Makitta LXFDO1CW best in class

Review by Chipy posted 03-11-2012 05:42 PM 2402 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makitta LXFDO1CW best in class No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After putting up with Ni-cad battery’s for the last 20 years it is a pleasure to finally own an 18 volt Lithium Ion drill/ driver. I chose the Makita LXFDO1Cw on Wood magazine’s review. The drill feels comfortable in your hand ergonomic and all that Fahrvergn├╝gen jazz. The motor is full of torque and has plenty of power. Recharge time was one of the shortest compared to its piers it its class according to Wood magazine but I have nothing to compare it to I am still living in Ni-cad land and I am sure everyone knows how that is…..come back in a half hour and maybe the battery will be ready, then use it for fifteen minutes and the process starts all over again! I will tell you one thing when the Lithium is done it is done no gradual slow down like the Ni-cad.
OK the draw backs which are not too major. The way Makita engineered the battery mount is odd I still haven’t figured the quickest way to index the battery into the charger or into the drill or driver. It feels odd trying to push down on the release catch while pulling forward vary odd .The cover that protects the battery not being used will not stay attached to the battery. Well enough of my hot air if you are in the market for a new Drill/Driver check out Wood magazine’s review in issue 209 DEC/JAN 2011/2012 they go into more detail than I did but I am sure you will see that this Drill/Driver stands out from the rest.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

View PCM's profile

PCM

#1 posted 03-11-2012 06:04 PM

I had this drill and impact driver for the last 4 years and I use it all the time. I can not say enough complimentary things about this tool. It is the best battery powered drill (and impact driver). Enjoy your new aquisition.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5109 posts in 1965 days

#2 posted 03-11-2012 06:40 PM

I also have this drill and think it is excellent.

View jaydubya's profile

jaydubya

#3 posted 03-11-2012 10:06 PM

I have the blue version with the bigger batteries. mine has the hammer drill and impact driver and i love the set

View Gabe C.'s profile

Gabe C.

#4 posted 03-12-2012 01:35 AM

I have a Dewalt 18 volt cordless drill and a Dewalt corded drill that collect dust on the shelf because I use my Makita Impact and Drill for everything. Two of the best tools that I have ever purchased.

-- If I could just get this whole "Time/Money" problem figured out...

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

#5 posted 03-12-2012 11:24 AM

Gabe I have used Dewalt for a long time and thought it was the “gold standered” I have to say for right now, Makita is the better drill.I like Dewalt and I would like to see Makita push Dewalt to improve their product even more and then everybody wins!

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

#6 posted 04-27-2012 01:26 PM

I worked as a sheet metal worker for 40 years and all we ever used for the last 20+ are the Makita impact drivers. We use them all day long , every day running in sheet metal screws and tightening bolts and they hold up well. They are strong enough to break off a 3/8” bolt! I have two that I bought when I retired in 2000 and finally had to replace two battery packs. I had them rebuilt at a cost of $22 each. I read in many forums about the trouble of short life of Lithium batteries but never a problem with Ni cads. Ni cads are a MUCH MUCH MUCH more durable battery than Lithiums or Nimhs. I can discharge them down to zero or let them sit unsued for months and they still come back when charged again. They recharge 100% in 20 minutes and with two batteries and a charger one can drill all day long without stopping. As soon as I sense the battery loosing power I switch them out with the one on the charger.
Makita makes great tools.

-- In God We Trust