Very nice little plane

Review by Kerry Drake posted 02-28-2012 06:51 PM 2563 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very nice little plane Very nice little plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this Block Plane for Christmas and just now finally got around to cleaning the grease off of it, waxing the sole, and sharpening the blade.

The blade adjuster seems to work fine and the adjustable mouth is very nice. Fit and finish are excellent.

I use a worksharp 3000 for most of my sharpening (especially when its cold) and I ran right through the grits (80, 220, 400, 1000, 3600) in just about 5 minutes, then dropped a 30 degree micro-bevel on the end.

I was pulling full width shavings from the edge of a maple board AND from the end of the same board. All in all I am VERY happy.

-- Kerry Drake, Loudon NH, http://thenickedfinger.wordpress.com/

View Kerry Drake's profile

Kerry Drake

#1 posted 02-29-2012 12:01 AM

Did you really need to start with 80 grit ?

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

#2 posted 02-29-2012 03:43 PM

I have the low angle version and love it. Jerry

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#3 posted 03-01-2012 04:57 AM

Looks like the old Stanley 18 plane. Sweet plane, it seems. May it serve you a long time. :-)

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#4 posted 03-01-2012 06:19 AM

I picked up the low-angle and the standard together a few months ago—have used the low angle a TON and love it. These are really nice planes, especially for the money

View lashing's profile

lashing

#5 posted 03-01-2012 04:47 PM

Veritas blades no longer come sharpened but 80 grit? Yikes!

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#6 posted 03-02-2012 12:16 AM

Not sure why Kerry felt it necessary to start at 80—mine was usable out of the box just with a light honing.