Wow, wish I would have bought one sooner.

Review by Chris posted 03-12-2012 01:41 AM 2624 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wow,  wish I would have bought one sooner. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally broke down and purchased a drum sander while Jet was having a 15% off sale. After reading the reviews here and elsewhere I decided to go with the 16-32. I had zero issues with tracking on the belt and leveling the drum was pretty straight forward. I spent about 2 hours setting it up and testing it out. I added a set of locking casters to make it mobile.

I usually spend a couple of hours leveling a glue up by hand when making cutting boards. This sander has saved me around 8hrs of work in the last week and a half. For me that is well worth the price of admission…..

I have not yet changed the paper so have not had to fuss with that aspect yet.

View patron's profile

patron

13059 posts in 2006 days

#1 posted 03-12-2012 01:54 AM

that’s great chris

easy does it on the bite each pass
that way you won’t stress or burn the paper

and as the machine is doing
all the work anyway

i do flip over from time to time
to help get true flat

if the wood has checks or kots
once i find a face i like
i don’t sand it any more
just the other
so i don’t uncover any flaws buried inside

#2 posted 03-12-2012 02:15 AM

Thanks for the pointers David… I really appreciate it.

View Tommy's profile

Tommy

#3 posted 03-12-2012 02:32 AM

Keep us posted after a few cutting boards, I have been drooling over this one or one similar to it and have not pulled the trigger. It’s big money for a tool that does such a specific job but I can not help wanting one! Update when you can, good tool.

-- Tommy, ---- It's Never Crowded On the Extra Mile.

View doordude's profile

doordude

#4 posted 03-12-2012 05:12 AM

nice tool. i have to find a project,and then think up a good story to convince the wife; as if it is her idea.
yeah, i’ll be thinking on this awhile.

View redryder's profile

redryder

#5 posted 03-12-2012 07:26 AM

You mention the “price of admission”. What was that….............

-- mike...............

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2572 posts in 2098 days

#6 posted 03-12-2012 11:09 AM

I have had one of these for over a year. It is one of the best tools I own. Down the road, you may want to put hook and loop paper on this machine. I have the stuff to do it (Grizzly makes a kit) and Dustbunny and I will be attaching it to the drum in a few weeks. Changing the paper on this one is far superior to the 10-20. You have a winner there.
Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Howie's profile

Howie

#7 posted 03-12-2012 11:52 AM

I bought my 16/32 over a year ago and use it almost every day. Great piece of equipment. I do think I’ll follow Ellen35 advice and change to H&L for the paper. Enjoy

-- Life is good.

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

#8 posted 03-12-2012 02:06 PM

I have had one of these for several years and I sometimes wonder how I got along without it! The newer ones have the Smart feature which automatically adjusts the conveyor speed to help minimize overloading the motor.

My only complaint is the terrible access to the motor side belt clip when changing belts. They could easily have added an inch or so more space on that side to provide access to that clip.

That said, it is a wonderful tool.

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#9 posted 03-12-2012 02:15 PM

I think my first abrasive change took me all of about 90 seconds.

I love my 16/32. Best of luck with yours.

-- -- Neil

View BilltheDiver's profile

BilltheDiver

#10 posted 03-12-2012 02:34 PM

I have an old ryobi 16X32 a friend gave me a deal on. It’s impossible to explain how often it comes in handy. I had problems with the clamps, so I bought the hook & loop psa backed material and the complementary paper. Now it’s simple to do the belt changes when needed.

-- "Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

#11 posted 03-12-2012 05:07 PM

RedRyder - Sorry, I don't usually discuss any type of $'s if I can help it. The sander was 15% of current list Woodcraft during the Jet sale

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

#12 posted 03-12-2012 06:30 PM

Any problems with tracking? I would really like one of thees and the only thing steering me away is I have read several people talking about tracking issues with this machine.Nice review!

View Howie's profile

Howie

#13 posted 03-12-2012 07:51 PM

Mine was dead on out of the box. Haven’t touched it since.

-- Life is good.

#14 posted 03-12-2012 08:45 PM

The tracking required zero adjustments; it was perfect out of the box.

#15 posted 03-12-2012 10:27 PM

Congrats on the drum sander, I can see why it would save a lot of time

-- Norman