Great new router bit for your collection

Review by T. D. Reid posted 03-01-2012 02:46 AM 4664 views 11 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great new router bit for your collection Great new router bit for your collection No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a great bit that I am using to make Arts and Craft style legs with so that they show quarter sawn white oak on all four sides. The instructions also say that you can use it to build boxes or make drawers but I have not attempted these procedures. The bit comes in two sizes one for use on stock 1/2 -3/4 of an inch and the one I purchased for use on 3/8 – 1/2 inch stock. Now during the set up I did not realize that the bit that I had purchased was meant for use on the thinner stock and I had planned my stock to 3/4 inch. Small print sucks and I spent about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong before I set back down with the instruction and figured it out. I then had to move my shop around to plan a 1/4 inch off of 16 boards for the legs and eight test boards. 3 and one half hours later I was set up for production and routed the joints in a very quick thirty minutes. In Lee Valley defense they warn you up front that set up the first time takes some time and if you buy the correct bit it’s not that bad. I kept the test piece for the next time I use the bit even though it’s not necessary because the PDF on the web site of the instructions provided make it very easy. One important warning is to make sure that all your stock is the same thickness. I had one side that was just a tad thin and it looked bad and I had to cut a new one. I could not be happier with purchasing this bit unless they gave it to me for free. You can purchase it the Lee Valley web site for $50.80. When you put the joint together dry for a test fit its snug no slop and you could use tape as your clamps when you do the glue up. Best of all is that it shows rays on all four sides from the quarter sawn white oak just as G Stickley intended. I cannot emphasize enough that when you look at these pictures to keep in mind that these legs are not yet glued together and stay together standing up while I took the pictures. Try that on a flat 45 degree angle without glue or while gluing it up. Thanks for the opportunity to review this bit for you and I hope that it helps you when choosing this item for your shop. Cheers.

-- Head to the shop its calling you – Todd

View T. D. Reid's profile

T. D. Reid

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1297 days

#1 posted 03-01-2012 03:45 AM

Sold. I like this a lot. Thanks for the review.

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#2 posted 03-01-2012 03:56 AM

I have also used one of these bits (Freud’s take on it). I like it, but the setup is kind of a pain. I want to get one of the blocks to help set it up from rocker when I use it again. It has to be pretty exact in the setup or the joint will be off.

Once it’s setup correctly, it does make one heck of a nice joint. Thanks for the review

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods

#3 posted 03-01-2012 04:23 PM

I have one of those bits in my collection, but have not used it. Your review has given me the interest to try it, and I’ll pay special attention to the setup as you recommend. Many thanks for your review.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Holt's profile

Holt

#4 posted 03-01-2012 04:49 PM

I picked up a stick of UHMW from Woodcraft and cut off a small block of it and ran it through my setup once I had it dialed in. lets me reset the fence height. Just make sure you label the end with the stock thickness. Lets you have one block with a thickness setup at either end.

View LeeInAZ's profile

LeeInAZ

#5 posted 03-01-2012 06:58 PM

There was a really good article in Fine Woodworking #218 about setting up these bits using a digital height gauge. By following the steps in that article, it make it MUCH easier to set up the bit for various thicknesses of wood. http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=33889

-- Lee - Phoenix, AZ

View Richard's profile

Richard

#6 posted 03-01-2012 08:35 PM

I haven’t been able to get mine right yet. Well the weather is supposed to be good this weekend so maybe I will try it again since I really want to use this on some jewerly boxes I want to make. The look of the joint when done right is very good and as stated above the thing holds it’s self together with no glue.

#7 posted 03-01-2012 09:49 PM

The joint produced is specified to be a “Strong joint method”. Are there any stats out there illustrating this? Stronger than what?

View T. D. Reid's profile

T. D. Reid

#8 posted 03-02-2012 11:54 AM

Yesterday I added a solid core the entire lenght of the legs before I did the glue up and it went very smooth. The only reason that I did this was because of the mortise I will use to join the rails to the legs. I used spring clamps, taped them with painters blue tape and then took off the clamp before moving to the next leg. I have to add some type of decrative cover to the tops of the legs because the end is not that pretty and will be exposed.
Roger – I have read some articles in the past about the bit but I don’t remember if they talked about strength. It would have to be strong because of the entire gluing surface that it creates. Guess that now you have any excuses to try out the bit you own. Good luck and email me and tell me what you think of it.
Cheers

-- Head to the shop its calling you – Todd

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#9 posted 03-02-2012 01:57 PM

Roger :
thats only meen its stronger than a butjoint or 45 degree joint :-)
T.D. :
thanks for the rewiew

Dennis

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#10 posted 03-02-2012 02:05 PM

Todd, I also have one of these bits, but have never taken the time to do the set up and use it. I’m a 45 degree, with solid core guy. I think I will give it a try though, since it will make an easier to assemble joint. I use the stretch packaging tape to clamp my leg parts together. It works great and there’s no glue residue to try and remove.

View Viking's profile

Viking

#11 posted 03-02-2012 02:42 PM

Rockler sell a similar bit that has an accessory UHMW setup block for a few extra $$. Makes router table setup quick and easy. But, like Holt points out, once you get the bit and fence setup dialed in you can make your own from UHMW oe even 3/4” MDF.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View Viking's profile

Viking

#12 posted 03-02-2012 02:42 PM

Rockler sell a similar bit that has an accessory UHMW setup block for a few extra $$. Makes router table setup quick and easy. But, like Holt points out, once you get the bit and fence setup dialed in you can make your own from UHMW or even 3/4” MDF.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

#13 posted 03-02-2012 04:02 PM

Todd,
I have a project that I plan to tackle sometime where I need to have a really strong corner joint, so when I get to it I will try out that bit and report back on what I find. I will be a while, hope you can wait.

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#14 posted 03-02-2012 04:20 PM

tenontim:
“I use the stretch packaging tape to clamp my leg parts together. It works great and there’s no glue residue to try and remove.”

That got me thinking… what about those stretchy medical wrap that is often used for wrists and ankles… I wonder if that would work if you were making it closed all the way around…

I used my bit for legs on a short table:

View cdzgardener's profile

cdzgardener

#15 posted 03-02-2012 06:35 PM

Grizzly tools offer this bit in two different sizes and I have them both. I use them in my Grizzly Shaper GO1035 1-1/2 H.P.. They are called corner lock mitre bits and as someone else has stated the wood thickness is critical.To help cut down on set up time I made set-up boards for each thickness that I use most often.To use the Shaper I purchased the right angle jig that fits the t-slot on the Shaper table top,this however will allow you to only mill one edge which is to say one edge flat and the other on edge or in carpentry lingo on the jack.I wanted to be able to use the big size bit to make seamless outside corners for my furniture projects as I abhor edge an end grain. After many fruitless discussions with Grizzly techs I recalled how we did it back in the olden days.So I built a box around the Shaper Bit and with the help of 9-5 inch C clamps.I had originally tried to assist the major amount of stock removal by cutting the stock at a 45 degree angle but the bit cuts it anyway which brings up the point of having a secure way to suspend the stock while attempting this cut,which is were the right angle jig comes into play.One other tidbit I find that it is better to mill one side 1/32 of an inch less so the sharp edge can be softened with hand sanding.Then your buddies will stand there in shock when they can’t find the joint.

-- chucky