Swedish Sloyd Knife

Review by jjw5858 posted 02-29-2012 12:49 AM 4192 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Swedish Sloyd Knife Swedish Sloyd Knife Swedish Sloyd Knife Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just a few weeks back I received this little treat I picked up for myself from the Lee Valley Tools website, a Swedish Sloyd Knife!

This retails for $15.50 and I was plesantly surprised that for a cheaper costing carver knife that this is a very handy shop knife to have around.

I would have preferred wood to the hard plastic handle (AHHH Its 16 bucks..lol)...but it fits nicely to the contours of the hand, has a sharp blade, and cuts nice for a Sunday afternoon of whittling…...(See my new blog if you are interested in that…lol)

Overall length is about 8” with the blade itself 3-5/8”. The sheath as well…would have prefered leather….its hard plastic and it’s usable….. but for my tastes a little difficult for a hike or milling around while bending, moving etc.

I also like the looks of the knife, you can judge for yourself in the attached photos.

All in all I have enjoyed putting this knife to work and I think for the price it is a nice grab for using on some basswood or whatever small cutting jobs might wind up in your shop.

For more info on this knife please visit this link: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=31081&cat=1,130,43332,43393

The history of Sloyd and the teachings are very interesting to learn about…..if anyone has a further interest Roy Underhill has a great episode all about the knife….take a look and enjoy!

Ok friends I think that should do it….hope this may have been helpful to someone out there!

Be well and enjoy the knife if you get one.

Joe

-- "Make something you love tomorrow...and do it slowly" JLB

View jjw5858's profile

jjw5858

View Roman Hrytsak's profile

Roman Hrytsak

#1 posted 02-29-2012 02:24 AM

Nice piece Joe. I teach power carving at my local Lee Valley store and enjoy looking and buying their tools. They also carry a variety of wood species for woodworkers and carvers.

-- Roman:... there are no mistakes, just opportunities for a design change!

View mafe's profile

mafe

#2 posted 02-29-2012 09:21 AM

Hi Joe,
Here in Denmark we almost grew up with thses and every school workshop have these.
They are exelent quality and a well proportioned size and steel.
I can second on that review.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View stefang's profile (online now)

stefang

13043 posts in 1989 days

#3 posted 03-01-2012 05:56 PM

Hi Joe. These Swedish knives are real common here in Norway too. They are relatively inexpensive and of generally good quality. If you cut off most of that blade down to say 1-3/4” long and shaped in a similar way as it is now, you will have an even better carving knife that is very easy to leverage and put pressure on the blade while maintaining excellent control. That isn’t to say it isn’t very good the way it is, but the version I suggest here is also very good to have. I can almost guarantee it will become a favorite.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#4 posted 03-02-2012 12:33 AM

I haven’t heard the term ‘Sloyd’ since junior high shop class in NH, and that was perhaps 1964-’65. Never really knew what they were for, or how to use, and our wall-mounted tool rack had at least 20 of ‘em! Thanks for shedding some light on these knives!

View jacobRM's profile

jacobRM

#5 posted 03-02-2012 05:59 PM

yes! i grew up with them too, just like Mafe.

the one i had at home though was very similar, a Whalers knife from the faroe islands, my dad’s family is from there.

thanks for a good review

-- Cabinetmakers apprentice at PPmøbler Denmark