Powered Respirator at a reasonable price

Review by bowtie posted 853 days ago 2638 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powered Respirator at a reasonable price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like many ljs I have a dust collector and ambient air cleaners in my shop. Although they do a good job keeping my shop clean, while working with cedar I still found myself coughing at night.
I smoked for years and still work as an auto dealer tech so I think my lungs are holding a grudge!
I bought this mask 11-2011 and have used it many hours. It’s comfortable to wear, has a strap that goes over my head to support it’s weight and the same strap slides thru the mask and buckles behind my head to hold it against my face. Because it creates a positive air flow breathing is easy, my reading glasses don’t fog as much and it doesn’t need to be worn uncomfortably tight. I can’t even smell the cedar when wearing this mask!
It uses replacable filters, a cartridge and a woven prefilter. I haven’t had to replace the cartridge yet and being cheap I wash out the prefilters. Battery life is good ( uses 4 AA ), which I have been buying at harbor freight when on sale.
Durability? I view this as a consummable like a cordless tool. If it last 6 months as much as I use it I will order another one.

View jaykaypur's profile

jaykaypur

Thanks for this review. I have been thinking along these lines for a while and this review was a good one.

Question….about how long does a filter last you?

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

bowtie

My wife and I have been power carving ( lancelot and flap disc ) on bowls, trays and live edge projects lately and change the prefilters about every hour. When I get about 5 dirty I wash and air dry them for reuse. Normal sanding
they last about 8 hours. I’m still using the original cartridge filter, looks like new.

-- bowtie,.....jus passin thru.... cccedar.com

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile (online now)

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

I have seen this mask on woodcrafts web site and have thought about it. I have several dust masks and am always looking for an improved version…since all seem to have plus and minus features. My Trend Air Shield Pro is a powered mask and is great because of the filtered air circulation but is big and bulky since it covers my entire head. The rechargable battery is a good feature since it lasts for about 8 hours.
You say your battery life is good with the AA batteries…How many hours of use do you consider good? I can easily spend 8-10 hours at a time using a dust mask and this one might be another choice if batteries wouldn’t get overly expensive to constantly replace.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

bowtie

Greg, I have never timed battery life so these are estimates. I spend time in my shop before and after work but seldom 8 straight hours. Cheap h.f. batteries about 4 hours, duracells about 7-8 hours.
I just got a charger and rechargable AA s but haven’t used them yet.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

I have bought and returned this dust mask for 2 reason:

My glasses were sitting a little too high making it difficult for me to operate my table saw safely.

The positive airflow made me feel like light headed.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View tsdahc's profile

tsdahc

I have this mask as well. For the money I think its a great buy. The trend would be nicer, since I wear glasses but is more than I had to spend. I generally change the prefilter out after about 4 hours of use. I dont wear it all the time, only when I am sanding or using the miter saw alot. Between my shop made air cleaner and switching to a wynn nano filter on my dust collector my shop stays fairly dust free. It is failry comfortable even with glasses and ear muffs on. The only negative for me, and this is true with pretty much all masks that cover just your mouth and nose, if you have facial hair, the seal isnt as tight as I would like, but it does its job.

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

After a stint in the Hospital with lung problems, I bought the Trend Pro and now I wear it all time I am doing any cutting or sanding in the shop. I thought it would be heavy and fall off when I bend over, but have not had one problem with it. I bought the extra battery and charger, so I have a fresh battery whenever needed. I know they cost allot, but how much is your health worth? I enjoy NOT coughing at night.

-- Larry in sunny and warm Hawaii,