First Impression Review

Review by JordsWoodShop posted 03-07-2012 01:04 PM 3618 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First Impression Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a part of the review I did for JordsWoodShop.com – Visit the link bellow for full article and pictures.

__

Recently I purchased a budget friendly (sub $300) 909 branded 12? compound miter saw.

First up I have to say I am very impressed with this unit, keeping in mind this is a sub $300(AUD) unit it is packed full of features that are usually only seen on the more expensive models.
Like anything there are things that could be improved or changed to make the saw suit my specific needs but really at the end of the day these things are easily overcome by doing some simple DIY mods or additions such as attaching an auxiliary fence.

12” 40 tooth blade
Lets talk about some things that made this saw have a positive first impression. I guess the first thing would have to be the way the saw comes out of the packaging, right out of the box this saw came pre-assembled and ready to go, all that was needed was a quick once over to make sure everything was tight and where it should be, and to power it up!
Not only was it ready to go out of the box, it was properly tuned! The blade was dead on 90 degrees to the table, the table was dead on 90 degrees to the fence, the laser line was dead on, etc etc.

On-top of this the features this saw has is impressive to say the least, I wont list all of them as they are all available on the 909 website (link posted bellow) but the ones that really stood out to me is as follows:

Dual Sliding Rails
  • Left and Right tilting blade to 45 degrees – my old saw only had left tilt
  • Dual slide rail system – make the whole saw feel more sturdy and accurate
  • Laser sight – don’t have to lower blade onto the work piece to see where its going to cut anymore
  • tench cutting ability (groove/rebate cutting) – don’t think I would use this feature often but good to have
  • 2400w motor -
  • horizontal handle – makes it a whole lot more comfortable and feels safer

These things may be fairly standard features in saws today but the CMS (Compound Miter Saw) I had been using for the past 4 years had none of these features so to me its a big step up.

Read More...

-- Jordan - http://www.jordswoodshop.com

View JordsWoodShop's profile

JordsWoodShop

View patron's profile

patron

13142 posts in 2061 days

#1 posted 03-08-2012 07:58 AM

took me awhile to find their site

i gather it is australian

is it 220 v
and is the price in pounds

View JordsWoodShop's profile

JordsWoodShop

#2 posted 03-08-2012 12:29 PM

Hi patron,
I believe 909 is an Australian company but I haven’t actually looked into it, so don’t hold me to that.

Yes its 220v and no the price is in Australian dollars,

Regards

-- Jordan - http://www.jordswoodshop.com

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#3 posted 03-10-2012 01:28 PM

I’ve seen 909 in the U.S. before, I think it is basically the same as Triton. Which I think is very similar to Kobalt. My Kobalt saw is very nice for the sale price of $179 I paid. It’s hard to justify $500 to $700 for a Bosch or Delta if you aren’t a fine trim carpenter. Even then, bouncing around in the back of a van or truck I don’t see the point. These lesser known brands have put tools in a lot of hands that otherwise would have to do without because of expense. Have fun with it!!

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#4 posted 03-10-2012 01:30 PM

Here’s the answer – you can buy 9 ZERO 9 tools in Australia and in the States at Sears.