Wynn filters, etc. I’m in the market for my first dust collector and was considering a Harbor Freight on sale or with a coupon and then modifying it. After discovering Grizzly tools I really like this G0548Z unit. I wonder how the Grizzly pleated filter compares to the Wynn pleated filters in terms of filtration and surface area. Anyone know this? Or have experience with each?

#15 posted 08-29-2012 02:20 AM

The grizzly specs are in their catalog….

You can also download the manual as a .PDF on their web site