Very nice little plane

Review by Kerry Drake posted 881 days ago 2540 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very nice little plane Very nice little plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this Block Plane for Christmas and just now finally got around to cleaning the grease off of it, waxing the sole, and sharpening the blade.

The blade adjuster seems to work fine and the adjustable mouth is very nice. Fit and finish are excellent.

I use a worksharp 3000 for most of my sharpening (especially when its cold) and I ran right through the grits (80, 220, 400, 1000, 3600) in just about 5 minutes, then dropped a 30 degree micro-bevel on the end.

I was pulling full width shavings from the edge of a maple board AND from the end of the same board. All in all I am VERY happy.

-- Kerry Drake, Loudon NH, http://thenickedfinger.wordpress.com/

View Kerry Drake's profile

Kerry Drake

Did you really need to start with 80 grit ?

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

I have the low angle version and love it. Jerry

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

Looks like the old Stanley 18 plane. Sweet plane, it seems. May it serve you a long time. :-)

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

I picked up the low-angle and the standard together a few months ago—have used the low angle a TON and love it. These are really nice planes, especially for the money

View lashing's profile

lashing

Veritas blades no longer come sharpened but 80 grit? Yikes!

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

Not sure why Kerry felt it necessary to start at 80—mine was usable out of the box just with a light honing.