Ridgid R86006 drill only combo

Review by cliffton posted 02-28-2012 06:45 PM 2294 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid R86006 drill only combo No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First this was an upgrade from my 15 year old Craftsman 14.4 volt cordless drill. I was unable to source batteries for it and it finally died. That being said I got this at my local HD with a 20% Harbor freight coupon and 10% veteran discount. Taking it out of the box, my first impression was that it was very light and didn’t seem “hefty” enough. That being said, I noticed right away that the batteries had charge indicators on them and they both were at 2 lights out of 4. So I plugged one into the charger and while charging it lights up the level of charge as well. I immediatly went out and put a paint mixer on the drill and mixed 3 gallons of epoxy coat for my garage. You have to mix it for a full five minutes. This stuff was very thick and gooey so it seemed like it would be a good test. At no time did it get overly hot from it. It has bunches of torque, I had to put it on the low setting so that it wouldn’t whip the epoxy out of the bucket. After five minutes of mixing I could hear the battery starting to get low so I checked the level, yep one bar. I checked the battery on the charger and it was good to go. Then I went back out to mix in my grit for the floor into the epoxy. It was very torqy and I had to be careful not to fling the epoxy everywhere.

good:
lots of power
charge indicator
fast charging
excellent chuck
comes with a side handle for bigger jobs
Lifetime Service Agreement, (this was the deciding factor between this and the Dewalt of the same price)
very useful LED work light on it.
very comfortable grip ( I know it sounds nitpicky but some drills just don’t fit the hand well)

bad
carrying case is very cheap, nearly useless
has a shorter batter life than the DeWalt

overall I am pleased with it and with the LSA I hopefully wont run into problems of no batteries again.

View cliffton's profile

edited for bad speeling

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#2 posted 02-29-2012 03:59 PM

Ridgid seems to have taken over the economical quality banner from Craftsman now that Craftsman has gone to Harbor Freight quality (but not prices).

View 308Gap's profile

308Gap

#3 posted 03-01-2012 08:22 AM

Good write up. Thanks for you service Sir.

-- Thank You Veterans!