Kreg Miter gauge

Review by OttawaP posted 2231 days ago 4226 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kreg Miter gauge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this gauge recently (cashing in some LV gift certificates) after promising a bunch of picture frames to my wife. It was as good a reason as any to spend some cash at LV. I did do a bit of DD on the two models they offer and found quite a bit of disappointment in the Accumiter gauge on the internet.

My General miter gauge that came with the saw is nice and heavy duty but not so repeatable for anything other than 90 or 45 deg’s. I recently built a ladder shelf that had 10 deg angles and I had to make very sure that anything needing that cut on the table saw were all cut together at the same time for fear of missing by just a bit if I had to repeat a cut. It was a good an excuse as any to but a new gauge.

Upon first opening the box, this unit seems very well made and machined. It just has a feeling of precision about it. Putting it together takes a little bit of time since there is so many parts to install, but all in all not that bad. The adjustable nylon screws for the slot work very well but are tedious to adjust all five of them. Quite fiddle and finicky, but once set it is as smooth as glass as it glides in the slot. I installed my own sacrificial fence and adjusted the flip stop as instructed.

The test……….I cut a 3’ piece of jointed 1×6” pine in half. Turned one side over and checked for a gap……none to be found……perfect. I mean out of the box , no adjustment, dead bang on. Double checked on my engineers square…….perfect. Now the real test…..an 8 sided frame (ugly I know but a good test of the gauge ) . I had also bought the extra flip stop attachment for doing angles and it really came in handy here. Again, cutting all pieces with the flip stop to get the same length, taping the pieces together to hinge them and get a tight fit……the last piece fit like a glove, the joint closed like it was cut with a laser. Very impressive no doubt. I knocked off 10 frames for my wife in no time, all perfect.

The cons……….to me it is a hobby/semi pro level gauge. It is just too light weight for a busy pro shop getting tossed around all day. It needs a steel slot runner instead of aluminum to remove flex from the gauge. This is not an issue if you hold your material over the fence with one hand and the handle with the other hand, but there is flex in the fence gauge only if you get careless. It would be nice also if it had a longer fence extension up to 36” or so instead of 24”, not a deal breaker but it would be nice.

Everything else I really like the gauge, it is clear to read, extremely precise and accurate, and not overly priced. Worth considering if you are in the market. I have wanted the Jessum for quite a while, but since this was basically free, I am very happy with the purchase.

Paul

-- Paul

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

cool great review. I’ve been looking for a new miter gauge. after i try to make one myself if that doesn’t come out good that will probably be my next choice as Incra is too expensive. thanks for the review.

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

Looks like a better choice than the Rockler (see my review) that I just purchased. I keep saying…No more cheap tools and then I go out and buy another cheap solution that I regret for years.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View PCM's profile

PCM

I saw this demonstrated at a WW show and purchased it. The aluminum bar has too much flex and significantly degrades what otherwise be a very good product. For the money you could certainly do better. I rarely use mine. I purchased the Rockler sled and am very happy with it.

View Sprague's profile

Sprague

I have one of these, and i really like it. The feature that I really like is the flip stop. It makes quick work of cutting multiple items the same length. The positive stop pin is also nice. I made a board that hangs on the side of my saw to park it when it is not in use. I think any “Precision” tool needs to be handled with care if you expect it to maintain it’s accuracy. I have on occasion wished the fence was a bit longer, but i am using it on a contractor saw and it would likely fall off as the left wing is short.

I like this miter enough to recommend it. There are also lots of other good ones out, so it may come down to personal preference and cost.