Harbor Freight Mobile Base with instructions

Review by justholler posted 02-25-2012 05:02 AM 3562 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Mobile Base with instructions Harbor Freight Mobile Base with instructions Harbor Freight Mobile Base with instructions Click the pictures to enlarge them

As with many of the other posts on this item, the instructions were a sticking point. I found out just what that meant and this assembly took waaaaayyyy too long! Fortunately I was building it for a small Grizzly band saw so I used pine instead of hardwood. Had I used stock that was in short supply, I would have been further frustrated.

The main issue is the instructions say nothing about where the wood pieces should stop in the frame. Once you start without the experience, you will be drilling the holes in the wrong place because you stopped the wood in the wrong place (probably too long.) Then there is the issue with stopping the wood clear of the rolling wheels and clear of the neighboring piece of wood. Finally, there seems to be an issue with the number of bolts. Folks, there are 6 holes in each of these 4 corner braces, thus the resulting need for 24 bolts. But, Central Machinery does not expect you will put a bolt in every hole ???!!! So buying 4 more bolts and nuts seems to be the right thing to do.

My best advice is displayed in the picture with the clamp. Get the wood where you want it, clamp it, and use a hand drill to start a “divot” followed by finishing it on a drill press if available.

I think I will eventually buy another one of these because of the price and the overall design suits my need.

-- Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..... Twain

View justholler's profile

justholler

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

#1 posted 02-25-2012 12:57 PM

Thanks for the review and for pointing out the Harbor Freight availability. Boy that sure looks like a rip off of the Rockler version. Do you mind telling us about what you paid? What’s the thickness of the steel? By the way the Rockler version has you guessing about the wood length, too.

View justholler's profile

justholler

#2 posted 02-25-2012 03:49 PM

I paid $40 but someone else posted that they seem to go on sale and you can still use the 20% off coupon? I don’t know about that. The other post said like $28 so for the price of casters I’m not disappointed with the product…most others have reviewed it with the same feeling of “don’t put a table saw on it.” i need one for a planer and a drill press so this product should be considered good for that.

-- Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..... Twain

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

#3 posted 02-25-2012 08:24 PM

That’s a good deal. I think you’re OK with a planer or drill press.

My Grizzly 17” band saw weighs aboyt 280 lbs and sits on a unit made from the Rockler version. That’s why I asked about the metal thickness. Mine are at least 1/16” steel. I use laminated oak for the stretchers.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#4 posted 02-25-2012 08:24 PM

I am on my fourth set, once you get the hang if it it goes together rather well. I used hardwood for my wood pieces. Made one for my jointer. band saw, table saw and wood lath. When they go on sale again, I will get two more for the rest of my tools.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

#5 posted 02-25-2012 10:45 PM

FWIW, I have 2 of these. 1 under my HF 14” band saw, and 1 under my Northern Tool drill press… The first one I set up I tried doing before I owned a drill press. This was what I would nicely call a BAD idea… BUT… once you can drill perfectly straight holes through your 1.25” square stock, these go together easily…

I didn’t come out with the same notion of the instructions being hard to follow. They actually made sense to me, but then again, I am used to reading gibberish…

My main fuss with these is the stock size. The instructions call for 1.25” square hardwood stock. Well, I am cheap, and lazy in this regard… So I just took 2×4 stock jointed and planed to 1.25” thick then ripped to 1.25” the other way… Followed up by cutting to length, I put the metal parts over the wood, then marked where the holes are supposed to, and then took the wood to the drill press…

For less than an hours worth of work, these things are well worth the time and money…

While they are currently $39.99, they FREQUENTLY go on sale for $29.99, and then throw the 20% off coupon on top of that, and you can walk out the door for about $26.00 + tax.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Jimbo4's profile

Jimbo4

#6 posted 02-26-2012 02:32 AM

Everything in my shop is on the HF mobile base. I assembled them exactly like you did, with the clamps. The instructions say they are for only 300#’s, but, I have an eight drawer Craftsman work bench with 1-1/2 maple top
and DVR lathe on top of that. I gustimate the whole shebang weighs somewhere in neighbolrd of 500#’s, with all the drawers full. Hasn’t collapsed yet, and rolls real easy when needed.

-- BELT SANDER: Used for making rectangular gouges in wood.

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

#7 posted 02-26-2012 03:28 PM

I’m waiting for mine to arrive! Although THIS posting is late for me, I have read several other favorable reviews. I went ahead and pulled the trigger, due to the price (unfortunately without sale & only 10% off), it wasn’t worth designing and building my own. Now I can move forward on my new shop setup.

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Gatsby1923's profile

Gatsby1923

#8 posted 02-29-2012 04:41 AM

I have 4 of these bases in my shop. They are a great value when on sale. Though EVERY time i assemble one i curse the directions.

-- I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

#9 posted 02-29-2012 01:05 PM

Gatsby1923,
I challenge you to rewrite those instructions! Oh, and could you do them BEFORE I need to assemble the base I recieved yesterday? Lol.

View hhhopks's profile

hhhopks

#10 posted 02-29-2012 06:47 PM

I thought only Asians are quality to write these instructions : )
I am Asian, but don’t like to write.

-- I'll be a woodworker when I grow up. HHHOPKS