Central Machinery 14” 4 Speed Band saw

Review by RussellAP posted 02-27-2012 01:16 AM 13749 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Central Machinery 14” 4 Speed Band saw Central Machinery 14” 4 Speed Band saw Central Machinery 14” 4 Speed Band saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Review: Central Machinery 14” 4 Speed Band saw

This is a preliminary review of the saw that I got today from HF.
Price: $360.00
Speeds: 600, 1140, 1670, and 2670 Feet Per Minute
Weight: 179 lbs

This is a first for me, buying not only my first bandsaw, but also buying one without thorough reading of reviews.
I toyed with this saw at the store, I had to straighten out the whole thing before I could see it work, the blade was in backwards, and the saw was completely out of adjustment. Funny, I never used one, but I fixed it. While fixing it so I could see it run, I couldn’t help but notice how well it was made; cast iron everywhere, nice paint job, good roller system and a real motor.

The instructions were well written and the pictures clear. The part list and bolt, nut, washer diagram was valuable. It went together in about 2 hours and was making sawdust.

I have it set to the 1140 setting and don’t see any reason to change that for a while. The blade runs true and the cut feels good.

There is plenty of room to mount a bigger table under it.

One thing you should do while assembling it is to match the holes that bolt the pulley box cover before you bolt the saw to the base. The right rear hole wont line up for the pulley box unless you kick the saw back a fraction.

I’ll update this when I’ve used it more, but the initial cuts I made were great. I cut 1” oak and it had no problem. I’ll probably invest in a first rate blade soon, but the one that came with the saw cuts real smooth.

Also the box that covers the electric is a bit shallow and part of the switch popped out when I remounted the cover, but it is still solidly in place. It’s just too small for those heavy gauge wires to fit in.

I hope this helps someone out.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View jonmulzer's profile

jonmulzer

#1 posted 02-27-2012 01:53 AM

The highest fpm setting is the one you want. My JET bandsaw and most others run at close to 3000fpm. If you think it cuts well now, crank it up a bit and see how you like it. :)

5387 posts in 1980 days

#2 posted 02-27-2012 04:05 AM

FWIW, that is NOT a #32208. It is very similar, but has a few upgrades. In particular the hinged wheel doors, and the tension rod that actually clears the upper wheel guard. I have the 32208 and it is a nice saw for the dollars, but the improvements for this new model are real winners…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Martyroc's profile

Martyroc

#3 posted 02-27-2012 04:14 AM

Hi Russell, Thanks for the review I was tempted by it the other day at HF,but I am always a little leery about real tools from HF, I was looking at the Grizzly Polar bear series and their version is about $475. I am still on the fence about it, as I never put too much stock in HF. Some of their stuff is decent quality, maybe this one of them. I can tell you this about HF, there bar clamps are good and their pipe clamps but the spring clamps are n’t worth them even if they give them free with every purchase. My buddy bought a compound sliding miter saw 12” from them and he has been very happy. Guess its time to go back and tool around with it.

-- Martin ....always count the number of fingers you have before, and after using the saw.

#4 posted 02-27-2012 04:58 AM

Martyroc- I played with this saw in the store. I even got the manager involved and had them print out the instructions. From what I can tell, it’s quality. Lots of heavy cast iron and good motor like tools used to have.

View cdhilburn's profile

cdhilburn

#5 posted 02-27-2012 07:03 PM

I have a 14” HF BS that picked off of CL for $175 with extended table, resaw fence, light, etc. that has worked just fine. When I saw the upgrades that the seller had added I couldn’t resist.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#6 posted 02-27-2012 07:12 PM

Russell, What HP is the motor? Would be interested on how the saw will handle resawing.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

5387 posts in 1980 days

#7 posted 02-27-2012 07:32 PM

For the current model, the specs are as follows (copied and pasted from the HF site…)

You won’t find a better value on an industrial-quality band saw. Cut curves and compound curves up to 6” thick in wood or plastic.
Precision cast iron table tilts 45° for bevel cuts
Table groove for accurate measurement with a miter gauge
Speeds: 600, 1140, 1670, and 2670 Feet Per Minute
Overweight Item subject to $89.95 additional Freight Charge
120 volts AC
60 Hz
8.2/4.2 amps
Frame-to-blade: 14”
Table: 14” x 14” Overall dimensions: 24-1/2” x 19-1/2” x 65-1/2”
Shipping Weight: 179.00 lbs.

The older model, the #32208 lists at 10 amps and 1 HP. I would venture to guess this has the same motor as the older model as I believe the replacement part # is the same…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View PCM's profile

PCM

#8 posted 02-28-2012 01:16 AM

I would recommend getting cool blocks and a wood slicer blade (from highland hardware). You will be amazed at how much better (cleaner and smoother) your cuts are.

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

#9 posted 02-28-2012 01:25 AM

I have the older version with the none hinged doors, and i have had great luck with it. I replaced the blade guide blocks with ball bearing blocks. I re saw with a 3/4 inch 6 tpi blade, oak, pine, purple heart maple all cut very well. I totally recomend this bandsaw to anyone.

-- Ray

#10 posted 02-28-2012 01:58 AM

Raymond- I just came back from Lowes and they have a porter cable bs that looks like it’s made by Central Machine, the single speed model. They want 399.00 for it.

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

#11 posted 02-29-2012 02:52 AM

Hi Russell, I did a comparison of the Harbor Freight wood Lathe and a Jet wood lathe, the diagrams and part numbers were identical. I believe that these tools come off the same assembly line, and some get getter quality bearings or motors, or in some cases there is no difference except for the color of paint and what is charged for the item. I have many Harbor Freight tools and have not had a bad one yet.

-- Ray

#12 posted 02-29-2012 03:26 AM

Raymond- I was in Lowes the other day and their Porter Cable is the single speed Central Machinery model with different paint, and knobs. And it cost about 150 more.

View DaddyZ's profile

DaddyZ

#13 posted 02-29-2012 10:20 PM

I bought a single speed model from Craigslist last summer, $165.00 , I just added a JET Riser block kit.

Fit like it was mede for it. I did have to go to ACE to buy a 3/4” Rod for the Guide lift Post.

Highly recommend it !!!!

-- Pat - Worker of Wood, Collector of Tools, Father of one

View grandpasworkshop's profile

grandpasworkshop

#14 posted 02-29-2012 10:38 PM

Thanks for all reviews I have been looking at one of these for some time

-- Grandpaj

#15 posted 02-29-2012 10:42 PM

grandpasworkshop- I still haven’t had a chance to use it, but some Adirondack chairs are on the agenda.